The reno I didnt want to start

You would want to hope there is not a local front bar within walking distance when they run out of smokes,the last drywall fixer I employed
paided him 4k cash for materials and fit-off,went off at smoko to buy some food smokes paper on the way went into the local hotel and put the lot through the pokies in 2 hours drinking op rum.,comes back in a taxi blind drunk and needed a loan of 1 k to get through the next week..good luck..

Holy Crap!.

Pokies are so scary to me, ive never tried them, not 'game' to, might be stuck playing them forever.

I put a curve in the long visible edge so that looking up there will be no line where the vertical plane meets the horizontal.
A curve? :confused: Looks like you have the steel corner beading in to give a square edge?

Looks good, what lighting will you put in there?

Edit: ohhh, the curve at the top! looks really good :)

Edit 2 : the plaster will be quite thick in the corner? it hasn't cracked at all as it's dried/shrunk?

I have put in 12 metres of LED strip lighting - tucked up out of sight unless you stand with your back to the wall and look up over the protruding edge. Cost was $50 from Bunnings. Only problem is that it's a cold white light as opposed to warm white. I'll need to wrap it in some cellophane or something up to warm it. It's intended more as a lighting effect - there are other ceiling lights in the space to give proper illumination.

No cracks so far. I used that mesh tape and did two bedding coats and a top coat.

I've decided that I might as well do a proper job on the floor. So I'm going to bite the bullet and grind it. I really want an epoxy finish and they all say that it needs to go over bare concrete. Grinding will take out some of the imperfections when the original slab was done back around 1970, too.
Grinding a concrete floor, which I have done before, is one of those less pleasant tasks. It's the sort of job you don't stand there and think about or take breaks. You just get into it and do it till it's done.
You're right, Westminster, it is going to be a pretty flash garage.

The ceiling is still going. I haven't got cranky, yet.

I've been very busy renovating, but I think someone asked for the product I used. (Must be in another similar thread, because I posted photos, which I cannot see here - it's been a loooooong day). I looked up my bank statement and the company listed was Concrete Coatings Australia at Wacol. When you google that, a different company name comes up.

The actual product from memory cost me about $200 and was definitely a Part A and Part B mix together and apply before it sets type of thing.

I am very happy to dig out the actual invoice (held at my brother's house) if someone wants to know exactly what I used.

I bit the bullet yesterday. It was a nice day, so I decided on an impulse to stay home and grind that floor. I went out and hired a machine and before I knew it, I was into it.
Awful job - so getting up and into it on the spur of the moment was the way to go. As was not stopping till it was done.
Took about 4 hours.
First with the diamond blades, and then with the finishing blocks. Those machines are a real handful - harder to control than a wayward shopping trolley. Ideally, it's a two person job - one person on the machine, and a second person clearing the dust and keeping the cords out of the way.
I ended up with 6 big buckets of concrete dust.
The hire fee was $450.
It's messier doing a concrete floor than a wooden one, but there is less risk of a disaster.
Thank God it's done.

Attachments

• sander 1.jpg
    sander 1.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 117
  • sander 2.jpg
    sander 2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 113
Nice! Did the hire fee include the blades and finishing block or is it like with wooden floors where you buy them separately?

The fee included all that - and the vac. The vac sucked up a decent amount of the really airborne stuff.

If anybody ever feels the need to fake a moon landing, they would just get a concrete floor and a grinder. It looks just like footsteps on the moon - probably need to rethink the Volley sandshoes, though.

Attachments

• moon 1.jpg
    moon 1.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 81
This what that bloke who drew the short straw and was the second man on the moon probably would have liked to do to Neil Armstrong (if he had a buggy).

Attachments

• moon 3.jpg
    moon 3.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 60
I think you might need a little lie down... :p

You are either very tired or have breathed in too much fine dust. You are having way too much fun with that dust... :D

Awful job...Took about 4 hours.
First with the diamond blades, and then with the finishing blocks. Those machines are a real handful - harder to control than a wayward shopping trolley. Ideally, it's a two person job - one person on the machine, and a second person clearing the dust and keeping the cords out of the way.
I ended up with 6 big buckets of concrete dust.
The hire fee was $450.
It's messier doing a concrete floor than a wooden one, but there is less risk of a disaster.
Thank God it's done.

Good to know this. Huge floor. Looking forward to the next steps here.

I hope I can do this on the mossy pebblecrete south-facing patio in Frankston. :eek:

I can't see why one of those concrete grinders would not work on pebblecrete.

Our garage dweller is due back in about 3 weeks - we think. It's hard to know with her. Boy, will she get a surprise. When she left I said, 'I might have a muck-around with that building while you're away.' At least the roof is done.

Still waiting on the world's slowest gyprock guy to finish setting the ceiling. very wisely, he is doing a good job. No point doing the floor till he has finished. I'm optimistic about getting the ceiling painted this weekend so I can do the floor next week if this rain in Sydney stops.

Need to sheet the bathroom and waterproof it. That's this week's job. Then it's a tile bed and tiling.

Bathroom is waterproofed - see other thread.
Ceiling is done, finally. He did a great job, but boy he was slow. And I knew at the start he underquoted, so I paid him way over the quote.
Walls have been touched-up.
Windows glazed and steel painted - but will need to be repainted because the new Killrust water based product is complete rubbish and I have rust appearing already.
When this rain stops, I'm going to have a go at the floor. I've done a bit of research on epoxies and I'm going with a Taubmans industrial coating that was called iCoat but is now called something else that I can't remember.

I feel a colour coming on.

Attachments

• garage floor colours.jpg
    garage floor colours.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 62
Okay, green it is.

Or it will be soon.

'Lettuce', to be precise.

I'm keen, I think, to see what a 65 sqm green floor will look like.

Photos next week if the rain stays away.

The recessed light looks great. The only thing I had to buy was the LED strips - $50 from Bunnings.

Attachments

• garage light 1.jpg
    garage light 1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 87
  • garage light 2.jpg
    garage light 2.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 100
The floor pre painting.
So after grinding the floor, I vacuumed it, hosed it out, acid washed it, and vacuumed it again. It's now dry enough to paint.
Gee, it's a big room when all the stuff is out of it.
Now that I have filled in the apron where the roller door is, it's a 300mm step up there. Down the track I will make an interesting door for that opening.
Note I put 9 double power points around the room - can't have enough of those.

Attachments

• garage floor 1.jpg
    garage floor 1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 85
  • garage floor 2.jpg
    garage floor 2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 90
Back