Rising sea levels or sinking land masses?

can some please tell me how these patches of seas rise independently of the surrounding water, and then adjacent to that we have the "sea level" sinking?

i mean really - it's pretty obvious the sea floor is sinking and rising in these parts - how else do you describe land being swallowed by the sea?
Sometimes this is the case (e.g. West coast America is rising faster than the sea) but there are many other effects, the spinning earth, coriolis effects, currents, salinity, elastic rebound from former ice sheets, temperatures. The rising global sea levels are distributed differently.

This guy explains it well: http://e360.yale.edu/feature/the_secret_of_sea_level_rise_it_will_vary_greatly_by_region/2255/

The mention of Tuvalu reminds me of the Maldives.

The guy from the UN ocean studies did a survey there and proved that the sea level wasn't rising so the President of the Maldives tossed him out of the country :D

Seems he didn't like his supply of free money being threatened by facts.

Attachments

• Sea levels NilsAxelMornerinterview.pdf
    993.3 KB · Views: 39
Considering this was the IPCC’s best guess of past temperatures before the discredited hockey stick affair. It’s hard to believe that AGW can be measured when the natural variability is unknown.
ipcc-1990-figure-7-1-bottom-panel.png

Sometimes this is the case (e.g. West coast America is rising faster than the sea) but there are many other effects, the spinning earth, coriolis effects, currents, salinity, elastic rebound from former ice sheets, temperatures. The rising global sea levels are distributed differently.

Therein lies the perfect source of negligent facts and figures that pollies can play with to haunt the sheeple into paying more tax. Employing the scientists who hover over these statistics and finding out the ones that "suit" their agenda.

Im sorry but unless every single scientist agrees that rising sea levels are happening then it's not conclusive !

Too many variables as you have stated so who on earth can put all this together conclusively to argue the case?

who on earth can put all this together conclusively to argue the case?

As is the case with everything nowadays, no-one is allowed an opinion except the lawyers, because they are the only ones privy to all of the documents.

The lawyers then submit them all to their superiors, the former lawyers, known as judges.

Anyone else who tries to but in is in contempt of court.

The other independent arm - the Parliament - is, you guessed it, chock full of lawyers on the Liberal side and union lawyers on the Labor side.

Argue you the case - you betcha - 'til both sides are blue in the face....and get absolutely nowhere.....admit nothing, even when settling arguments, officially admit no liability.

....and so the wheel turns....

Can someone please explain the massive variation down in the roaring 40's. There are patches of blue and green (-3mm to 0mm) interspersed within red patches (+9mm to +12mm)....like some patchwork quilt.

I imagine with the enormous waves generated down there, where its not uncommon to have 8 or 10m swells rolling through for days on end, the poor chap charged with measuring the change in mm must be forgiven.

They were probably over the edge turning green themselves and hurling up everywhere.

Maybe they are on some 5 week on, week off rotation. All the green and blue patches were one guy, and the red patches were when his radical enviro nerd back to back came on board to relieve him.

I'd like to know the ± error margin on all these measurements, they never seem to quote them.

Is it something like a 2mm variance, with a ± 20mm error margin ??

I love this map too. The Caspian Sea, the southern coast of South America and the coast of Alaska are all black, so dark they are off the scale. O that's right, they are in earthquake zones.

I love this map too. The Caspian Sea, the southern coast of South America and the coast of Alaska are all black, so dark they are off the scale. O that's right, they are in earthquake zones.
no.. Caspian Sea is landlocked :eek: .... other areas used to be covered in ice & the land is slowly rising again after being crushed for so long

no.. Caspian Sea is landlocked :eek: .... other areas used to be covered in ice & the land is slowly rising again after being crushed for so long

I dont see that it matters whether it is landlocked or not. It is still a bloody huge area of water and it is at the intersection of two major fault lines, one running north-south and the other running east-west. They have tremours there all the time.

It is incrediibly dark blue on the map. If it doesnt count as sea-levels, why would they mark it on their map?

(Sorrry if I have misunderstood your meaning, Weg)

can some please tell me how these patches of seas rise independently of the surrounding water, and then adjacent to that we have the "sea level" sinking?
I'm no expert and I don't believe in dangerous sea level rises, but Earth isn't static, nor is it's orbit uniform.

I am willing to accept that there are decadal oscillations without really knowing why. But if we ARE talking about long wave cycles, then Tuvalu may be due for a period of receding seas.

other areas used to be covered in ice & the land is slowly rising again after being crushed for so long
This is correct. The heavy ice cover in the north has been reducing since the little ice age and this allows the thin solid crust to rise a little.

Our rock is flexible, not concrete.

I dont see that it matters whether it is landlocked or not. It is still a bloody huge area of water and it is at the intersection of two major fault lines, one running north-south and the other running east-west. They have tremours there all the time.

It is incrediibly dark blue on the map. If it doesnt count as sea-levels, why would they mark it on their map?

(Sorrry if I have misunderstood your meaning, Weg)

The Caspian sea is something like 26 metres below mean sea level. It relies on rivers to keep it full and overcome evaporation, so the level would vary a lot seasonally anyway depending on rain, wind and temperature. I'd imagine it's level will have been directly affected by man made changes relating to water diversion and damming of the feed rivers for agriculture.

Back