Perth property listings - under 9,000

2 storey living is terrible, you sure notice it when moving from one to the other. I've got one place that when it comes time to redevelop it needs to be 2 storey but I will just stuff the upstairs with the secondary rooms so there is no need to go up there, and put a door on the stairs so there is an ability to control the temperature

Fair enough but I think your view is coloured by your experience - you prefer what you are used to. I prefer two storey living because this is what I grew up with. Ultimately it is about utility, and if I can get the same size house and still get meaningful outdoor space for a reasonable increase in price I will do it. In our suburb (Yokine) I don't think I have seen a new single storey house going in with the exception of a small number of villas. Most are narrow lot two storeys.

The premium for two storey building is reducing and I expect it will continue to reduce as builders skill up.

Fair enough but I think your view is coloured by your experience - you prefer what you are used to. I prefer two storey living because this is what I grew up with. Ultimately it is about utility, and if I can get the same size house and still get meaningful outdoor space for a reasonable increase in price I will do it. In our suburb (Yokine) I don't think I have seen a new single storey house going in with the exception of a small number of villas. Most are narrow lot two storeys.

The premium for two storey building is reducing and I expect it will continue to reduce as builders skill up.

spent most of my life in 2 storey, currently in single. it was great going to single

not sure that's quite the right interpretation - the masses live in compact townhouses, because that's all they can afford. if you make the big league you can move out to the country and afford a bungalow

Actually bungalows are usually considered suitable for the 'infirm', or 'Pikies'( a caravan with the wheels knocked off)

Manors, Mansions and proper homes always have an 'upstairs' and a 'downstairs',
and often garretts or attic rooms for the domestic staff (au pair).

http://www.boleconstruction.co.uk/Portfolio/7/Castellaine.htm

This would be top end

I love both 2 storey and single storey.

For bang for buck we'll be going single storey on the new PPOR simply because on 10 acres it's not going to impact on outdoor amenity and it's cheaper. We are going to have an attic though to house the servants, children and slave labour :)

Totally subjective based on area and feasibility.

Built my parents dream home on the remaining part of their block in Doubleview. For investment, a 2 storey townhouse would have been best.

The rear of their block was a 2 storey, 4x2. They spent most of their weekends cleaning and were the only ones living there.

Now they have an ultra high-spec single storey with street frontage, and are very comfortable. Slab to turn key in 16 weeks. Also, the place had mass interest as at the time was one of the few single storeys.

There will be demand for single storey living in the future with an aging population IMO. They could be onto a winner when they move to a smaller place again down the track and people want a high spec, low maintenance street-front single storey home.

I love both 2 storey and single storey.

For bang for buck we'll be going single storey on the new PPOR simply because on 10 acres it's not going to impact on outdoor amenity and it's cheaper. We are going to have an attic though to house the servants, children and slave labour :)

10 acres? jealous jealous jealous : ) I'm sure your house will be beautiful. If I had no space constraint I would not have a strong prejudice towards two storey ...would probably make the final call based on site (views etc) and budget!

Perth moved about two decades after the east coast from pitching rooves to knocking up frames.

I expect the next move will be for two storey homes at least to go from double brick to brick veneer. The marketing on brick here must have been fantastic given real estate agents appear compelled to tell prospective buyers a house is brick veneer as though it is up there with a triple homicide having occurred.

In Sydney it was pretty flash to build double brick at least in the 20years I was there up till about a decade ago. Double brick was unusual in new builds, usually only builds pre 70s were double brick.

While ground conditions in Perth (sand) do suit double brick they certainly do not preclude brick veneer, in fact any site that suits double brick will suit just about every other construction type.

Once they go brick veneer here double storey will go similar dollars per square to single. Remember there are areas the builder saves per square metre on double storey.

Edit: I do like my double brick with a pitched frame roof home though. ;)

I expect the next move will be for two storey homes at least to go from double brick to brick veneer.

There are some very good composite panels coming onto the market which would be ideal for upper floor walling: strong, light, well insulated, and much faster to build with.

enough about double storey talk, total listings are down again this week, to 10544 according to my source. total listings available for rent has gone up though - developments from 2 years ago finally finishing up but being left empty?

enough about double storey talk, total listings are down again this week, to 10544 according to my source. total listings available for rent has gone up though - developments from 2 years ago finally finishing up but being left empty?

Good man - get away from this stair case talk :p

Who's still looking around to buy in Perth? Anyone on the forum? Obviously no need to share their target areas.

I am...its doing my head in...nothing suitable at the moment..or unrealistic vendors.

Happy to share areas: Looking for house and land in a "to be rezoned areas" North of the river

also looking for townhouse/unit in mount lawley and south perth

Good man - get away from this stair case talk :p

Who's still looking around to buy in Perth? Anyone on the forum? Obviously no need to share their target areas.

I've finished buying for awhile - I think I have enough projects to keep me out of mischief. I did help someone buy from the forums this week and hopefully another next week.

That's news to me.

Sorry I know we have moved on though I have to point out a double storey house can have as much as half as much roof per square metre of floor than a single storey.

I'm not saying this compensates for all the costs but the premium in Perth is in a different ballpark to Sydney or Brisbane.

Back