Ladies over 35, would this offend you?

Ladies, what would be your reaction

• I don't know what it means

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I would be mortified

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I'd give him a clip around the ears for being fresh & it would end there

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • It's a compliment. I'd be secretly thrilled.

Votes: 31 63.3%

• Total voters
Well, it seems that of the 38 ladies that knew what the term meant, only one of them would be offended by it. I wasn't sure if it was an over-reaction by this person or not, seeing as I'm not moving in circles where this term is used in general conversation, it was hard to tell, and Somersoft is always a good sounding board for so many more things than just property.

Also, I'm somewhat older than this person & while I perceive those in the older age brackets are probably more likely to be hurt by this term, I'm led to believe this lady has lived a rather sheltered life, while I have adult children but am willing to discuss anything. I also have many acquaintances that are quite younger than myself, due to involvement in sport.:D

I perceive the problem was that:

a) she didn't know what it meant
b) after looking it up, was horrified & took it as literal
c) she doesn't particularly like the person who said it (he's not a FILF):p
d) it is quite crude
e) took offence that the words 'Mother' and 'F' were used in the same term, as if it had some kind of bearing on anything. That is, she takes her job as a mother very seriously & this somehow cheapens the act of motherhood.

All in all, this makes things kind of awkward as I have to deal with both of them.

Eventually the works will become so politically correct that of you say to a woman is attractive , she will get her knickers in a knot and accuse you of being sexist and seeing her as a sex object only

Eventually the works will become so politically correct that of you say to a woman is attractive , she will get her knickers in a knot and accuse you of being sexist and seeing her as a sex object only

Welcome to 10 years ago

Oh please. This 'we can't saying anything any more because of political correctness' is nonsense. We have more freedom of speech now than in any time in history.

50 years ago, had you called a married female friend with children a 'MILF', you'd be ostracised by your entire social circle and considered obscene and a sexual predator.

Likewise, any book worth reading was banned, movies and TV were censored to oblivion, you'd have to stand up during God Save the Queen at the cinemas (they played the song before the movie started), sex was not to be discussed and religion was not to be criticised.

A few hundred years earlier you would be executed for questioning the church, criticising the class structure or the monarchy.

But apparently because not all women are flattered by the idea of an iffy male deeming her worthy of copulation and we can't throw the N word around, political correctness stifles our society.

I'm not crazy about the term 'hot' either. Not because I find it offensive, but because it's the sort of vacuous compliment uttered by the likes of Paris Hilton (that word actually became hugely popular in the early 2000s because of her reality TV show in which she declared things 'hot' in that mind numbing voice of hers).

A compliment now isn't a compliment unless it is vaguely sassy or has some sort of sexual connotation. To me, this isn't about political correctness, it's about a society that worships shallowness and flippancy.

Oh, and I'm not a prude. I've read the works of the Marquis de Sade, adore A Clockwork Orange and have been knows to pepper my sentences with the C word ;)

So, in closing, you have the right to call a woman a MILF. She, in turn, has the right to be offended without people whining about PC.

Back