Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

The biggest contributors to obesity in my view are availability and advertising of highly processed foods. If you make foods that are high in sugar and fat very available, people will eat them. If you normalise these foods and normalise very large portions through advertising and availability, people will eat them. Over time they will eat more of them.
Add to that: palatability, price and effort to prepare. Prepared foods are very cheap. Unprocessed foods are even cheaper, but require effort to prepare. I actually prefer the flavour of unprocessed foods but prepared foods are considered highly palable.

paleo isn't necessary, they're just silly fads.

Care to explain how a diet that has been in existence literally since the dawn of man is a fad?

I'm not some paleo guy, although my diet consists (mostly) of non-processed foods (sometimes I might have noodles or a little pasta) and I drink lots of beer.

Eating food that was naturally made to be eaten (aka non-processed) just simply makes the most sense to me.

I suggest you read Daniel Kahneman's 'Thinking, fast and slow.'

I already have.

However good habits are less likely to be sustained when you live in an environment where high sugar and high fat foods are cheap and constantly available.

Firstly, fat is not the problem. Certain fats (aka, those found in non-processed foods) are good for you. It's sugar that is the problem.

The rest of your post is just one giant excuse.

Care to explain how a diet that has been in existence literally since the dawn of man is a fad?
The act of giving it a label and specific rules (ie. no carbs) is what makes it a fad. Also, the real "paleo" diet was literally whatever people could find. If you dumped someone from 10,000BC into a candy shop, he'd clean out the whole place.

Why not just eat healthy foods in general, rather than trying to adhering to these quasi-religions? It doesn't take a lot of brain cells to figure out lettuce is healthier than pancakes.

Also don't forget that modern lifespans are a lot longer, so it's not always wise to copy your ancestors. ie "Paleo" man didn't often die from cancer because they were dead before they could get cancer.

Read Clean and Lean Diet by James Duigan you only need moderate exercise 3 times per week. Diet is not a fad it is how we are meant to live.

He says you can have one cheat meal per week.

No, I disagree.

This is a simplification. These sorts of statements are very common, and are unhelpful in addressing what is becoming a very serious problem for society. They are also based on a flawed understanding about how people make decisions.

If people really could make a 'set and forget' decision no-one would be obese, or at least very few. We would all simply decide 'I will only eat healthy food and I will take a reasonable amount of exercise,' and then do only that. This is not how people make or implement decisions. I suggest you read Daniel Kahneman's 'Thinking, fast and slow.'

The biggest contributors to obesity in my view are availability and advertising of highly processed foods. If you make foods that are high in sugar and fat very available, people will eat them. If you normalise these foods and normalise very large portions through advertising and availability, people will eat them. Over time they will eat more of them.

If you rely on willpower to resolve the obesity problem you will fail every time.

Simplifications like 'You just need to pull yourself together and make better choices,' may be ok if you are trying to motivate an individual but are useless if you are trying to tackle the problem on a societal level. What matters/works is habit formation. We make small decisions every day based on our habits. So retraining ourselves to new habits is effective, as long as those habits are reasonably sustainable and pleasing to some degree. However good habits are less likely to be sustained when you live in an environment where high sugar and high fat foods are cheap and constantly available.

The biggest contributor to Obesity is jamming the wrong foods into your gob, and not moving off the couch. No-one puts a gun to your head and says eat chocolate cake!
Actively exercising self control is the only answer IMO.

This is correct. I like veggies, nuts, fruit... all the healthy things. My problem is that when I am hungry and it is not mealtime, I am not surrounded by veggies, nuts and fruit. I am surrounded by chocolate, biscuits and cake.

What is stopping you from taking responsibility and having veggies, nuts and fruit
available?

Last edited:
No, I disagree.

This is a simplification. These sorts of statements are very common, and are unhelpful in addressing what is becoming a very serious problem for society. They are also based on a flawed understanding about how people make decisions.

If people really could make a 'set and forget' decision no-one would be obese, or at least very few. We would all simply decide 'I will only eat healthy food and I will take a reasonable amount of exercise,' and then do only that. This is not how people make or implement decisions. I suggest you read Daniel Kahneman's 'Thinking, fast and slow.'

