An interview with monalisa and MsAli

Hi,
Good read, you've done well in your jobs, education investing and lives.

My only question is, have you though about asset protection in terms of if either of your were in a serious relationship which went sour?

This is something me and my sister struggle with continually.

I think that the only asset protection relevant for a serious relationship which went sour is a pre-nuptial agreement. Otherwise, legally, everything gets divided into two.

How about if you take equity out and use that to pay for all short falls before getting into a relationship? This way avoiding any contribution by their partners in the future.

One thing, which often annoys people and is sort of relating to msali's mindset is most people's reluctance to change and to a certain extent blaming others.

I often can hit a few nerves when i giv eno sympathy to someone who is in financial difficulty because they leased a 50k car, or for someone who is overweight because they spend more time at McDonald's then home.

If you want something bad enough, then you will go for it and attempt to change yourself to achieve it, if you can't be bothered then it's either unrealistic or it's not that important to you.

I hope I'm not completely off topic to what you said msali!:D

One thing, which often annoys people and is sort of relating to msali's mindset is most people's reluctance to change and to a certain extent blaming others.

I often can hit a few nerves when i giv eno sympathy to someone who is in financial difficulty because they leased a 50k car, or for someone who is overweight because they spend more time at McDonald's then home.

If you want something bad enough, then you will go for it and attempt to change yourself to achieve it, if you can't be bothered then it's either unrealistic or it's not that important to you.

I hope I'm not completely off topic to what you said msali!:D

That is true, you must go after what you want because no one will just give it to you.

Totally, you just have to want it (and take action!) - and rest falls into place.

I'd be interested more in asset protection, will start another thread. I also think prenups is the way to go.

Agree with Truly Exotic :)!

I posted somewhere else, that I sometimes end up investing myself in other people's outcomes and try to motivate/encourage them. However they would not learn till they are ready to learn the lesson. Blaming is easy, but it keeps you from moving in a positive direction. It's not easy to change. However it's not impossible.

It is 'chakde phatte' and it means: "Keep It Going, Well Done" :)

And here i was thinking "Chuck a Paddy" was acting like a spoilt brat :confused:

Great intereview girls, look forward to an update and review in a few years, in fact that would be great for most of the subjects in the interview thread...a revisit to see if plans and peceptions had changed over time

PS: When's your interview due Propertunity, I'm sure you alluded to one somewhere?

When's your interview due Propertunity, I'm sure you alluded to one somewhere?

We're in the process of rejigging our web-site and I have a marketing guy doing something similar on me, for it. I was being lazy and hoping he'd do it for me. ;) But I suppose I should write it myself without any of his marketing spin :)

Great intereview girls, look forward to an update and review in a few years, in fact that would be great for most of the subjects in the interview thread...a revisit to see if plans and peceptions had changed over time

Ahhh - great minds thing alike :D

I am at this very moment thinking of a "Revisited" series of interviews - same questions X years on. Guess we'll have to start with the 2 oldest ones still around.... :p

Stay tuned......

The Y-man

Great interview girls - you have done sensationally and destined for great things. That "twin" support is priceless.

It's really interesting how times have changed since (ahem) a few of us were your age ... the expectation was that girls didn't go to uni, have careers or buy real estate (in fact, you couldn't get a loan without a male guarantor).

I'm proud you girls are starting out in a world where anything is possible - and a little bit envious.

Great interview girls - you have done sensationally and destined for great things. That "twin" support is priceless.

It's really interesting how times have changed since (ahem) a few of us were your age ... the expectation was that girls didn't go to uni, have careers or buy real estate (in fact, you couldn't get a loan without a male guarantor).

I'm proud you girls are starting out in a world where anything is possible - and a little bit envious.

Thank you Lizze. That is incredibly encouraging. Wow, yep I've heard from some women colleagues who bought homes in their 20's in the 90's and had a heap of trouble getting loans; not just that they mentioned nothing like a career really existed back then.

We are fortunate indeed and yep having twin support is the biggest blessing in this world.

Good work Girls. very motivating and truly Migrant to a millionnaire story. Keep on sharing your success.

Thank you mate :)!

Thanks Lizzie, so kind of you. Being a twin is great - we have found that most people don't tend to understand the bond - but for us its great, two sets of opinions, so we are able to make better decisions.

Good work Girls. very motivating and truly Migrant to a millionnaire story. Keep on sharing your success.

Thank you! :) Looking forward to how the future shapes up.

Hi, well done.
My sister is still extremely angry that the bank manager wouldn't give her an appointment. She wanted to borrow $26K to buy a house on Kangaroo Island.
By late 90s, it was easier.

I didn't think about it but I went to the bank in uncoordinated top and track pants & not matching track shoes. Very hard to get a loan, an Asian woman with no job asking for a loan?

NAB told me they'd give me $90K based on my $240K house.

I decided to pay higher interest and got $200K from a private lender.

So girls, go for it.

KY

Great interview - well done girls! Great to see people, especially women, of our age group doing so well.

I think I'm the same age as you (26) so it will be interesting to see what you both get up to. My husband and I just bought our first IP this month. We would have loved to start sooner but he only just got his permanent residency 2 weeks ago and has been working part-time due to still being at uni. I also work in a field that's not known for having lots of jobs or very high wages, so it took a while for us to get "settled" in the money side of things. I've been in full-time work for 1.5 years now.

All the best for the future. I'm sure it will be very bright :)

Great interview - well done girls! Great to see people, especially women, of our age group doing so well.

I think I'm the same age as you (26) so it will be interesting to see what you both get up to. My husband and I just bought our first IP this month. We would have loved to start sooner but he only just got his permanent residency 2 weeks ago and has been working part-time due to still being at uni. I also work in a field that's not known for having lots of jobs or very high wages, so it took a while for us to get "settled" in the money side of things. I've been in full-time work for 1.5 years now.

All the best for the future. I'm sure it will be very bright :)

Thank you cimbom. Congratulations on your first purchase!

Best wishes for your property journey. We have learnt that all what is needed is an intention - and the rest comes together :)

May be it is your mum who needs to be prised. Imagine your life if your parents didn't send you to an international school and then moved here! I think you would have been married with five kids now if she didn't do that :)

@Cimbom - thanks and well done to you on your IP purchase :)!

@Devank - Actually it was a local private school :) Yep, definitely...our mum's opinion counts for a lot on our purchases! I don't think we would have been married with 5 kids but I don't think we had good prospects back there. So pleased and grateful to call Australia home!

Another inspirational interview!
Girls, how did you get so wise at such an early age? I mean 'wise' not just 'intellectual'?
To me personally, it's inspiring that such young people are so switched on. I can see you steering your own ships, so keep up the great work.
I like how you concentrate on your DREAM and are learning to deal with details or challenges.
I can see how you really understand that it may start with property journey but it also becomes a personal journey too, right?
Ms Ali, my story is similar to yours in some ways - I started in year 9 in Oz too and went to UNI and then, guess what? I did IT and worked in it for exactly 9 years and 9 months before switching to self-employment.
Yes, IMO, Australia is still a lucky country, but only those who choose to believe it will see that.
Keep posting your progress.....well done girls!:)

Back