The market today.. the good the bad and the ugly

i'll be back in a month.

just leave it til the end of the weekend - this is the only thread he is mentioned in, and even then it is dying a quick and painless death.

sk is soooooo yesterday's news. the state of world economy barely rates a mention on the evening news atm.

on the positive - my shares are up around 18% today ... phew!

The fear that's around is very real for some people. I had a margin call yesterday, which I paid (remember that risk management stuff I bleat about?), but my wife wasn't particularly pleased.

The way I see it, in ten years time I'll almost certainly be glad I kept up regular investing, even through the difficult times.

I watched a certain uni professor from Western Sydney a few weeks ago on 60 minutes and was strongly reminded of the investing advice I always seem to get from taxi drivers on the way to the airport. And I gave it about as much credibility.

FWIW, let's all attack the arguments rather than the poster - I for one am interested in having my own assertions criticised in the interest of forming smarter and more tightly controlled strategies.

It seems that part of the disagreement arises out of simple terminology. How do we define a housing downturn.

In your post you say:

Today prices have not dramatically fallen.

And then in the next paragraph you say:

This is not to say there are pockets going sideways, down and down dramatically.

I think this seeming contradiction can be best resolved by focusing specific housing markets rather than talking about "the housing market" as if it were one homogenous entity. There are regional factors and price range factors that need to be considered. Some segments--regionally and price ranges--are no doubt in something close to free fall. Some segments are holding up quite well. Some segments have seen enormous bubbling over the past few years and will doubtlessly fall even more than Keen's trumpeted 40%, others will probably do quite well and appreciate in value.

I am all for putting this "my economist is better than yours" argument to rest. it is neither productive nor interesting.

Different sectors of the housing market will react to different changes in the economy. Perhaps we would be better off looking at these individual sectors rather than making broad generalisations.

Segments of the market that I see decreasing spectacularly:

1. Luxury, vacation homes. I think a lot of the people who buy these are probably very exposed to shifts in the share market and upheaval in financial institutions. 2nd & 3rd homes can be disposed of with minimal inconvenience and margin calls may result in forced sales.

2. If unemployment rises I think we will see a lot of sales by all classes of people who purchased their homes in the past 2-3 years. People who purchased IPs (without really knowing what they were doing), people who upgraded a little beyond their means, FHBs who took on debt that could only be supported by both partners working full time. Basically everyone who is operating at or near their limit when it comes to servicing the mortgage. And a lot of people are under mortgage stress. When they get retrenched, lose their overtime and/or one of the partners loses their job they may very well have to get rid of the house and get rid of it quickly--especially if they are carrying heavy credit card debt and other debts (car loans, etc.)

Whereas Aus. doesn't have the same degree of exposure to sub prime loans and exploding ARMs, there is a lot of indebtedness and debt stress weighs heavily on large segments of the population. an extended downturn will obviously do a lot of damage to these groups of people. And given all the turmoil, I don't think it is reasonable to assume that you can have your financial markets decimated without it having an impact on your larger economy as a whole. that's just dreaming.

3. Property Investors - one danger of a moderate decline in prices is that the property investors who are in it primarily for the capital gains might decide that there money is better off elsewhere. Again, more houses on the market, more downward pressure. The impact of this will obviously be felt more in areas with high concentrations of investment properties.

4. Affordability & credit. If you talk about demand and rent putting a floor under housing, affordability and credit have to be the ceiling. As I see it certain sectors of the economy have their noses pressed up against that ceiling. Primarily FHBs. Typically they have less income and less savings. Less income makes the wage/debt ratio more daunting and less savings makes credit harder to come by. The FHOG increase may help a little with the latter, but does nothing for the former. In the current climate it does not seem reasonable to expect FHBs to play a significant role in supporting bottom end housing prices for these reasons. Rather than going up, this ceiling is coming down and reducing the maximum amount these people can pay.

That is how I see certain segments of the market reacting to the current state of affairs. I do think it will take some time--at least 1-2 years--for the full impact of this change to make itself felt. Nobody can say for certain what the outcome will be, but I do not think it is "extreme" to predict very substantial drops in housing when you consider how extreme the run up over the past 6-8 years has been and how extreme and volatile movements in the share markets and global financial markets have been.

