Airless spray unit. Which one?

I think I'll go for the Wallperfect after all. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks to all for their comments and advice.

Thanks Pa1nter and Pinkboy, ... appreciate the feedback and contributions on this subject.

Mystery

I have wrapped my fingers around an airless gun once or twice, but never in a house - so even I learned a thing or 2 in this thread as well!

pinkboy....cheers Mystery:cool:

For a complete novice painting a room solo with the airless spayer how long would you generally have to backroll the spayed area ? As in can you spray the room then roll or should you break it up and do roof then 1 wall at a time ?

Also would be interested to know why the litre flow affects whether a unit is suitable to paint a ceiling (does having the ceiling attachment negate this or is that totaly irrelevant)

keen to learn!

For a complete novice painting a room solo with the airless spayer how long would you generally have to backroll the spayed area ?
For spraying a ceiling solo,you would have the roller wet with paint or water ,have it beside you and spray approx quarter of the ceiling and then roll it quickly,do the other quarter and so on,this allows the paint to remain wet and spread evenly.By doing this method you reduce the amount of time cleaning the ceiling for cobwebs,dust etc. As in can you spray the room then roll or should you break it up and do roof then 1 wall at a time ?
You need to keep the paint wet,so finish the ceiling first and then do one wall at a time.(We call this a wet edge)

Also would be interested to know why the litre flow affects whether a unit is suitable to paint a ceiling (does having the ceiling attachment negate this or is that totaly irrelevant)
The litre flow is not so important when backrolling but important when you are using a larger spray tip and as you can imagine if you are spraying a ceiling that is two feet above your head and the fan of the spray is approx two feet wide you need a large orifice and higher pressure at the gun.

keen to learn!
The cheaper / smaller the spray gun the smaller / erratic amount of paint will exit the spraytip.This is what give you that nice finish or as in the case of the cheaper chinese guns,paint runs due to having to thin the paint,spits,cratering,mud cracking,all these are symptoms of a cheap gun.

You ask about the ceiling attachment,this is a handy item and I have several of them ranging to 3" long to 2 feet long.When you use these attachments,it is nicer as it gets the tip closer to the ceiling,however it also makes the gun heavier to use and harder to spray accurately.There is also the problem of paint being splattered out the tip when you shut the gun off because there is paint in the line.

Is there much overspray if your painting the out-side of your house? I have a two story house and I am worried about covering the neighours houses in paint.

Thanks for all the great info :)

I had not considered airless spraayers until I read this thread, but now am very close to buying the 1.7 HP one from eBay. I have the exterior of at least 2 houses to paint (both hardiflex) and maybe 3 internals to do in the next year or so.

This might save me a LOT of time !!

Cheers :)

I just has a look at both and someone who just needs a hand with general painting ,the larger one would suit however the other smaller one is in Australia(If you believe them :eek:),so perhaps warranty can then be used?

There use to be a Wagner called the Wagner Paint crew that I know a painter in Brisbane bought from Solver paint shop and used as a second gun.The problem with that gun was it wore out very quickly with the undercoats and ceiling flats,and I mean quickly,with in a few weeks it was in getting fixed and then again the next month.
So much so that the Paint shops took it off the shelves but that is with low professional use,lets hope these ones aren't like that?.

This is the size I use except an Australian yellow model

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wagner-T...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item4aba4e8988

I know its a lot of money but this machine is cheap and will give you ten years of hard use with absolutely no trouble
Perhaps a couple can go halves?
Yep, I managed to do something like this.
A friend of mine got a big extension done & builders left him to paint it inside & out (out is hardiplank).

He offered to pay for half the unit if I sprayed it all for him. Cheaper for him as a real painter would have charged more & he really hates painting. I didn't mind the extra work.......although I have only dome the inside so far ;)

Back