The market today.. the good the bad and the ugly

Although I have always loved to talk about the economy and particularly property on this forum recently the threads have descended into a farce.

Rather than partake further on the existing threads particularly those on Keen I have decided to start a new thread. The idea being that hopefully I can express my views and hopefully start a more sane discussion on the topic, admittedly I will probably fail. To be clear I am not trying to wash my hands of the recent insanity in many posts but at least I have put a halt to it.

The main reason why this discussion has been so difficult is not because of the gravity of the issue being discussed namely the future of the property market but more so the drivers behind some posters.

I for one am a developer, obviously have a perceived bias towards property but in the end of the day I run a business and not part of a religious sect blindly worshiping property.

In addition to developers, there are builders, investors, realestate agents, wanabe economists, home owners and also people who hate all of the above or at very least feel they are spruikers or specufestors.

Many people bring with them a preconceived view on what each poster “truly believes” and see theirs posts in that context. For instance if I post a stat showing price movement to the positive the response is usually, the data is faulty or I am scratching the bottom of the barrel for some good news while ignoring the negative – because the preconceived view is that I am perpetually positive about property.

So rather than scream at one another lets try our best to take a calm approach and see what’s happening today first then predict tomorrow and then the long term.

Today prices have not dramatically fallen. Aside from commercial property funds that are highly geared and forced to sell on a market where there are no buyers, or other funds forced to revalue their book values on commercial properties there has been no sign of “dramatically” falling prices in the residential market.

Volume of sales has dropped substantially but there has been no equally dramatic fall in sale prices. Regardless of ones personal views or anecdotal evidence to the contrary or ones perception of stats being wrong this is the reality today. This is not to say there are pockets going sideways, down and down dramatically.

Is there downward pressure on prices? Yes ofcrouse, Adelaide, Brisbane, NT etc have been very strong markets in 2007 and the fact they are not posting similar growth rates e.g. BRISBANE LGA\SD between 1-3% (last qtr) is proof of this.

The question that should be asked is does this point to a dramatic fall in prices? And no matter how embolden you are with your own views that we are heading for prices falling by 40% its not happening today or tomorrow.

Therefore to assume prices of 1-3% will turnaround to -40% anytime soon is definitely not going to happen regardless of how sound you believe the modeling of one man e.g. Keen is or how sound his theories are. Further more, It’s not helpful to compare Aus to other countries. If you cannot get over not comparing Aus with other countries at least acknowledge that even the US which I am sure most would agree have bigger issues than us in all aspects of their economy. The US posted price falls over the last two years of 17% since peaking in early 2005 and started to fall in 2006, not 40% and its not a “sudden” thing like the media would make most believe i.e. that America just woke up last month to figure out something was wrong.

So prices fell by 17% over a period of 2-3 years? This despite the US being without a doubt the epicentre of the ills of the world today. The price fall when a bubble bursts is it’s most pronounced immediately after the fact hence the analogy of a bubble bursting therefore it would be logical these prices falls will slow and theres even recent evidence of this, read fin review yesterday.

The US experience does not help in anyway when trying to understand the Australian situation. Those who hold the view that we are heading for the abyss will quickly claim “but what makes us so special that the same cannot happen?”. Its not about being special or wishful thinking its simply the facts. We are not the USA, we did not have anything near as a pronounced boom in property prices, nor in speculation and unlike them we don’t have a glut in properties – they cannot even rent them out they are demolishing them.

Now the problem with my assessment is that there will be always figures like debt to income ratios that people will throw up in support to linking Aus with USA but we must at least agree that there are enough factors of difference to warrant the position that a different outcome will be produced in terms of pricing.

Therefore to argue a 40% fall before unemployment has risen markedly, before growth has fallen markedly (in negative) and before crucially prices have fallen markedly then claims such as Keens are “Extreme”.

However many will claim that just because they are extreme doesn’t mean they are wrong. Ofcourse not but more times than not they are and the recent crisis is not a valid example to disprove this view. I for one have not been following the US, UK or Europe so I cannot comment if they have blindly walked into this crisis and ignored the “extremist” views. However the extremist view here in Aus has not manifested itself into massive price falls, not by a long shot.

There’s there perversely almost a wanting by those who are screaming out 40% falls for it to happen, it’s almost as if they are reveling in the prospect of this occurring and this is not helpful. Especially when the likes of Keen have so obviously been contradictory in so many aspects of what he has done personally and what he has advocated.

In short based on the information we have today and filtering mainstream media which are only to happy to scream boom when prices rise by 1% and death and destruction when they fall by 1% we should see the economy for what it is.

