Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

What can I say, good for you, I like your die hard attitude.... you are as cool as a cucumber, onwards and upwards, waiting for the next chapter in this fiasco, do I need a bag of popcorn or what.... :p

On one hand I can't keep doing this forever and need to go to back up plan #1 (total compliance with no discretion policy for 3rd floor) or back up plan #2 of putting two townhouses on the block.

On the other hand we are so close and I feel I almost have to fight otherwise Council will just continue to railroad people to give up on their applications by constantly refusing.

I need WA Premier Colin Barnett on my side:

PREMIER Colin Barnett has called on the building industry to become more ?innovative? to better meet the needs of WA?s young people.

During PerthNow?s third Coffee with Colin today, Mr Barnett said alternative designs would help young people break into the housing market.

?For young people, maybe couples before they have children or even with young children, if they wish to live close to the city, say within even 15km or so, there is limited choice now available and the prices obviously are high,? he said.

?And not everyone wants to live in the traditional Australian block of land in the outer suburbs.

?I would like to see the building industry be more innovative.

?I happen to personally think terrace type developments are very attractive, where you have got perhaps a two-storey terrace with a small backyard.

Colin - I have innovative housing - can you give me innovative Council?!?!?!?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...926417e6b9a61d76774a9dc&&net_sub_uid=91870796

For those of you playing along at home.

We did more mediation 2 weeks ago and agreed on more design changes with some 'give' also given by Council.

They will be getting our proposal based on those discussions today via email with mediation set for 29th May to talk about them.

Then we go to reconsideration again and if it's refused again (for 3rd time) I can go to full hearing or just back down.

Financially it will have to be a back down. I can't afford a full hearing with laywers etc.

Fingers crossed it gets up under reconsideration this time! If not, full hearing doesn't have to involve lawyers etc. A planner can facilitate the whole thing and prepare witness statements, bundles of evidence documents etc. And if it came to that it would mean that you've been to Council 3 times, each time with an officer (aka planning expert) recommendation for approval, and each time knocked back by Council (aka non-expert), which would make your case fairly strong at a Hearing (that's being heard by another planning expert). Allerding would definitely have their work cut out for them!

Fingers crossed it gets up under reconsideration this time! If not, full hearing doesn't have to involve lawyers etc. A planner can facilitate the whole thing and prepare witness statements, bundles of evidence documents etc. And if it came to that it would mean that you've been to Council 3 times, each time with an officer (aka planning expert) recommendation for approval, and each time knocked back by Council (aka non-expert), which would make your case fairly strong at a Hearing (that's being heard by another planning expert). Allerding would definitely have their work cut out for them!

I could always represent myself as well. So it's not totally off the table.

I had a 'see red' moment at last mediation when it was requested that I don't take up too much of the Respondant's town planners time as it was costing them money.

I have a solution for that; they listen to their town planner and agree then I won't need to take up his time

This project has now been renamed Housing for Hipsters aka Paris meets Highgate aka Westminster's Folly.

For a little while last week it was known as A Turtle in Paris but we've managed to get past that I think.

The mansard roof is somewhat Parisienne and some of the things we've been asked to look at b council created an unattractive turtle shell house.

Today I think we are moving in the right direction. There was a design epiphany idea in the team which has snowballed into some massive creative thought. Now Aaron just needs to harness his Hipster and have it ready for mediation on thurs.

Go team Westminster !!

etc_opener2713__01__630x420.jpg

Drinking from my peanut butter and jam jars might be fiscal prudency due to this project taking it's sweet time to get off the ground

cnzr5a.jpg

Come here my little hipsters :)

g1327142212437057443.jpg

Mediation last week wasn't the end of it :)

Good news is that we seem to all agree that the rear setbacks no longer impact on our vocal neighbours.

Now we just have to prove how much we have done to reduce the 'bulk and scale' of the 3rd level. It's been reduced by 15% since they last refused it so that is VERY significant when you are talking about an apartment which was 106sqm and is now 89sqm.

We meet again today at midday.

A pretty positive mediation session today.

It will go up for reconsideration either on 10th June or 24th June at Council Meeting. Normally we wouldn't be able to do it until the 9th July as we have missed all the deadlines for submissions but the Mayor has pulled strings for it to happen.

The winning plan

Third storey converted to loft and made smaller but ground floor made bigger it is now a 3 x 2 on the ground instead of 2 x 2 that it was.

qwxfyq.jpg

10ynvqf.jpg

ehzsr8.jpg

2lvit88.jpg

Back