Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

“The Truth about Exercise”

There's an interesting BBC show coming up on SBS this week (or available on the internet) titled “The Truth about Exercise” With Dr Michael Mosley

The Truth About Exercise

I watched this a couple of weeks ago on SBS. An interesting show on exercise and it's health benefits, its also delves into some of the science involved such as the 24% improvement in insulin sensitivity using HIIT and the benefits of increasing NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Time)

Michael Mosley goes on a journey to discover the truth about exercise, revealing the latest scientific discoveries about how our bodies respond to a workout.

Six minutes of exercise a week may be all you need...

Whether you’re running, swimming, cycling, or hula hooping, we have always been told that doing regular exercise will improve our bodies and is one of the keys to a healthy and happy life. But is a one-size-fits-all approach to maintaining an active, healthy lifestyle really the best advice?

With recent advances in genetic testing technology and brain stimulation techniques, scientists are uncovering new and surprising truths about what exercise is really doing to our bodies, and why we all respond to it differently.

Michael discovers the complex interplay between genes and environment that helps to explain our individual responses to exercise. He also finds out that, in order for us to get the most out of exercise, we need to do the right type of exercise, at the right time and in the right place.

Find out why six minutes of exercise a week may be all you need to stave off heart disease and diabetes. Find out why you shouldn't exercise in the morning, why drinking beetroot juice can make us exercise for longer and why for 20% of the population, no matter how healthy their lifestyles are, exercise is destined to have a negative effect…

There's also a write up here

Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

A few relatively short bursts of intense exercise, amounting to only a few minutes a week, can deliver many of the health and fitness benefits of hours of conventional exercise, according to new research, says Dr Michael Mosley. But how much benefit you get from either may well depend on your genes.

When I first read studies which suggested that I could make significant and measurable changes to my fitness by doing just three minutes of exercise a week, I was incredulous.

Last edited:
Calories are calories.

About 6 months ago I was eating Pizza, McDonalds, KFC for probably 80% of my meals for 4 or 5 weeks.
I was doing no exercise during this time and ended up the leanest I've ever been, good muscle definition and visible abs in the right lighting.
It was the lightest bodyweight I've been in a long time.

Now, I'm eating healthy again and exercising, and, gaining weight.

It's not the type of food you are eating which determines your body composition, it's the calories excess or deficit.

If you want to lose weight, eat anything you wan't, but below maintenance calories.
Good to have enough protein though, to grow or maintain muscle, which will burn more calories at rest.
Calories are Calories...but gee on that 80% diet of high fat and fried food i wouldnt suggest to anyone to eat what they want because it worked for you...even if it is below daily intake

Suppose to avoid everything these days aren't you though, laughing , sex, fun , all no good, you'll be struck down :eek:

Really, everywhere you look someone's claiming this or that,I don't buy it or the obese thing. Just more hysteria - epidemic - Australian media small town rubbish. People live longer than ever so.
You didn't need to go to lower class areas to see plumpy oldies when I was a kid ,seemed typical and they wouldn't of dreamed of doing some walking thing either , now they all do it and they're thin. And every school had chubby's , life. Hard to find on average without a search now though, I take it as media/come stats on everything now garbage to be honest..
Seen school carry on now , their canteens , they're worse than the damn media. Our canteen stocked the lot didn't hurt us but all my kids can buy is fruit, health bars, health smoothies,more hysteria .

Me I go the French - eat what you want because it's real food but in true Australian form , we carry on about quality yet our food just interfered with, packaged crap, covered in chemicals , GM , and definitely not fresh.They reckon that's the real difference and why they don't put on weight.
But that's all against the law here , one of my brothers is trying set up what "we" call an organic market garden. You should see the absolute bs, he's not even aloud to deliver fresh eggs' veggies in he's ute down to the local shops - there, Asia, many, that's normal life , via wheel barrows , trollies , push bikes , staright from the garden or ocean, 10x "real" and fresh anything we buy here.
Why should so called here , "organic" , cost double everything else too with none of the expensive crap on it of normally supplied food, because they do to it what they do to my brothers market garden, such bs, just Australia burying itself in it's own bs again.

The Asians , live on rice/grains,veggies, but it's "real", fresh, food, some of the healthiest people in the world so I dunno.
It's crazy stuff here.