The economy will slow, the US, UK and many other developed nations will be in recession either technically or notionally. This will undoubtedly lead to a slowdown in Australia which will put downward pressure on property.

The finer details such as shortage of supply, rental prices etc will obviously play a roll in putting a floor on prices but in the end of the day the tug of war between increasing unemployment, sentiment and economic fundamentals will mean at worst case we will see “real price” falls of 0-10% over two or so years, in best case 0-10% “real price” rises over two years and most likely somewhere in-between. To claim depression at this stage does not even warrant discussion.

However the most important point to take away is any view is an industry view, there will always be suburbs that go up and down e.g. in the last qtr, Manly (Brisbane) dropped by approximately 35% recently however East Brisbane, Carindale etc posted double digit growth 18,25% respectively. So in the end of the day, like investing in the good or bad times only those who approach the game prudently, calmly and without basing their decision on the extremist views will profit. Those that that don’t and jump on each news article or broadcast will fail.

Its simple, investing always carries risk – deal with it.

the good, bad and ugly at Bargara

The market today in Bargara is not that bad. Sales volumes are down for sure but the last sale I was involved with was a house I sold a year or so ago for about 2% more this time. Sold in about 6 weeks. Seller is looking to buy a PPOR in their home town.

I am biased as a RE agent and an investor and I recognize that some of the properties we own hereabouts might not fetch what they would have in the recent past. But at the moment it would be in the order of 5% for a pretty standard house (say 360k down to 340-ish). Properties with better attributes (zoning/land size/position) such as the example above should fare better. Some people who bought well last year should be able to sell for a profit:eek:

The weather today is beautiful with an expected top of 27 deg, and a good south east zephyr:cool:

The golf course this morning was ugly- cored greens and the boss beat me:mad:

Hi all

With all i have been reading i still think people are guessing what will happen next. If you have large exposure its a 50/50 bet:

-If we avoid the tsunami and your sold out you feel like fool
-If we get caught up in the whole global fiasco and you held you feel like a fool.

Cheers
BC

Last edited:
for a moment i thought this was going to be another "look at the micro economics of it all", giving me 4 different scenarios and the thread de-evolve into quotes and arguments of the fundamentals of each argument, making this a truly boring thread.

but alas, it looks like i'll have to enjoy the fact that there are people out there with their head screwed on, who can see past the end of their noses and understand the differences between the US and Australia.

*sigh* - kudos.

I honestly dont have anything to say in reply to this thread other than - kudos to you tcocaro.

Nice, well balanced and sensible post.
It's good to be brought back down to earth where we evaluate things rationally.

Thank you :)

Point me in the direction of any property that has dropped 40% overnight and I will buy it! The trouble is that these will be snapped up quickly!

I agree that a 10% fall is possible in some segments....but not all markets fall together.:D

Sash

tcocaro

It's good to see a sensible discussion when many seem to have their fingers hovering over the button that reads PANIC. Kudos following!

Cheers
LynnH

I Rarely get involved in any of these discussions, but I just have to comment on this, I generally keep out of what all the others are doing or saying, and certainly do not get any of my useable information from the general media and reports from one off self opinionated associate professors'. I do my own research into the areas that I and those that listen to my advice will Invest in, and I am pleased to report with reasonable success.

If Tcocaro was writing the advice columns in the media, and had some control over the ridiculous stories they write, and the masses read and beleive, then maybe I would go back to buying the paper.

A great article written by an obviously well informed investor, Congratulations for trying to get some sense back to all the Investors who read these threads.

thanks for the posts of support, my hope is you still disagree with parts, I am all for healthy debate it only goes a bit pear shaped when people think you "win" a debate. This mentality simply leads to a shouting match which must surely be boring for those reading on.

Also apologies for the length of the post and I know it was a bit drab but thats whats needed today a sobering but calm assessment of the economy.

Unfortunately I do believe there are people looking into this so called crisis unfold and thinking its a Hollywood movie, almost willing it to roll on hoping it gets bigger and more graphic rather than better. The consequence is that everyone gets an urge to run for the door.... at the same time.

Counter intuitively my only regret is that I don't have more money to strategically* pickup some assets from those who in my view are prepared to sell way to cheaply.

*note: for those nit pickers I have used to work strategically to clearly show that i don't think just because assets are down from their previous highs they automatically mean a good buy.

I wasn't going to post but i will post once to this thread. It looks like you intended to create a thread where everyone agrees with each other and its slaps on the back all round.

In my opinion that's not what a forum is for. No one benefits without vigorous discussion on any topic. Even if you don't agree (or like) with whats being said.

I like being challenged and challenging others. I become a better investor and a better business person and i hope others do as well. That's the value proposition of a forum.

