Green in the Perth market

Designer came back saying if I flip the design with rear courtyards to the North then all courtyards will have to be to the rear so I lose the unit A front courtyard.
:eek:
I really think front courtyard on unit A with park views is very appealing for buyers/tenants so I don't know if I should flip it or not.

No mention of minimum from boundary?

Anyway, good news, saves the change. Personally I like the floorplans and elevations.

Thanks boeman,

As for the boundary setback, designer is confident it will not get knocked back by council and HWS is fine where it sits now :)

Cheers,
J

Designer came back saying if I flip the design with rear courtyards to the North then all courtyards will have to be to the rear so I lose the unit A front courtyard.
:eek:
I really think front courtyard on unit A with park views is very appealing for buyers/tenants so I don't know if I should flip it or not.

No need to do it so complicated just mirror image and keep as is. That will give north light to back 2 units.

is it possible to flip the entire design? at the moment all your northern light is being wasted on garage doors and bedrooms. is there a reason the designer did it this way? i also dont see any eaves anywhere which is a concern.

Hi sanj,

I suppose he must be thinking that it just gets too hot during summertime for the living areas.
I raised the question with him now so we can find out.
I'm sure he loves me already (bollards, HWS, sunlight orientation) :D

that is why you need eaves. obviously i dont know who this designer is but alarm bells are certainly ringing, what else is he going to propose? a black tiled roof? it feels like the mid/late 2000s

Just to clarify a few things on eaves as this passage shows there is still a lot of confusion out there about them.

- North facing eaves do next to nothing for you. In summer, the sun travels overhead and rises and sets south of east and west, so you are not doing anything for summer heat gain, other than minimising reflected heat from the ground, which is better done with other measures, such as e glass or the best method of all, a grape vine or other deciduous plant on the north side, which absorbs the heat of the sun and adds evaporative cooling, as well as letting the winter sun through. Not that I would trust a tenant with a grape vine but it's still worth knowing!
- In winter, north facing eaves just reduce solar heat gain, which is a bad thing.
- West and east facing eaves are obviously a good idea but are almost guaranteed to be inadequate and tokenistic, given the heat of the afternoon sun in summer and the fact that nobody builds them big enough to do anything. Of much more importance is minimising the length of east and west facing walls and minimising the glazing on those walls in particular. The ideal house is a long rectangle with small east and west walls and no windows on the east and west sides, lots of windows on the north with overhead grape vines or similar deciduous plants and a few windows on the south for cross ventilation. Putting the garage on the west side protects the rest of the house from the summer afternoon sun.

But nobody builds them like that so don't feel alone. I see so many north facing garages and exposed western glazing that I rather despair for the future of humanity...

I'm sorry I can't add any value on your particular design issues though - the design compromises are really your decision and unfortunately most buyers of this type of product aren't particularly au fait with the intricacies of solar passive housing design and therefore are unlikely to value it much.

No need to do it so complicated just mirror image and keep as is. That will give north light to back 2 units.
Sorry can you elaborate I'm a bit lost there.
My understanding is that if I want to get units B&C rear courtyards to the North so I have better natural lighting in the living areas I lose unit A front courtyard with its park views for a rear one without views.
Do you suggest to flip it and give up unit A front courtyard?

Sorry can you elaborate I'm a bit lost there.
My understanding is that if I want to get units B&C rear courtyards to the North so I have better natural lighting in the living areas I lose unit A front courtyard with its park views for a rear one without views.
Do you suggest to flip it and give up unit A front courtyard?

North is on your RHS of the paper.

If you flip the paper over and leave everything as it, there will be more North light activation to the rear houses rather than the garage side.

I don't want anything changed - love Unit A how it is and bugger North for that one :)

Then check the windows on the West side and move those that you can (ie ensuites) over to East side so that they aren't hammered by afternoon sun.

Westminster,

Just trying to summarize:
You want to mirror image the design over a East West symmetry axis.
By doing that the driveway goes South side and units B & C rear courtyards will be facing North whereas unit A front courtyard will face South which my designer said isn't possible due to council requirement (front courtyard with park view has to face north).
I'm not a coffee drinker but I think I need one now :p

Westminster,

Just trying to summarize:
You want to mirror image the design over a East West symmetry axis.
By doing that the driveway goes South side and units B & C rear courtyards will be facing North whereas unit A front courtyard will face South which my designer said isn't possible due to council requirement (front courtyard with park view has to face north).
I'm not a coffee drinker but I think I need one now :p

Oh I see.
Hmm leave as is then - but do check out those west windows in rear ensuite (move into shower). The other windows on West probably have to stay for surveillance

I'm sorry I can't add any value on your particular design issues though - the design compromises are really your decision and unfortunately most buyers of this type of product aren't particularly au fait with the intricacies of solar passive housing design and therefore are unlikely to value it much.
Thanks HiEquity,
Let's hope most buyers/tenants won't read your very informative post on solar passive housing then! :rolleyes:
As for my design compromises, I'd blame Council :D

Hi,

Here is revision A.

Basically decision was made to keep concept as is as I don't want to give up on unit A front courtyard with park views.

As for amendments:
- units A&C laundries decreased, gain of 100mm in both bedrooms 2,
- bollards added to meter-box in unit A trafficable area,
- removed all kitchens dropped bulkhead, not sure how much I saved there?

Still unsure if I should put unit C ensuite West window to the North so it doesn't get the afternoon sun because it would decrease aesthetics from driveway (see attached elevation)?
Designer suggests that if I decide to move it he could dress it up a bit with a feature wall but bedroom 1 and ensuite would be 100mm smaller...

And I thought I could play with design by myself... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Concept Design REVA clean.pdf
    365.9 KB · Views: 72
  • elevation unitC .JPG
    elevation unitC .JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 66
900mm is becoming the norm very quickly, as the Blanco package is dirt cheap for builders.

Once your original costings are done and you are close to signing, tell them you want 900mm appliances for $0 to get the deal. It is a fairly common upgrade incentive to get the deal.

Update:
Demolition underway, need to remove the common fences now.
Out of 3 neighbors 1 won't sign anything so I will put down only 3 sides with temporary fencing and leave the remaining one as is till I'm ready to build.
Question is: can I force my neighbors to share the cost of removing the dividing fences?
These fences are asbestos and must have been there for ages however I doubt the neighbors would agree to share.
I had a look on the below link but still unsure.
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/sites...es/dividing_fences_act_6th_edition_online.pdf
Any thoughts?

Most likely not. If they are in disrapear and not fit for purpose then maybe. The fact you are developing further hampers that.

But if you dont ask you dont get. You maybe able to negotiate something in your favour.

Back