0-10% either way is extremely conservative, I think. Canberra (my stomping ground) saw a 4% drop in Aug. and a 2.5% drop in Sept, making for 6+% drop in average home prices in two months alone. Yes, this was (in August, not so much in Sept) on very low volume and yes it is too early to call a trend, but the future doesn't look bright. October saw a hellish month for the share markets and that could not have been good for property sales, this volatility will no doubt carry on into November (and well beyond I think), December and January are very slow months anyway so it is not till February that we might see some reinvigoration of the market. But if we get 6 full months of declining numbers... well, people might be inclined to call that a crash in progress.

Different sectors of the housing market will react to different changes in the economy. Perhaps we would be better off looking at these individual sectors rather than making broad generalisations.

Good post urchin - kudos. Some other aspects to think about include:

1) FHBs: They have now been helped a lot with deposits side of the equation and their incomes have only been going up. With IRs coming down and values flattening at best, affordability is only getting better for them. I don't see how it is getting worse? There are many areas where the rent vs buy decision is approximately equal already. I can't see these areas dropping in value much unless they are in an abandoned mining town or something. If anything demand and prices for bottom end properties will increase because of affordability issues in the general market.

2) Blue ribbon: As distinct from luxury / vacation I think there are some select blue ribbon suburbs in our cities where very few people have a mortgage. The wealth in those suburbs is unlikely to draw out the required number of forced sellers to drop values significantly compared to the middle class "aspirational" suburbs.

3) Rental stress: From what I see around me there is very significant scope for rents to keep increasing in a number of areas. Many renters are only paying less than 20% of their incomes on rent and this could go up a lot. Other areas are getting maxed out on rental affordability already. Investing in areas where this is currently low gives you significant room for upside.

4) For my money, good cashflows are excellent protection through these times, as usual. I find it difficult to see how currently cashflow neutral (or near enough) properties will fare badly with low IRs in a high inflation environment and consequent rent increases.

5) Of course if unemployment goes over 10% then anything could happen to property prices across the board. There will be some superb opportunities then for those who can take them. Let us hope it doesn't get to that! For those who think this is likely and are waiting for it prior to investing, well we all take our risks don't we? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ahhh...isn't this lovely, now we are discussing ideas and potential strategies, at times agreeing with one-another, and more importantly using the numbers system....knew Kenneth would rub off sooner or later.....:cool:

Kudos to the recent posters...I'm now getting something out of this thread and good to see it has reverted back to the main points Tcocaro outlined....;)
:)

Hi everyone,

The thread originally posted posed a question in the title "self fulfilling".

Given that FEAR is the greatest primal instinct we have, therefore it has the greatest power to motivate people and the one thing people FEAR the most is losing MONEY. So I guess my question is, what was the true impact ??

Hey Joe Jo and all,

My local research tells me that yes FEAR is rife within homeowners and investors ranks.

This FEAR is manifesting not in big price drops but in decreased volumes of quality listings and sales.

So fearful people are NOT panicking yet. They are instead sitting on their hands. They are keeping their properties and sitting out the storm.

The dropping interest rates should ensure that these fearful ones gradually become more comfortable. Then the gradually rising rents should make them even more comfy.

I am getting a buffer and sitting it out. A lot of other developers/investors are doing the same.

Seems to me that 10% or stagnation would be a lot more likely than 40%.

Main street here hasn't been touched yet.

Will it? Hang on, my crystal ball is clouding up....

properties will increase because of affordability issues in the general market.

2) Blue ribbon: As distinct from luxury / vacation I think there are some select blue ribbon suburbs in our cities where very few people have a mortgage. The wealth in those suburbs is unlikely to draw out the required number of forced sellers to drop values significantly compared to the middle class "aspirational" suburbs.

Cheers

Very good point here.

This is something that is often overlooked and perhaps when considering your next investment people's, one of these areas might be a top choice. Each micro-area has it's own little set of variables which make it more or less susceptible to getting flogged in the tough times (i.e to name a few)
(1) average LVR's
(2) socio-economics
(3) population density
(4) debt to income averages
(5) Un-changeable greenbelts (of any kind)

I know some people might dissagree with some of this, but I find them vitally important for so many reasons when picking my properties.

