Somersoft Spreadsheet Collection

Here's an update to the budget planner.

And an analysis I did recently on the ownership costs of a car.
When there are asset bubbles boiling away, it would seem sensible to channel as much of one's income into acquiring appreciating assets, whether property or shares. This analysis shows the gigantic difference time and compounding make, when foregoing a car for public transport.

Attachments

• Budget Planner 1.1.xls
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,170
  • car loan.zip
    42.4 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
I have created a excel spreadsheet to calculate how much I will be paying from my pocket if I buy a property.
Not sure if it is of any help to others. but will appreciate if someone can tell me if my calculations are correct.

Attachments

• IP from my pocket.xls
    38 KB · Views: 1,535
Here's a comparison of turning one's PPR into an IP.
It includes comparing a P&I with a IO loan.

If you install the excel solver addin, you can mess with various variables.
As it is, I used solver to calculate how much rent one would pay elsewhere to breakeven after disposal of the house 15 years on.

Note that the comparison between P&I and IO loans uses as a base for the comparison, retaining the house as a PPR on an IO loan.

Attachments

• PPR into IP.xls
    99 KB · Views: 921
This analysis shows the gigantic difference time and compounding make, when foregoing a car for public transport.

That's what I do! Haven't done the analysis, cause I have no idea how much it costs to run a car. The closest I get to that is looking at the price of petrol when I walk past a station and think 'geez, petrol seems to be pretty expensive'.

It's easy for me though, cause there's only me, no wife/gf or kids.

Mark

Here's an update of the above spreadsheet analysing the conversion of a PPR to an IP.

Have added graphs and uncluttered the data entry area.
Once again, this analysis is best applied using Solver Addin, which is free and on most distributions of MS Office Pro.

I'd just update the original file but the forum doesn't allow it.

Attachments

• PPRtoIP.zip
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,198
Last edited:
That's what I do! Haven't done the analysis, cause I have no idea how much it costs to run a car. The closest I get to that is looking at the price of petrol when I walk past a station and think 'geez, petrol seems to be pretty expensive'.

It's easy for me though, cause there's only me, no wife/gf or kids.

Mark

Mark, I spreadsheeted the benefits of a working partner (no kids) sometime ago..... a very good investment......especially if they are investment savvy rather then suffering from shoephilia... :)

You should get one........

I am meeting a growing number of smart highly paid people (many of them female professionals) in Bris who don't own a car. It's bicycles, citycat, trains, and buses.

Mark, I spreadsheeted the benefits of a working partner (no kids) sometime ago..... a very good investment......especially if they are investment savvy rather then suffering from shoephilia... :)

You should get one........

Pass!

Really like that budget planner spreadsheet, it's great. I don't even wanna think about how many hours went into making that Winston. Top job.

Mark

Rent Vs Buy

Will review the budget planner spreadsheet. have spotted a couple of small bugs.....though nothing serious.

Here's an evolved spreadsheet that looks at the ubiquitous question many potential first home buyers ask:

Should I rent or buy?

I have checked it quite thoroughly, but wiill post updates if I find anything drastically wrong. and am still evolving which scenarios are better compared.

It allows 'what if' adjustment of several variables to emulate future macroeconomic climate.

Attachments

• rentvsbuy.zip
    36.8 KB · Views: 991
How much has my property grown in value?

Here's a spreadsheet that determines nominal and real growth rates of Australian property, based on cpi figures back to 1950.

Mark_B put it on the forum somewhere a while back. Kudos to him as it is an excellent resource which I use frequently.

Attachments

• Growth 1950.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,701
an update for FHBs

This is an update for the FHB rent vs buy simulator.

New features include slider controls for the growth function of property and equity growth.

This gives a more intuitive feel for comparing property and equities growth.

I've also revised the formulae and assumptions more rigorously, removing inconsistencies and trying to emulate real world choices.

Attachments

• rentvsbuy sliders.zip
    45.5 KB · Views: 864
Last edited:
Message for Howdy doody - re IP Holding costs v14 final

Hi Howdy Doody,

Thanks for updating the above spreadsheet for 07/08 rates.

When I try to change a value in the output spreadsheet it does not automatically flow through the other cells in the worksheet or workbook. Could you please advise how to set it so the spreadsheet updates itself to reflect the new data inputs.

Thanks

TAG

These are updates for some of the spreadsheet resources I have put up before. They are too big to meet Somersoft's criteria for spreadsheets, and storing them offsite will allow me to update them without having to post multiple copies to this thread.

IP1.xls
IP purchase analysis with Graphical representation of IRR.
The stamp duty tables require updating, but you can always manually enter the figures.

Rent vs Buy
for First Home Buyer

Budget Planner
now allows for couples who want to split investment income and expenditure for tax purposes.

Here's a townhouse development feasibility spreadsheet that I put together to see if it is profitable to bulldoze a house and add a couple of townhouses.

It should include GST if you are developing as a company.

Cheers,

Bazza

Attachments

• Townhouse Feasibility Study What-if.xls
    52 KB · Views: 2,747
Bazza, anyone who did that duplex project would be up for gst.
Read this

Thanks WinstonWolfe - an interesting read.

"If you build a spec home its sale is part of your normal business turnover so it will cause you to be registered for GST."

"Even holding domestic rental properties is considered an enterprise and qualifies for an ABN but normally landlords don’t bother as they are not required to charge GST on rent on residential properties. So even if their turnover is more than $50,000 it is not for supplies to which GST applies to so they are not required to be registered. The eventual sale of the rental property will generate more than $50,000 but this is not included as part of the $50,000 normal turnover unless you are in the business of selling rental properties."

So now I'm confused :confused:

My intention is to build and hold anyway. The estimated development sale price is for valuation purposes only. Get an 80% LOC on equity and off again. If you don't sell then CGT or GST would not apply (I think)? (FYI the GST threshold is now $75K)

Cheers,

Bazza

OK, didn't realise you wanted to hold....5 years should see you free to sell without attracting GST....but I believe builders who have held for 6 have still got caught........best to clear it with an acct who does a lot of dev't.....I have spoken to three who just don't get this stuff..

very useful

thanks all the guys' hard-working. i find the spreadsheets you offer are very useful especially for the new starter like me . it helps to save lots of work and make me keep a fresh mind when buying an ip.

Back