Brisbane City Plan 2012 - Changes to Lot Sizes

The next round of the City Plan has been released.

The mooted changes to the areas where you can have 300m2 lots have been implemented.

I am pretty disappointed to be honest.

300m2 lots in low density residential areas are going to be limited to those within 200m of land in the Centre zone category.

400m2 rear lots are also going to be limited to these areas.

Centre Zone Categories do include corner shops and small offices.

This means that they will be spread throughout the city, however I can not understand why there is not also the same lot sizes allowed within at least a similar distance, or the mooted 400m distance, from busway stations and railway stations.

New table is attached

Attachments

• cityplan 2012 draft lot sizes.pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 362
Thanks for the update D.

When you say centre zone do you mean 'neighbourhood centre' zoning. Hoping so as one of my properties is directly across the road from a small local strip shop and sits on 600+ land. If it can get subdivided to 2x 300 m2 lots I will be over the moon.

Thanks for the update D.

When you say centre zone do you mean 'neighbourhood centre' zoning. Hoping so as one of my properties is directly across the road from a small local strip shop and sits on 600+ land. If it can get subdivided to 2x 300 m2 lots I will be over the moon.

Yep. Centre zones are blue on current one (eg MP4) and greyblue on new plan maps. Very likely that yours is. Have a look on the new plan and if it is not, put in a formal submission so the mapping guys know it is wrong and can change it.

regards

Rpi, is your interpretation of the new plan that low density lots have to be 200 metres from centre zoning, but there is no such requirement for in fill character and low to medium density zoning?

I would have thought low to medium density zoning would apply 400 metres from a train station, except for those specific character areas, don't know about busway stations though.

Rpi, is your interpretation of the new plan that low density lots have to be 200 metres from centre zoning, but there is no such requirement for in fill character and low to medium density zoning?

I would have thought low to medium density zoning would apply 400 metres from a train station, except for those specific character areas, don't know about busway stations though.

Yes only low density. No apparent restrictions on the others.

Not sure if we are all jumping the gun here. Aren't these just drafts. What is the likelihood that they will be approved and enforced.

Not sure if we are all jumping the gun here. Aren't these just drafts. What is the likelihood that they will be approved and enforced.

It's subject to public consultation and government approval, but my opinion is it's generally rare for a complete reversal, unless it is very wrong, there is some sort of public backlash, or disagreement by government.

I think there may be fine tuning, but in terms of the approach of allowing smaller lots, I think it will happen. It seems that there is still protection for character housing, balanced with the need to encourage development.

Smaller lots have to happen to keep up with population growth in Brisbane.

Hi RPI,

It is good to hear now it will only take 20 days to get a subdivision approved in another post. However, the minimum lot size for low density zone seems to be too tough as 300m2 lots in low density residential areas are going to be limited to those within 200m of land in the Centre zone category. I remember from your previous post, it seemed to be OK to subdivide a 700m2 block with 15m frontage to 2 lots with 350m2 and 7.5m frontage each.

With the new rule, to do a standard battle-axe subdivision for a property in low density residential areas but not within 200m of land in the Centre zone category, I will need 600m2 for the rear lot excluding the handle and 350m2 for the front lot. That is more than 1000m2 in total.

Could you please tell me if my understanding above is correct? I couldn't find any other information for subdivision from new draft city plan in council's website. Do you have a web link from council's website or other documents for subdivision?

Thanks Stevannt. timeframe wise, has there been a date for when would public consultation close, plans adjusted, approved and take affect.

Hi RPI,

It is good to hear now it will only take 20 days to get a subdivision approved in another post. However, the minimum lot size for low density zone seems to be too tough as 300m2 lots in low density residential areas are going to be limited to those within 200m of land in the Centre zone category. I remember from your previous post, it seemed to be OK to subdivide a 700m2 block with 15m frontage to 2 lots with 350m2 and 7.5m frontage each.

With the new rule, to do a standard battle-axe subdivision for a property in low density residential areas but not within 200m of land in the Centre zone category, I will need 600m2 for the rear lot excluding the handle and 350m2 for the front lot. That is more than 1000m2 in total.

Could you please tell me if my understanding above is correct? I couldn't find any other information for subdivision from new draft city plan in council's website. Do you have a web link from council's website or other documents for subdivision?

Yes you are correct. There was a lot of political pressure on this one. I think they have overshot and restricted far too much.

Hi RPI,

Does minimum lot size also apply to building attached/detached duplexes in low density residential areas?

Could you please shed some light on the code for attached/detached duplex development in BBC draft plan?

Thanks in advance.

The next round of the City Plan has been released.

The mooted changes to the areas where you can have 300m2 lots have been implemented.

I am pretty disappointed to be honest.

300m2 lots in low density residential areas are going to be limited to those within 200m of land in the Centre zone category.

400m2 rear lots are also going to be limited to these areas.

Centre Zone Categories do include corner shops and small offices.

This means that they will be spread throughout the city, however I can not understand why there is not also the same lot sizes allowed within at least a similar distance, or the mooted 400m distance, from busway stations and railway stations.

New table is attached

Can you describe centre zone categories to me. How do I see them on a map

Back