It is hard to tick every box no doubt, but when I see an area which doesnt tick any of these boxes, well I stay far far away.

I know it isnt a perfect science, but it has worked well thus far.:cool:

Great post TCOCARO.
Balanced and well thought out.
I think this market is the most difficult to read for years.
I think its going to come down to where unemployment is in 2 years.
If it is 9% in 2010 as predicted by JP Morgan, then all bets are off - and we will see the 40% drops predicted - not across the board but certainly in the "cheaper" areas of SE QLD (maybe Ipswich , Logon , and parts of the Gold Coast).
My bet is unemployment won't go that bad - but 7% is more plausible.
We are selling our IP in Brisbane as we think that part of Brisbane may see falls of 20% over the next few years if unemployment does rise and immigration slows ; and also to lower our lvr to a more manageable level - I remember all too well seeing our townhouse in Mudgeeraba fall from 130k in 1993 to a value of around 85k in 1998 before it finally boomed 5 years later and then we sold it for a reasonable profit - even though they don't have the same building oversupply as in 1994 up there currently; rising unemployment and less immigration (esp if unemployment rises and the Fed Gov slows migrant intakes) would change that situation.
As far as Sydney goes , price drops will probably be not as pronounced. In fact currently there is plenty of activity in cheaper parts of our suburb Baulkham Hills - last Saturday we watched an auction on a house that sold for 40k above where its real value is IMO.
As far as the 14k first home owners grant , expect that to be extended past June 30th 2009 if the economy slows as expected - the government will be keen to keep the building industry alive.
David

Edit - I just checked prices in Mudgeeraba and our townhouse we sold 4 years ago is actually FOR SALE right now. Thats spooky - if they get the price they want then they will make a small profit so thats good...

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, HiEquity.

1) FHBs: They have now been helped a lot with deposits side of the equation and their incomes have only been going up. With IRs coming down and values flattening at best, affordability is only getting better for them. I don't see how it is getting worse? There are many areas where the rent vs buy decision is approximately equal already. I can't see these areas dropping in value much unless they are in an abandoned mining town or something. If anything demand and prices for bottom end properties will increase because of affordability issues in the general market.

I would have to disagree with the above.

Incomes are going up, but how much are they increasing vis-a-vis inflation? I know mine is falling well behind (especially as I do not own a home outright, unlike many of my colleagues for whom housing inflation is not an issue). The extra 7k is really a non-issue when you are looking to buy a house that is 350-400k (the bare minimum around here). If 7k is all that is holding you back, you probably don't have any business buying in the first place. Affordability has increased slightly in the past couple of months because of lower prices, but the only way to further improve affordability is to reduce prices even further.

As far as rent/buy parity, I am guessing this is one of those factors that will vary enormously by region. In Canberra, it would cost me roughly double my current rent to buy a house comparable to the one I am renting now. That is after a fairly substantial deposit. I could get a house for the same I pay in rent now, but it would be several suburbs out and require me to use all my savings--thus losing potential interest/investment income, etc..

In order for buying to make sense in Canberra, for a FHB, rents would have to go up significantly and/or prices would have to drop by about 20-25% at least. This huge gap between rent and purchase price is one of the factors that makes me think a significant drop is coming.

Since the rest of your post is primarily concerned with investment and since I am primarily interested in a PPOR, I will leave it to others more qualified to respond :).

Point me in the direction of any property that has dropped 40% overnight and I will buy it! The trouble is that these will be snapped up quickly!

I agree that a 10% fall is possible in some segments....but not all markets fall together.:D

Sash

Jeez, where were you two years ago when we had plenty of properties in possession in W Sydney and no-one wanted them at 40% less than the previous purchaser paid?

0-10% either way is extremely conservative, I think. Canberra (my stomping ground) saw a 4% drop in Aug. and a 2.5% drop in Sept, making for 6+% drop in average home prices in two months alone.

Median prices for single suburbs can drop +10% during a boom. So yes, 2 months is far too early to call a trend. In fact, it's not even worth mentioning.

Hi, don't know whether anyone agrees - feel that irrational exuberance has become irrational fear.

How about this for a plan? Max out borrowing & return to paid employment. Then use funds to steadily accumulate shares in super. Pay back the loan monthly.