WEIGHT LOSS FOR FOOD LOVERS

I like this book and highly recommend this, have a read, its changed my life, stop dieting - its cruel and gets in the way of living a full life.

http://www.weightlossforfoodlovers.com/review-by-kate-lovett-othermenu-16?task=view

This writer who happens to be Australian (that's a change) also believes the French have got it right one reason for this is because they eat the largest meals in the morning or afternoon and very light in the evening.

Diets don't work and the stats prove it... 80% regain the weight and some more.

Cheers, MTR

Last edited:
This writer who happens to be Australian (that's a change) also believes the French have got it right one reason for this is because they eat the largest meals in the morning or afternoon and very light in the evening.

Like the old adage

Break-Fast like a King
Lunch like a Prince
Dinner like a Pauper

It's not rocket science.

Watch almost any piece of film footage from around say; 1965 and earlier....almost never a fat person in any.

Now, watch almost any piece of film footage on the news where there are groups of yer average everyday folk involved; mostly beached whales.

The norm now is to be overweight tending to worse.

What's changed since 1965?

Exercise volume; maybe - lots of driving 300m to the milk bar and so on these days, but people are still moving - just not as much as often.

Diet? Absolutely. In 1965 the best you could do for take away was fish and chips and maybe pizza. Very few kids (or adults) got endless access to coke and chips etc. They were occassional treats.

Everything else was pretty much cooked at home.

My BIL and SIL - he works hard and only eats savoury things - basic meat and veg bloke (plumber in the mines). Away from home a fair bit.

The SIL is a sloth, and is a size 18 who thinks she's a size 10 (maybe her clothes have size 10 printed on them now to make the girls feel better? I'm sure that's the case now).

Both their girls are huge already at ages 12 and 9. The girls are reasonably active.

Why the massive blow-out then? diet of crap - I've seen their regular daily menu.

It's pretty simple; what did humans eat before shops were invented?

Whatever they could grow and/or catch, and drank water or milk..

Hi Bayview

Your quite right it is not rocket science, everyone knows what they should and should not be eating.

Why so many overweight/obese people today, as you mentioned poor diet - easy access to fast foods, processed foods etc.

However, one thing you have not mentioned which is very important and that is for many people food is an addiction just like alcohol, cigarettes etc. This is also outlined in the book I recommended earlier.

I was watching a show on Fox where they interviewed morbidly obese patients (UK) where surgery was performed reducing their stomach to the size of a walnut.
Surgeons performing these operations sadly have long waiting lists for this procedure.

The surgeons also mentioned that society does not recognise the fact that food can be an addiction for many people and that you can not just stop eating which makes it so much harder for food addicts to manage this. Imagine an alcoholic trying to drink 2 glasses of wine per day, it wont happen.

Cheers, MTR

Last edited:
Hi Bayview

Your quite right it is not rocket science, everyone knows what they should and should not be eating.

Why so many overweight/obese people today, as you mentioned poor diet - easy access to fast foods, processed foods etc.

However, one thing you have not mentioned which is very important and that is for many people food is an addiction just like alcohol, cigarettes etc. This is also outlined in the book I recommended earlier.

I was watching a show on Fox where they interviewed morbidly obese patients (UK) where surgery was performed reducing their stomach to the size of a walnut.
Surgeons performing these operations sadly have long waiting lists for this procedure.

The surgeons also mentioned that society does not recognise the fact that food can be an addiction for many people and that you can not just stop eating which makes it so much harder for food addicts to manage this. Imagine an alcoholic trying to drink 2 glasses of wine per day, it wont happen.

Cheers, MTR
I would put it to you that there were plenty of people addicted to food back in the '60's - or go back as far as you like.

That's nothing new; just like ciggy or drink addiction isn't new.

We can try to put the blame onto something like addiction as an excuse I suppose...just like those folk obese folk who reckon "It's in my genes" and so on.

It's pretty hard to die of morbid obesity related diseases if you are addicted to say; tuna, lettuce, fruit and water etc.

It starts with choice, and in this day and age of instant information - every parent and every teacher knows what a good nutrition path to follow is..

Parents who have overweight kids (and are usually that way themselves) should be totally kicked up the arze; they should know better because the kids don't go out and buy the groceries, or drive themselves to the drive-through, or pay themselves pocket money with which to buy coke and burger-rings, or....

you get my point.

