Regrets

DT, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

It sounds like the discussion with your father's colleagues today was helpful? Which is great.

I hope that in the process of making all of these arrangements for your father's effects, and his funeral, you come to find out more about him, and hopefully that helps give you some more closure.

That is wonderful that they were able to share those memories with you and cared so much about your Dad to give their details to the mortuary.

As I said before, take things slowly, enlist the aid of your family and friends (and my offer still stands) and arrange things.

For his belongings I would get a removalist to pack it all up and move it to your place (if possible) then you can go through it when you are ready.

Hang in there DT. Can't even imagine going through this. Looks like the chat with the people who kew him helped you.

All our thoughts are with you. Please accept any help you are offered from family and friends - that's what they are for.

All the best

I too have a similar situation, A father who I haven't spoken to in over 20 years who lives an hour away from me, but I fear that making contact would be very damaging for other family relationships, some of which are alreay shaky.

D.T.: This will be a strange time, but none of it is your fault. Don't be hard on yourself, after all you were the child and the responsibility that was shirked was not yours.

I'm so sorry for your loss - particularly the general loss of not having your dad in your life without knowing why. I imagine he wasn't able to cope.

amazing that your posting this has led others to reach out to their families (I'm sure more even than those who posted). Thank you for sharing and helping others.

Back