300m2 and 180m2 lots in Brisbane. Easy or Hard Sell?

Hi All

With the new city plan we are getting ready to push through some new small lot sizes. Already doing corner blocks with the 15x20m 300m2 lots no problems there.

New Minimum sizes
Low Res 7.5m wide and 300m2
LMR3 6.0m wide and 180m2

What are people's thoughts on the 300m2 lots.

You have to design a house and put an approval through for them with the lot but you can then sell the lot freehold.

Where you split into 2 and build the houses, whether they be terraces, look like duplexes, town house alternatives, with the house built I don't see an issue.

I am wondering about just selling land that is 7.5m wide though. Some real estate agents I deal with are somewhat cautious to say the least.

Would love to hear any and all feedback.

D

all depends on locn and current land supply

Obviously that Aint going to go well out west and surrouns but could work well in the 8 k inner ring where you are doing infill plots

Went through the same thing In Smogney 10 to 15 years ago and its worked fine

ta
rolf

Hey Darryl

How are Council conditioning these small lot subdivisions? Do they require the new house on the small lot to be constructed before plan sealing, similar to what is done now with SUDs or do they approve a building envelope plan (or similar) and the new lot can be sold vacant?

Cheers, Liam

My opinion is that I too am skeptical about the 7.5m width rather than the 300m2 land size. I will be very interested to see the designs that will suit these blocks. My ppor is on a 400m block with 13.2m frontage and even though it is single storey and is built to boundary with garage wall I think this is probably the minimum block size I would want for a 3x2 single storey house (personally when it goes to 2 storey i wouldnt want less than 10m). An extra 0.5m would go a long way. I imagine you might get quite a few 2 bed 1 car villa style houses built on the 7.5. Otherwise i think it would definetly have to be 2 storeys.

Just my thoughts

Hey Darryl

How are Council conditioning these small lot subdivisions? Do they require the new house on the small lot to be constructed before plan sealing, similar to what is done now with SUDs or do they approve a building envelope plan (or similar) and the new lot can be sold vacant?

Cheers, Liam

Hi Liam

You have to get approval for the house (Material Change of Use application)

So Council app fees will be
$2200 for reconfiguration
$2075 for house

But there is no indication from Council yet that you actually have to build the house to get title, although that is possible.

D

My opinion is that I too am skeptical about the 7.5m width rather than the 300m2 land size. I will be very interested to see the designs that will suit these blocks. My ppor is on a 400m block with 13.2m frontage and even though it is single storey and is built to boundary with garage wall I think this is probably the minimum block size I would want for a 3x2 single storey house (personally when it goes to 2 storey i wouldnt want less than 10m). An extra 0.5m would go a long way. I imagine you might get quite a few 2 bed 1 car villa style houses built on the 7.5. Otherwise i think it would definetly have to be 2 storeys.

Just my thoughts

Cheers for feedback.

I have seen some great designs around for small lots like this and think if it was built, that would not be so much of an issue. It is the trying to imagine what you can do with such a small frontage when the land is vacant is the issue.

regards

D

i like small blocks (at the expense of higher capital growth if the block is bigger) esepcially if it is a rectangular or squarish shape. i manage to squeeze a 3x2x2 on a 315m2 block. don't have to spend too much on landscaping and outdoor decor. it is a trapezium in shape.

but with a 7.5m width, i assume that council will only accept a double carport to address survellience to the front street. a loft type of residence would also break the mould of a long building.

Hi RPI,

Why not build an attached duplex then Torrens title subdivide them? A lot of councils in NSW allow attached duplex to be built on 600m2 block with min 15m frontage or detached duplex on 700m2 block with min 15m?

Hi RPI,

What is the rule from BCC regarding water drainage issue for the development site sloping away from the street front? Does BCC allow water retention tanks or have to get easement from the neighbor?

It is interesting that the council in which I am doing my development does not allow water retention tanks but the council next to it does allow it.

Brisbane has only recently changed.

You must get a signed refusal form from all downstream neighbours before they will entertain any other options

Back