Kids aren't totally blameless though; they are taught good nutrition habits and are bombarded with info on it every day; even The Wiggles, Hi-5, etc push the message. But my 11 year old won't volunteer to eat fruit, or salad - we have to enforce it or he'll just elect to eat junk if it's around. The 3 year old son is better - at the moment - he actually asks for things like mango, apples and bananas, but lately we've had those frozen icy-tubes in the freezer and he asks for those a lot.

But I'm not even talking about a morbidly obese state; just an "overall appearance" the average now is to be large to extra large - and I'm not talking being 6 foot 5, and/or spending 25 hours a week in the gym - just yer average mom and pop at the Mall.

Quite amazing.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the modern use of the word 'addiction' to describe emotional crutches e.g. food addiction, pr0n addiction, gambling addiction. Sure, these emotional crutches can be as difficult to kick as a physical addiction but ultimately they're purely a psychological issue and I'm not sure that treating them as a physical medical condition is the answer (e.g. stomach stapling). What use is getting a stomach stapled if one hasn't overcome the mental/emotional addiction?

We have recently cut out pretty much all pre-processed and junk food from our weekly food shop. Not only are we all losing weight and feeling better, but the food bill is nearly half of what it used to be. It's pretty easy to shop for food and eat this way - buy single ingredient food wherever possible then you do the combining and cooking.

I wonder how long it will take me to burn off the almost 10,000 calories I had yesterday?

You could probably jog a marathon distance and still have some surplus calories to burn ;)

Maybe you can console yourself with the below :D

Swim star Michael Phelps fuelled by 12,000 calorie a day diet

A BREAKFAST of champions is more than just a bowl of Weet-Bix for US swimming superstar Michael Phelps.

The 23-year-old is swimming his way into the record books fuelled by 12,000 calories a day.

That's six times the average calorie intake for a 23-year-old man.

NBC America revealed Phelps starts the day at 5am with three fried egg sandwiches topped with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayonnaise.

That's followed by a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits (porridge), three slices of French toast with powdered sugar, and three chocolate-chip pancakes, all washed down with two cups of coffee.

By lunchtime though Phelps, who is contesting eight events in Beijing, needs refuelling.

That comes in the form of half a kilo of enriched pasta, two large ham and cheese sandwiches on white bread with mayonnaise, and nearly 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

Cont...

He was in full-scale training for the Olympics though

I've cut out all bread, pasta and rice and have noticed a massive difference in my health - not necessarily weight loss (although have lost a couple of kgs).

I've had diabetes for a few years and have cut out all sugar, but its the carbs that really do the damage.

My blood sugar level going through the roof causing headaches and just generally feeling tired and unwell. Its not normal yet, but getting there.

I wonder how long it will take me to burn off the almost 10,000 calories I had yesterday?
aah, yes....Xmas pudding and copious drinks. That'd do it. :D

A fairly beserk half hour session on an "elyptoid" or bike riding machine will get about 500 calories off from memory.

Therefore I encourage anyone to read a bit more into what Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) has unearthed in his years of research into eating and living Primal. Don't just glaze over it...read into it and it all comes together and makes perfect sense (to me anyway).

From Mark Sissons site

Get The Primal Blueprint and Paleo Girl on Kindle for Just 99 Cents Each - sale still on at Buck Books

Have a look at the way Elle MacPherson does and how she eats.

I am following the book from her personal trainer, lost 10kg in 4 weeks. Cut out all the crap basically.

Yeah, it's not rocket science. Don't eat processed food. Easy peasy Japanesy.

It's the sugar that is in virtually every single product on the supermarket shelf that gets you.

Woah! Thread resurrection from 2012. Love it! Personally, I don't find it at all "easy" to control my weight. As an adult, I have fluctuated between 75kg and 115kg. I am now sitting around 95kg, which should be 85kg max.

I pretty much know it all when it comes to diet and exercise and I know exactly what I should be eating and how much. I ride to work and home again most days (1/2 hour each way) and run three times a week when I can. Activity is not an issue for me.

The problem is that I am surrounded by junk food all day and I like it. My issue is not that I can't stop eating it, it is that I don't want to. I have proven in the past that I can stick to healthy eating, and I lost big kg when I did. For a while though, I have not been motivated to. I think that is the difficult part. Must try harder next year ;)

Back