Strong Growth in Brisbane

It would depend on the location,we invest from Rocklea to West End several R-E agents have told me Dutton Park went up 50% in the past year, Rocklea is still holding in the mid 300k the others i'm unsure of the value,as the few agents that i talk too have not sold anything in six weeks,and the value is on the slide in some area's we invest in but no big problem,one item i have noticed is several development blocks that were bought late last year i went to the auctions on the day so i have a rough
idea of the sale price are now back on the market at 20% les than they paided less then one year ago,but then again in Brisbane it was a different market this time last year,pity those investors who fought each other
on the day when it ends up like that,that's all i know..imho..willair..

I have properties spread around Brisbane's southern & bayside areas.....All have experienced good capital & yield growths over the last 12 months.

Last edited:
Lots moving inner northside are (clayfield, wooloowin,ascot)

Cheers

Shane

A friend settled this week on a Clayfield house, list price $770, on the market 4 months, settle $690 (10.4% decline)...though they sold their Mitchelton house in 3 weeks for ~5% less than list.

Am helping a friend sell a house in Gordon Park...4 REAs say slow and soft, and 10-20% off January's prices......OFIs we've been to confirm that.

Land in middle ring burbs I have followed is still on the market 5 months later at January prices.

just checked one of my tracking burbs. this time last year there were no houses listed under 300k. Three months ago there were 20 odd. Tonight there are 44.

Last edited:
Hi WW

I might even know that house! Just down the road from me. There has been flat spot for two to three months or so where not much moved but in the last month a lot of stock has sold. One that has been on the market over a year just sold. Whether this is vendors being more realistic or not is up for debate. But stock is definitely moving in this area.

Cheers

Shane

Winston,

This confirms what I am seeing and hearing in Brissie.

Winston, are you able to elaborate in the suburbs which buys are under 300k in Northern suburbs...or is that a trade secret? :p

I am hearing that there are more price softening to come...this time it will also affect the well to do and middle suburbs.

What are your views on the places like Deception Bay and surrounds?

Cheers
Sash

A friend settled this week on a Clayfield house, list price $770, on the market 4 months, settle $690 (10.4% decline)...though they sold their Mitchelton house in 3 weeks for ~5% less than list.

Am helping a friend sell a house in Gordon Park...4 REAs say slow and soft, and 10-20% off January's prices......OFIs we've been to confirm that.

Land in middle ring burbs I have followed is still on the market 5 months later at January prices.

just checked one of my tracking burbs. this time last year there were no houses listed under 300k. Three months ago there were 20 odd. Tonight there are 44.

Winston,

Winston, are you able to elaborate in the suburbs which buys are under 300k in Northern suburbs...or is that a trade secret? :p

hehehe.......unless you understood my rationale for choosing the area, you wouldn't respect my choice of burb. So tell you what. I am prepared to give for free my rationale, which is a more valuable thing. I chose this particular area because it is highly sensitive to credit contraction, and therefore a better leading indicator. But then you have to weigh that rationale against my bigger picture view. which is that Australia and the world are at the beginning of a Minsky Moment (Mark_B can explain it).
:)

I am hearing that there are more price softening to come...this time it will also affect the well to do and middle suburbs.

What are your views on the places like Deception Bay and surrounds?

view about what? quality of tenant? their capacity to absorb rent increases above the rate of oil, food, and finance inflation? ;)

Cheers
Sash

A Minsky moment is the point in a credit cycle or business cycle when investors have cash flow problems due to spiraling debt they have incurred in order to finance speculative investments. At this point, a major selloff begins due to the fact that no counterparty can be found to bid at the high asking prices previously quoted, leading to a sudden and precipitous collapse in market clearing asset prices and a sharp drop in market liquidity.

The term was coined by Paul McCulley of PIMCO in 1998, to describe the Russian financial crisis,[1] and was named after economist Hyman Minsky. The Minsky moment comes after a long period of prosperity and increasing values of investments, which has encouraged increasing amounts of speculation using borrowed money.

The concept has some parallels with Austrian Business Cycle Theory, although Hyman Minsky himself was known as a "radical" Keynesian.

From Wikipedia.

Moral of the story. Dont ever put yourself in a position where you are reliant on capitalising interest.

one of the areas i'm tracking didn't have any houses under 400k 6 months ago, now there is a 3 bdrm house for 320k, recently dropped from 365 or so

i'm not sure that it's a big fall
i'd say that the price drop is due to more people on lower incomes with lower quality properties selling.

Hmm I watch Acacia Ridge as a leading (bleeding) indicator.

It hasnt moved much (if at all). Six months ago you could find a few house for 300k. Now you can find a few houses for 300k. Its not breaking under the 300k barrier. Even Inala isnt much below the 300k barrier. And Forest Lake only has a couple below the magic barrier.

Back