Green in the Perth market

Thanks HD_ACE.
Invoice came through: $20K total for asbestos removal, demo, dividing fence (with asbestos) removal and shade cloth for the temporary fencing (hired for 3 months).
Neighbors complained about loss of privacy with the temporary fencing so I had to put covers all around.

Thanks HD_ACE.
Invoice came through: $20K total for asbestos removal, demo, dividing fence (with asbestos) removal and shade cloth for the temporary fencing (hired for 3 months).
Neighbors complained about loss of privacy with the temporary fencing so I had to put covers all around.

Interesting. On one of my builds I kept the crap fence until the end then ripped it down and put in new so that the brickies could slap mortar and render around.

As a neighbour I'd be wanting the covers too. When will the new fence go in?

Well that's a tricky one because demo contractor offered a good rate for removal and temp fencing since they got all their people and machines already on site so might as well take advantage of this and do it now instead of waiting just before the build.
Amazingly enough the 3rd reluctant neighbor changed his mind when he saw the 2 others sides being temp fenced with cloth and agreed to sign to get his pulled down too.
Other quote I had which I could have used if I wanted to wait was $3920 for removal only (with asbestos), the one I used was $3630 including temp fence however not including the cloth which was $590, which I didn't foresee but I reckon neighbors are in their right to ask it.
So all in all I lost $300 by choosing to pull them down straight away instead of waiting, provided that no temp fencing would have been necessary in the case I waited but not sure about that either.
As for the new one I suppose I will wait for the build since I'm building on the lot boundary.

Attachments

• IMG_2682[1].JPG
    IMG_2682[1].JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 81
Engineer's drawings & working drawings underway, got my DA fairly quickly.

Should I hire a building inspector to help me out with sourcing/quoting for a builder & independently check on construction progress down the track (I won't be in town for a while)?
I have a couple of builders in mind who have quoted me however I am unsure if I'm best to assess since I'm not familiar with that process.

This is also a good time to rethink the project before the big mortgage kicks in:
- do I still want to do it?
- Will I be able to stand that level of debt?
- Is selling off now and invest in commercial property more beneficial?
- Is Balga showing good signs for the future?

Please let me know your thoughts.
J

To source and quote from builders you could use a building broker. But you could shop yourself since you have the plans etc.

Engineer's drawings & working drawings underway, got my DA fairly quickly.

Should I hire a building inspector to help me out with sourcing/quoting for a builder & independently check on construction progress down the track (I won't be in town for a while)?
I have a couple of builders in mind who have quoted me however I am unsure if I'm best to assess since I'm not familiar with that process.

This is also a good time to rethink the project before the big mortgage kicks in:
- do I still want to do it?
- Will I be able to stand that level of debt?
- Is selling off now and invest in commercial property more beneficial?
- Is Balga showing good signs for the future?

Please let me know your thoughts.
J

I have been screaming oversupply for a while just my opinion.

If I am right can you hold??? Is it positive cash flow after all outgoings??

How long is it taking for villas to sell??
Are villas dropping in price??

If you have to hold, change your strategy in terms of spec of each villa, keep it lean and mean

MTR:)

Yes MTR I'm working away & a lot which doesn't help.
I certainly need an independent third party to check progress on build and possibly one who could help out in assessing quotes before build too.
I was told to utilize contractors for duct Aircon & landscaping to decrease costs and I don't have much time for that either.

As for your previous post, yes strategy is to hold as much as I can.

Another suggestion that may be cost effective?

Speak to your draftee, ask him for a list of builders, he also develops he should know many.

Just contact a couple of the spec builders yourself and get them to provide a quote.

When I was building in the south west area and could not view my builds, I just paid $300 for a builder to provide me with a final inspection list to pick up any issues. Not expensive, just make sure you get the right company doing this.

Not sure how much a building broker will cost you, but of course there will be a % of the build, they will tell you that the builder wears this, don't believe this for one minute, its built into the cost and you will be wearing it.

MTR:)

Hi guys
How do you tender when the site works costs are not fixed? I got 3 quotes for my build (quoted on DA but site unseen)and based the decision on the quality (level of finishes )vs total cost. When the contract was drawn the site costs jumped up 15k (sand site ) and i was screwed. Soak wells increased by 2k, power run increased by 2.5k and site clearance increased by 10k.

Or did all your potential builders actually go to the site and give a realistic estimate of site costs?

Hi guys
How do you tender when the site works costs are not fixed? I got 3 quotes for my build (quoted on DA but site unseen)and based the decision on the quality (level of finishes )vs total cost. When the contract was drawn the site costs jumped up 15k (sand site ) and i was screwed. Soak wells increased by 2k, power run increased by 2.5k and site clearance increased by 10k.

Or did all your potential builders actually go to the site and give a realistic estimate of site costs?

Most of them do siteworks estimates from the contour feature survey plus sometimes a soil test.

Siteworks are never fixed though they are a provisional sum and one of the scariest ones.

Hi guys

Yes, generally provisional sum for site works, what I found very interesting though with my Spearwood project was that the larger spec builders allowed way too much for the site works and this took the total builds well over the smaller builder quotes/prices.

My builder basically provided me with a contract and it stuck, no provisional sum here, I knew I was on a winner because as mentioned they like to cover their **** and allow much more for this.

Hope this makes sense.

Here we go, working drawings done (attached)!
If anybody picks ups anything (focus on cost saving items haha) which I overlooked before getting the big mortgage please feel free to share :)

Attachments

• Working Drawing clean.pdf
    726.2 KB · Views: 120
If anybody picks ups anything (focus on cost saving items haha) which I overlooked before getting the big mortgage please feel free to share :)

I love it - they look very nice. All my usual things I look for are there.

How are the sums going?

I like the drawings very much, great work.

Back