Barbaric

Another weird thing that's happening both here and in the UK and Europe is that it's the second generation that's turning radical. So mum and dad appreciate their new country and life, are good citizens and all, and the kids for some reason turn to radical islam..

That is what I don't understand. It is usually the second generation that assimilates into the predominant culture--that's what happened cultures like the Italians. I thought that the children of Muslim immigrants would assimilate. I am sure that many do. But to have that much hatred as children and young adults, what are they hearing at home? Who are they talking to to get this mindset? It's such a tragedy. These kids need to be protected from being brainwashed and then used as fodder.

That is what I don't understand. It is usually the second generation that assimilates into the predominant culture--that's what happened with the other cultures. I thought it would be the second generation of Muslims assimilating. I am sure that many do. But to have that much hatred as children and young adults, what are they hearing at home? Who are they talking to to get this mindset?

Our daughter is a teacher at a school in SW Sydney of a year 5 class. She has been referred to as an "Infidel" on more than one occasion. Disgusting!
Great lot we have arriving on our shores!

Guys, on the subject of multi multiculturalism, are you really "for" and accept multiculturalism?

A friend of mine (of Asian heritage) their daughter is 5th generation Australian, only to be told to "go back where you come from" at Australia Day parade, nice!
This would never have happened to a Italian / Greek / British Australian.

Now the question is, deep down inside, do you really see (immigrants especially those who are different from your typical White/Caucasian) as one of your own? Seriously ask yourself?

Our daughter is a teacher at a school in SW Sydney of a year 5 class. She has been referred to as an "Infidel" on more than one occasion. Disgusting!

I don't want to tarnish a whole community with the same brush. My parents were Italian migrants and did it tough. But what has happened to your daughter is unacceptable. I hope those children's parents were spoken to and that the children were made to apologise.

When we lived in Melbourne I had to take my daughters out of the playgroup because the Muslim boys kept calling them 'dogs' and the mothers were not allowed or would not admonish them. I have sat in a bus where Muslim boys were shouting disgusting language in front of my two young daughters. I was too frightened to tell them to be quiet.

On the other hand, I buy all my fruit and veg from a local Muslim shop. They have always been lovely people. I do a lot of my shopping at another shop owned by a Lebanese Muslim woman and her son. Last week I stood by while an Australian man in his 50s hurled abuse and bullied the woman for about 10 minutes.

Yes I do,
I treat any person who is Australian, whether black brown yellow or brindle as equal to me.

I engage with them with full respect and show no hint of being at all culturally biased because I just am not.
I am proud and happy for them to have taken the decision seriously to come here and make a go of it. I try to make them feel at home.
This includes a little light hearted ribbing which I expect to come back twice as thick in my direction. Once this happens then I just know they are good Aussies.

But when they behave like barbarians, or fail to asimilate and basically drag the country down with extremist actions and views then it's open slather.
The worst kind are the whingeing victimist types who expect full attention for very little input.

Guys, on the subject of multi multiculturalism, are you really "for" and accept multiculturalism?

A friend of mine (of Asian heritage) their daughter is 5th generation Australian, only to be told to "go back where you come from" at Australia Day parade, nice!
This would never have happened to a Italian / Greek / British Australian.

Now the question is, deep down inside, do you really see (immigrants especially those who are different from your typical White/Caucasian) as one of your own? Seriously ask yourself?

I don't care where they come from as long as they adopt the Australian "Way". Weeding out the "Scum" is now a real concern!

I don't want to tarnish a whole community with the same brush. My parents were Italian migrants and did it tough. But what has happened to your daughter is unacceptable. I hope those children's parents were spoken to and that the children were made to apologise.

When we lived in Melbourne I had to take my daughters out of the playgroup because the Muslim boys kept calling them 'dogs' and the mothers were not allowed or would not admonish them. I have sat in a bus where Muslim boys were shouting disgusting language in front of my two young daughters. I was too frightened to tell them to be quiet.

On the other hand, I buy all my fruit and veg from a local Muslim shop. They have always been lovely people. I do a lot of my shopping at another shop owned by a Lebanese Muslim woman and her son. Last week I stood by while an Australian man in his 50s hurled abuse and bullied the woman for about 10 minutes.

There are good and bad apples in every barrel. We simply don't want the bad ones. Get my drift?

The moms and dads had to offer up a lot and the kids were given everything on a platter.... They had it good so they do not feel the same gratitude...

Maybe also because they never really feel like they 'fit in' as kids in the new country. Other kids being mean, etc. They then easily turn back to these extreme views.... back in the old country syndrome. Yet they never really new what the hell was going on.

Yeah thats totally unacceptable. So by Australian man, do you mean white caucasian?

We recently visited melbourne and shopped for tucker at Prahran Markets.

The loveliest muslim people had a deli and they just could not do enough for us. They were Australian Man and Woman.

We all laughed and joked about and with each other, it was just wonderful.
Obviously we shopped there a few days later and they remembered us and kept wishing us a great stay in Melb.

Yeah thats totally unacceptable. So by Australian man, do you mean white caucasian?.

Yes, I meant white Caucasian. He had an Aussie accent. That was the easiest way to identify him. I am not saying that he did the abusing BECAUSE he was Australian; I was simply pointing out that it wasn't another Muslim.

Why not say what you really think Harro? Do you think like I do that multiculturalism has been great except for the recent Muslims? No one wants to say that do they? It's like it's a taboo word? I'm proud of most of Australia's immigrants. All of em, except for one lot. The Chinese are super smart and hard working. You wander around the CBD of Sydney and half the people seem to be Chinese. All polite, wealthy, and well dressed and obviously all working and rushing about. They are incredible. The Italians and Greeks, they are like our brothers now. They are our mates. The Indians all work hard as do the Vietnamese and other south east asians

See ya's.

