Detroit files for bankruptcy

I remember Steve McKnight promoting Detroit a few years back, as a wonderful place to buy high yielding residential property. I guess not....

Where's the really bad areas in Detroit?

I've just spent 10 minutes using google maps and street view to try to find some really good examples of urban decay, but I'm surprised at how neat and tidy most places look? Lots of nice trees and neat lawns. You can tell that it was once very prosperous.

See ya's.

This was an interesting chart showing the main reason for Detroit's demise:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-07-19/detroits-demise-one-chart

20130719_Detroit.jpg

let's have a chat about Perth and mining (in particular iron ore) :rolleyes:

oh not again...

I am surprised to see sydney going off - all they have is a couple of banks and some tourists. when macbank stopped being a bank I thought it was time to flick the lights out.

Tasmania is gods waiting room, adelaide with the barossa, brisbane - no one quite knows but the weather is a bit kinder on those aching joints, melbourne serves up a decent cuppa and good cakes out at st kilda. Perth only has iron ore and they'll probably bulldoze the place now the ore price has collapsed since china imploded. then it's darwin which is feeding off some of the WA gas.

Detroit's prosperity ended in the 1950's with mismanagement from local govt.. unions wanting and defending worker rights drove out the auto industry to cheaper overseas options. They didn't see it coming however US prosperity ended in 1913 with the formation of the Federal Reserve Central Bank and the IRS income tax system. "I have unwittingly ruined my country." President Woodrow Wilson said when he signed the Federal Reserve act into law.

The US is the wealthiest nation, but the wealth is concentrated in fiat paper markets, Federal govt, weapons production, military suppliers, and military bureaucracy. US schools are inferior because of poor funding and government propaganda biased curriculum.
Detroit was like ford in Australia they wouldn't build cars people wanted to buy or could afford to run. I was amazed when there in the 80s the cars were huge lumbering poor handling fuel guzzling, tanks and cheap. America is run by wealthy lobbyist who are only interested in sucking up more wealth for themselves. The agriculture and medical industry also have their nose in the trough. The millions in subsidies given to wealthy companies and individuals is obscene. How extremely wealthy farmers get millions in subsidies for not growing crops, and then get 30% GC on their land because of that, and the battlers cant afford to get in because of that, while needy cant get medical treatment, which is also another rip off by the rich is just incomprehensible. Now in that country you have the right to shoot any-body, all you have to do is say you felt threatened?? As long as you can pay the lawyer, and the victim cant.

Detroit's prosperity ended in the 1950's with mismanagement from local govt.. unions wanting and defending worker rights drove out the auto industry to cheaper overseas options. They didn't see it coming however US prosperity ended in 1913 with the formation of the Federal Reserve Central Bank and the IRS income tax system. "I have unwittingly ruined my country." President Woodrow Wilson said when he signed the Federal Reserve act into law.

The US is the wealthiest nation, but the wealth is concentrated in fiat paper markets, Federal govt, weapons production, military suppliers, and military bureaucracy. US schools are inferior because of poor funding and government propaganda biased curriculum.
Detroit was like ford in Australia they wouldn't build cars people wanted to buy or could afford to run. I was amazed when there in the 80s the cars were huge lumbering poor handling fuel guzzling, tanks and cheap. America is run by wealthy lobbyist who are only interested in sucking up more wealth for themselves. The agriculture and medical industry also have their nose in the trough. The millions in subsidies given to wealthy companies and individuals is obscene. How extremely wealthy farmers get millions in subsidies for not growing crops, and then get 30% GC on their land because of that, and the battlers cant afford to get in because of that, while needy cant get medical treatment, which is also another rip off by the rich is just incomprehensible. Now in that country you have the right to shoot any-body, all you have to do is say you felt threatened?? As long as you can pay the lawyer, and the victim cant.

You are having a major lend of the truth with many of these comments buster.

settle down mate and get some facts right.:rolleyes:

Zimmerman was aquitted in a court of law by a jury. he acted in self defence. The evidence is there for all to see. The attacker doubled around and attacked him, smashing his head into the concrete repeatedly. What do you expect him to do, lay there and take it?
It's not against the law to carry a gun and use it to protect yourself in the US.

Your 'feelings' on this case are just that, they are not fact.

Allowing the media to dictate to your "knowledge" is sloppy.

You are having a major lend of the truth with many of these comments buster.

settle down mate and get some facts right.:rolleyes:

Zimmerman was aquitted in a court of law by a jury. he acted in self defence.

What garbage, it's Zimmermans defence that stretched the truth, Zimmerman only got off because of a now exposed racist jury. The guy is unstable and had plenty of violence related charges against him (including attacking police), unlike his victim.
He proceeded to hunt down and kill and unarmed person minding their own business despite being told not to confront them by police. God knows how he got away with it, only in US America.

The poetic justice is that this "Vigilante" will forever be looking over his shoulder for other vigilantes.

Last edited:
What garbage, it's Zimmermans defence that stretched the truth, Zimmerman only got off because of a now exposed racist jury. The guy is unstable and had plenty of violence related charges against him (including attacking police), unlike his victim.

He proceeded to hunt down and kill and unarmed person minding their own business despite being told not to confront them by police. God knows how he got away with it, only in US America.

There were some interesting facts in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bF-Ax5E8EJc

IMO there is more to the story than the MSM representation that Zimmerman stalked and shot Trayvon.

BPSRgIUCEAAP5NK.jpg:large

Thank you for a very good roundup of the facts in this video.
Suggest those espousing the sentiment of the drive by media have a good look and stop with the emotional rhetoric and racist talk.

Where's the really bad areas in Detroit?

I've just spent 10 minutes using google maps and street view to try to find some really good examples of urban decay, but I'm surprised at how neat and tidy most places look? Lots of nice trees and neat lawns. You can tell that it was once very prosperous.

See ya's.

Check out some of the areas just north of the CBD. Looks like farmland with scatted rotting farmhouses. Where as some of the outer suburbs still look quite livable. Kind of goes against the theory that inner city areas will always out perform the outer areas.

http://goo.gl/maps/yFE8g

Thank you for a very good roundup of the facts in this video.
Suggest those espousing the sentiment of the drive by media have a good look and stop with the emotional rhetoric and racist talk.

Seems bizarre that this case is getting this kind of attention. Seems the general public are being deliberately provoked into taking a stand on this case one way or the other.

Watch the pea under the thimble as they say. What else is going on in the US that the public should be paying attention too?

A few of the NBA and NFL players picked up on the case and have been tweeted about it, hence it capturing the public's attention.

Seems bizarre that this case is getting this kind of attention. Seems the general public are being deliberately provoked into taking a stand on this case one way or the other.

Watch the pea under the thimble as they say. What else is going on in the US that the public should be paying attention too?

When the president of the USA makes comments like he has Im compelled to think that he alone is stirring up sentiment and is deliberately intimidating Mr Zimmerman, no?
The media hasnt had to do anything except let Obama do the provoking.
Now what kind of leader of a major nation is that?

It's getting out of hand this big govt, we'll take care of you, those nasty nasty rich white folks, we'll get them.

Unfortunately they are getting away with far more than what some people think Zimmerman "got away" with.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mark Styne, guest host on the EIB network USA.:
Detroit was the industrial powerhouse of the world two generations ago. It had the highest per capita income in America in 1960. Nobody did a thing to Detroit. Detroit did this to itself. It's a one-party state. There hasn't been a Republican mayor since 1961.

There was a fabulous tweet on the Internet yesterday. 'If Obama had a city, it would look like Detroit.' That sums it up.

Back