Say $100000 divide into 4 lots of 25K. Each time the ASX drops to 3500, buy.

If it drops to 3000, buy.

If it stays at 3600 in May, buy.

Or decide on a date. Say, April 2009. Buy 25K. Then Oct 09 buy 25K. With any luck, might hit the all time low. After all, Oct is BLACK.

100K seems like not quite enough. Maybe 250K.

KY

Just a quick question Urchin....Do you own, or have owned any property?
Is this PPOR you are seeking the first property buy for you?

I don't seem to remember any details about your personal experience with property here on SS, but please do point me in the right direction....;)

Just a quick question Urchin....Do you own, or have owned any property?
Is this PPOR you are seeking the first property buy for you?

I don't seem to remember any details about your personal experience with property here on SS, but please do point me in the right direction....;)

I just moved to Aus a year ago, so I am looking for a 1st home. Have lived in Japan and all over the place in the states and there is no other word for property prices here beside "insane" :)

Median prices for single suburbs can drop +10% during a boom. So yes, 2 months is far too early to call a trend. In fact, it's not even worth mentioning.

Well, its not a suburb that is dropping, its canberra as a whole. too early for a trend perhaps but not something to be ignored, at least I don't think so.

I agree to a certain extent. Canberra did have an unusually strong upswing at the end of 2007 (skies the limit type stuff) so given the current circumstances and its recent highs it should be no surprise to see prices pull back a bit. However despite strong price growth for years to have dropped between 0-2% from its highs recently (those are the stats) not 10% I would say thats pretty good.

Regardless I agree with you, it cannot be ignored however its too soon to call it a trend and if anything 0-2% is really flat lining anyways not falling.

The other problem in Canberra which I have found over the years (developed 4 projects there and know pretty much everyone in the industry) is that sentiment swings are much higher than the rest of the country. For instance most parts of the country are focused with house prices whereas Canberrians genuinely fear recession. In my view its because they are so close to the action that the fear factor is heightened.

-- but again I am not discounting your point, its valid.

Well, its not a suburb that is dropping, its canberra as a whole. too early for a trend perhaps but not something to be ignored, at least I don't think so.

It seems that part of the disagreement arises out of simple terminology. How do we define a housing downturn.

In your post you say:

And then in the next paragraph you say:

I think this seeming contradiction can be best resolved by focusing specific housing markets rather than talking about "the housing market" .

I understand what you are saying however I disagree with your stance that we shouldnt be referring to the market as a whole. For instance there has to be a point in which you say the "market" has "risen" or "fallen". For instance I am sure there are people making a motza with the wild fluctuations and sure there are certain markets, stocks which are bucking the trend but regardless the market is falling i.e. the index as a whole.

When people say that house prices are falling they are usually referring to a particular sector to use share analogy i.e. a suburb, state etc but not the whole market as a whole and I see this as wrong and confusing to someone listening.

Even when property prices are heading south there are still those sectors which are still growing but this is irrelevant. If the market as a whole is falling then thats more important to highlight than the set of suburbs bucking the trend.

The only main point I want to make is that when people talk about a "crash" the first thing that MUST happen is the market as a whole must average downward and significantly - this just hasn't happened regardless of the dark clouds above. Theres no good in screaming out "crash" and refer to a single suburb or area e.g. western sydney as proof. Its the "market" that counts when talking about such macro claims as a "crash".

2. If unemployment rises I think we will see a lot of sales by all classes of people who purchased their homes in the past 2-3 years. People who purchased IPs (without really knowing what they were doing), people who upgraded a little beyond their means, FHBs who took on debt that could only be supported by both partners working full time. Basically everyone who is operating at or near their limit when it comes to servicing the mortgage. And a lot of people are under mortgage stress. When they get retrenched, lose their overtime and/or one of the partners loses their job they may very well have to get rid of the house and get rid of it quickly--especially if they are carrying heavy credit card debt and other debts (car loans, etc.)

Whereas Aus. doesn't have the same degree of exposure to sub prime loans and exploding ARMs, there is a lot of indebtedness and debt stress weighs heavily on large segments of the population. an extended downturn will obviously do a lot of damage to these groups of people. And given all the turmoil, I don't think it is reasonable to assume that you can have your financial markets decimated without it having an impact on your larger economy as a whole. that's just dreaming.