I'm curious as to how you are able to visually differentiate between the Muslim Indians from say the Hindu (or any other religion) Indians? Same with the south east Asians etc.

Hilarious...what does multiculturalism and these Extreme fanatics have to do with anything?

Do you realise that most Moslems would not want to associate with this mob.

Maybe it might be time for you to get educated about what is going on over there with ISIS? :D

Certainly did, and to think we have "Islamic Extremists" living here! A great feather in the cap for Multiculturalism!

Really.....they are the same...both are intolerant...one is in tolerant based on religion ...the other on people who are non-white (at least in Australia...but can work for any race). ;)

I think you are drawing a long bow comparing an Anti- Multiculturalist to a Terrorist.

I was reading an article in The Australian that talked about this very issue of second generation Muslims having rather antisocial, even radical tendencies.

They put it down to a couple of things, mainly that the issue is largely with Muslims of Lebanese background and low socio-economic status in their home country (essentially poorly educated farmers etc.) Upon emigrating to Australia, the father typically takes a relatively low paid, unskilled job and the mothers do the parenting which focuses on girls as they must be "respectable" and "honourable" etc. Since the father is not around to keep the sons in line, they end up out of control. Being surrounded by others just like them reinforces the behaviour.

I don't know if being poorly educated then makes one less likely to value education in your children, but according to the article there is no pressure to excel academically among such families, much unlike, for example, Asian families.

They also wrote that Muslims from other backgrounds eg Egypt typically come from more educated families and have far fewer problems with their 2nd generation.

Maybe there's something to it, I don't know.

Hilarious...what does multiculturalism and these Extreme fanatics have to do with anything?

Do you realise that most Moslems would not want to associate with this mob.

Maybe it might be time for you to get educated about what is going on over there with ISIS? :D

You shot yourself in the foot when you said most? Some however are "Scum" and you can deny it all you like, but to my knowledge it was a Muslim extremist who beheaded the journo.
Is ISIS a terrorist organisation or not? Are they an out branch of Muslims?

Take your head out of the sand!

Kudos to that brave woman, daring to bring to light this subject. Personally--and I may now be called racist--I believe the French did the right thing in banning the burqa and hijab in schools. It is a symbol of subjugation. My daughter had in her friendship group a nice Muslim girl who wore a hijab. Even in 40+ degrees she had to wear jeans or longs pants and sweaters up to her neck and covering her arms. She begged her mother for months to please allow her to go to school without the hijab; she wanted to fit in with the other girls. The mother called her daughter a 'sl**'. One day the girl went to school without her hijab. Her mother threw her out. The authorities rang me to see whether I would look after her for a week or so. I said yes. During that time it came to light that the mother frequently beat the daughter with hairbrushes, etc. The girl had to get up at dawn and make breakfast for everyone. She couldn't go anywhere after school or weekends because she had to look after the baby the mother had just had. It also came to light that the father was sexually abusing the daughter. The mother found out, knew about it, but instead of throwing out the father blamed the daughter and threw her out. It was a mess. The poor girl finally got out of the house but is now left with all kinds of issues.

mainly that the issue is largely with Muslims of Lebanese background and low socio-economic status in their home country (essentially poorly educated farmers etc.) Upon emigrating to Australia, the father typically takes a relatively low paid, unskilled job and the mothers do the parenting which focuses on girls as they must be "respectable" and "honourable" etc. Since the father is not around to keep the sons in line, they end up out of control.

I don't think that socio-economic status can be an explanation. Most of the post-war migrants from Europe were from the lower socio-economic groups--farmers who had left school at about 8 or 9 because of the war. They also came and worked as unskilled labourers, and their children grew up to be contributing members of society and many went to university. I believe that, in the hierarchy of the Muslim home, the mother is beneath any male child; therefore, she is not allowed to reprimand or discipline him. All the little Muslim girls in our playgroup were delightful, polite and sweet.

Kudos to that brave woman, daring to bring to light this subject. Personally--and I may now be called racist--I believe the French did the right thing in banning the burqa and hijab in schools. It is a symbol of subjugation. My daughter had in her friendship group a nice Muslim girl who wore a hijab. Even in 40+ degrees she had to wear jeans or longs pants and sweaters up to her neck and covering her arms. She begged her mother for months to please allow her to go to school without the hijab; she wanted to fit in with the other girls. The mother called her daughter a 'sl**'. One day the girl went to school without her hijab. Her mother threw her out. The authorities rang me to see whether I would look after her for a week or so. I said yes. During that time it came to light that the mother frequently beat the daughter with hairbrushes, etc. The girl had to get up at dawn and make breakfast for everyone. She couldn't go anywhere after school or weekends because she had to look after the baby the mother had just had. It also came to light that the father was sexually abusing the daughter. The mother found out, knew about it, but instead of throwing out the father blamed the daughter and threw her out. It was a mess. The poor girl finally got out of the house but is now left with all kinds of issues.

I don't think that socio-economic status can be an explanation. Most of the post-war migrants from Europe were from the lower socio-economic groups--farmers who had left school at about 8 or 9 because of the war. They also came and worked as unskilled labourers, and their children grew up to be contributing members of society and many went to university. I believe that, in the hierarchy of the Muslim home, the mother is beneath any male child; therefore, she is not allowed to reprimand or discipline him. All the little Muslim girls in our playgroup were delightful, polite and sweet.

Once again Australian families would be distressed by this. They have simply not adopted the "Australian" way. Why can't they leave their baggage behind? What a sad upbringing.

In saying that, sexual abuse happens in all cultures. I just think that young girls should not be made to wear a hijab, because the sight of her hair might make men 'lose control'.

Back