This is not a set and forget decision it is an active decision that needs to be worked at, the same as most important decisions in our lives. [/COLOR

A simplification is to say that you only have to eat healthy food, it is about balance.

Healthy foods are as available as unhealthy foods.

If you rely on willpower to resolve the obesity problem you will fail every time.

That is what I would call a simplification and totally untrue.

Simplifications like 'You just need to pull yourself together and make better choices,' may be ok if you are trying to motivate an individual but are useless if you are trying to tackle the problem on a societal level. What matters/works is habit formation. We make small decisions every day based on our habits. So retraining ourselves to new habits is effective, as long as those habits are reasonably sustainable and pleasing to some degree. However good habits are less likely to be sustained when you live in an environment where high sugar and high fat foods are cheap and constantly available.

Agree, but how is eating healthily not reasonably sustainable or pleasing to some degree?

For 95% of the population it is about taking responsibility for your actions, if you don't who do expect will?

I'm guessing you're talking work.
Take veggies, nuts and fruit to work on a Monday, how much time would that take?
Probably not much. I was just thinking after your last post that I'm not really that unmotivated. I usually exercise for about an hour on two days a week and for around 90 mins, three days a week. I have a scheduled exercise program, which I easily stick to.

I don't have a nutrition plan but I could have a nurition plan. If I did, I would stick to it. "I will only eat healthy food" is not a plan. I have taken the time to develop and investment plan and I have stuck to it. I have taken the time to develop an exercise program, which I mostly stick to. Now it is time to develop a nutrition plan... and stick to it! :)

Fixed that for you.
Takes the same time to prepare/eat the right foods as it does to eat the wrong food.
pinkboy
Considering I exercise an hour 2 days a week and 90 minutes on 3 days a week, I would not categorise myself as "lazy". In terms of the "right foods", a packet of biscuits from coles take zero time to prepare. Conversely, vegetable sticks with hommous takes time to prepare. I know which I would prefer. It's more a matter of planning rather than lacking self control.

Probably not much. I was just thinking after your last post that I'm not really that unmotivated. I usually exercise for about an hour on two days a week and for around 90 mins, three days a week. I have a scheduled exercise program, which I easily stick to.

I don't have a nutrition plan but I could have a nurition plan. If I did, I would stick to it. "I will only eat healthy food" is not a plan. I have taken the time to develop and investment plan and I have stuck to it. I have taken the time to develop an exercise program, which I mostly stick to. Now it is time to develop a nutrition plan... and stick to it! :)

Hope it works out;)

I'm not some paleo guy, although my diet consists (mostly) of non-processed foods (sometimes I might have noodles or a little pasta) and I drink lots of beer.

So you have a nice rounded beer gut:p, but other than this, all good, love it when the diets work;)

Michael Mosley, is a UK doctor, who does documentaries on food and how it affects our health.
One I watched a year ago was the fasting diet. aka 5:2 diet.
You would eat whatever you wanted during your 5 days, but on the 2 fasting days, you didn't eat anything. The 2 fasting days could not be consecutive.

I tried that...I found it difficult..because I really don't need to lose weight.
I was more interested in the CRON (calorie reduced, optimum nutrition) part of the show.

Studies showed that during the 1930's Great Depression, when their food intake was reduced their life expectancy actually increased .
Animal studies were done, and this was confirmed.
They have tried it with apes, and so far it really hasn't increased their lifespan, but it improve their health, in their latter years.

It also talked about diabetes. It is the fat layer on top of the liver, that causes the problems. As soon as that was taken away via diet, the diabetes went away. There is a very strict diet for this, that should be done under the care of your physician. Why wouldn't everyone be willing to do this, to stop diabetes? It takes 6 weeks.
This is a link to it:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html

I was reading an article in the reader's digest last night about Italy has so many 100+ , percentage wise.
They agree it is because they ate less, didn't do strenuous exercise, just normal everyday stuff.
Doesn't seem to be any magic pill....just the need to not buy junk..except for an occassional treat.

Last edited:
Back