Basically what your saying if there is a recession and then depending on how deep it is then this will impact house prices - ofcourse. My main gripe is that some people (without mentioning names) didnt even wait for growth to go into negative, didnt wait for it to go negative in two consecutive quarters i.e. for technical recession nor waited for it to show a trend downward but still found it sound judgment to predict "depression" for 5-10 years.

3. Property Investors - one danger of a moderate decline in prices is that the property investors who are in it primarily for the capital gains might decide that there money is better off elsewhere. Again, more houses on the market, more downward pressure. The impact of this will obviously be felt more in areas with high concentrations of investment properties.

Disagree. The above statement assumes the investor being somewhat a dim wit. As your earlier statements pointed out there are parts of the markets that go up and go down. If an investor through experience and sound judgment elects to invest in a market which shows potential then they will still make money. - Regardless I know what your trying to say perhaps you should change the reference of "Investor" to "gambler" - just because you buy property doesnt make you an investor if you didnt research i would classify you as a gambler not investor.

4. Affordability & credit. If you talk about demand and rent putting a floor under housing, affordability and credit have to be the ceiling. As I see it certain sectors of the economy have their noses pressed up against that ceiling. Primarily FHBs. Typically they have less income and less savings. Less income makes the wage/debt ratio more daunting and less savings makes credit harder to come by. The FHOG increase may help a little with the latter, but does nothing for the former. In the current climate it does not seem reasonable to expect FHBs to play a significant role in supporting bottom end housing prices for these reasons. Rather than going up, this ceiling is coming down and reducing the maximum amount these people can pay.

I can live with this statement. However on every downturn credit gets tighter and as time goes on it gets looser again. Regardless I agree it will be a dampener.

Furthermore I agree that with the eradication of 100% 105% and to a large extent 95% loans will have an impact but also remember the number of people taking up such loans where in the single digits. Regardless I agree it acts as a ceiling. However if there is enough demand for eggs even the roosters will start laying.

Nobody can say for certain what the outcome will be, but I do not think it is "extreme" to predict very substantial drops in housing when you consider how extreme the run up over the past 6-8 years has been and how extreme and volatile movements in the share markets and global financial markets have been.

Extreme run up over 6-8 years? Surely your excluding NSW from that claim?

Also whats happening on the equity markets dont translate to what will happen in property markets.

And as I said earlier when you say things like "very substantial drops in housing" people in industry like myself take this as a reference to the market as a whole and I don't agree given the evidence today.

Think I answered the Canberra stuff in another post.

However I think I agree with about 50% of what you said and perhaps 80% of (where your coming from).

I just moved to Aus a year ago, so I am looking for a 1st home. Have lived in Japan and all over the place in the states and there is no other word for property prices here beside "insane" :)

That's exactly what my Dad thought when he moved here from NZ in 1977.

The maximum he could borrow (based on my parents disposable income living an extremely frugal lifestyle on their average wages) with the high deposit required and other financial technology at the time was equal to about what it is today, a basic, 15year old 12sq 3x1 house 48km SE of Melbourne in the suburb of Langwarren.

He even had to pay a mortgage broker $1000 to get him a loan as he had no banking history in AU (note cost of property was $25k).

I agree, prices do seem insane. Thing is they usually always are.

I agree, prices do seem insane. Thing is they usually always are.

Now that is an understatement IMHO....

I for one thought I'd never be a home owner....until I was "educated" (after school mind you) to the ways and means of investing...particularly property.

I have a friend who always says he'll wait till prices drop before he buys a home.......been saying it for 15 years now......:confused:

Now that is an understatement IMHO....

I for one thought I'd never be a home owner....until I was "educated" (after school mind you) to the ways and means of investing...particularly property.

I have a friend who always says he'll wait till prices drop before he buys a home.......been saying it for 15 years now......:confused:

Yeah, it's a bit like "I'll wait for prices to drop, but I would never buy in a recession" ??

Some people just catn accept short term losses, so they make long term losses instead i.e. the guy who has been renting one of my properties in QLD for almost 30 years. He could have bought it for $20k back in the day, but I guess it was just too damn expensive for the time :confused:

Back