As always time will tell and no one has a crystal ball. For my money, if S Keen is only half right, its still batten down the hatches for a lot of people and big trouble for some.

Personally, i think we are in a for a big fall in property prices over the next couple of years. Maybe not 40% but big. Maybe 40%, who knows.

I'm prepared, cashed up with no debt. And i ain't buying a thing for a quite a while yet.

Glad to see between you and the aptly named Mass Carnage reduced my post of 5 pages to this drivel you call a post.

Your preconception is hard to break, and stating that I somehow thought that starting a new thread would prevent the likes of you from posting is also laughable given you so eagerly prop up everyone with nothing useful to add.

You hold no opinion of your own, you only support the opinion of others namely Keen. Its tiresome, and ineffectual and by no means a "challenge". Also, if you think i only post for the reason for fellow bloggers who i most likely will never meet to "slap me on the back" then all i can say is please... grow up.

I wish you had the ability to respond with your "own" view but your incapable you simply reiterate primary school quality taunts like "As always time will tell"

And you talk about "vigorous discussion". Re-read your post and tell me honestly is that your definition of "vigorous discussion"?

Have a nice day.

I wasn't going to post but i will post once to this thread. It looks like you intended to create a thread where everyone agrees with each other and its slaps on the back all round.

In my opinion that's not what a forum is for. No one benefits without vigorous discussion on any topic. Even if you don't agree (or like) with whats being said.

I like being challenged and challenging others. I become a better investor and a better business person and i hope others do as well. That's the value proposition of a forum.

As always time will tell and no one has a crystal ball. For my money, if S Keen is only half right, its still batten down the hatches for a lot of people and big trouble for some.

Personally, i think we are in a for a big fall in property prices over the next couple of years. Maybe not 40% but big. Maybe 40%, who knows.

I'm prepared, cashed up with no debt. And i ain't buying a thing for a quite a while yet.

Toco, only a couple here have "screamed" about 40% drops. I certainly haven't. I have no idea about Keen, I haven't read his work or the threads.

But values don't have to fall like that for highly geared (by definition, very -ve cash flow) investors to be wiped out. I see nominal values flatlining for five years as a best case scenario.

If you are making up $500/wk to balance the books, how long will your resolve last?

I agree with Evan's sentiments so, like him, I will refuse the invitation to join the love-in. :)

I just can't understand how you could interpret it in that way.

To me it sounds like he is simply after a thread without nonconstructive rubbish, as the first response to his post was (BTW someone was just awarded an ignore badge today!). I mean, honestly, what is the purpose of that post Max? I want to hear your (and everyones) views but when you write stuff like people just switch off.

Tcocaro,

Mate, why do you always stoop to personal insults? Again, that's not what this forum is about. And if you don't value my input, that's fine but please don't get personal.

Others might like my posts and i've had enough pm's to believe that.

Why cant you accept anyone else's viewpoints? S Keens or anyone on this forum that doesn't agree with you. That's the bit i don't get.

And if anyone was turning previous S Keen posts into emotional screaming matches, it was you. And you're doing it again here.

Hi everyone,

my thread which lead to the last debate ? wasnt really intended to say whether one theory is right or wrong as such. I believe there are merits on both sides of the argument and Im still researching heavily (on both sides) to establish my own opinion and the future direction of my investment strategy, as I think a true investor, invests at all times and is prepared at all times.

The thread originally posted posed a question in the title "self fulfilling".

Given that FEAR is the greatest primal instinct we have, therefore it has the greatest power to motivate people and the one thing people FEAR the most is losing MONEY. So I guess my question is, what was the true impact ??

Have there been studies or journals which look into this impact ? MC do you know of any ? because I feel the power of the economist is much greater than some of us give credit to and given that is has a certain potential impact on our lives, it would be nice to know if this can be quantified (I know the reverse can be true also).

Once again, this is NOT a claim on who is right or wrong, but merely a question of, what is the impact of the statement itself.

Tcocaro,

Mate, why do you always stoop to personal insults? Again, that's not what this forum is about. And if you don't value my input, that's fine but please don't get personal.

Others might like my posts and i've had enough pm's to believe that.

Why cant you accept anyone else's viewpoints? S Keens or anyone on this forum that doesn't agree with you. That's the bit i don't get.

And if anyone was turning previous S Keen posts into emotional screaming matches, it was you. And you're doing it again here.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

FFS.

i'm leaving guys.

i'll be back in a month.

i hope the word "Keen" is 4 rolls deep and buried, if not, i think i might just leave.

so f_ing sick of hearing about Steven F_cking Keen.

Does he have to come up in every subject?

Ciao for now.

Back