Airless spray unit. Which one?

I wouldn't spray the skirts. WAY too much masking to do.

Don't forget you need to mask up the windows and frames too.

Spray ceilings and walls then brush window frames and skirts.

Whats an abrasive paint?
Undercoats and ceiling flats are the main ones

Ive recently picked one up (thats a paint sprayer) havent used it yet, am thinking of doing a paint job on a cheap IP,

im thinking of doing the ceilling and walls one colour and the skirts a different one, would this be a good way to paint?

That's the easiest way and usually the color will look different anyway.

- lay sheeting on the floor
- tape the floor edges with newspaper, leave skirts exposed
- paint ceiling and walls
- either paint skirts with a paint brush or tape tape tape and use paint sprayer??
This is where you need to be careful as usually this is an oil based paint and needs to be undercoated with a different paint
spray ceil

Hope this helps............

ahh yes, agree, my aim was to do the wall and ceiling in one colour,

id also have to tape up all windows, frames, which is more cumbersome, but thats one of the cons, and I guess any doors as well if you arent doing doors,

I was hoping the best way is to get large newspaper sheets and to tape them down!!!

When you spray the walls and ceilings always use a roller over it as you go,this will prevent runs and spread the paint evenly,also pushes the paint into any existing foreign matter to make it stick better,

Ok then. While we have you tradesmen at hand maybe we can pick your brains a bit if you don't mind?

What do you think about the cheaper paints? Would they be good enough for a IP reno? Are the big brands that much different ?

How about masking? Is there a difference in the $2 shop masking tape to the ones you buy at bunnings or a paint shop?

Can we buy those rolls of masking paper some where rather than use heaps of newspaper?

Cheers.

The cheaper paints are fine,remember that the cheaper the paints the more marks that will appear prematurely.Repaint in 2-5 years compared to 5-10 for a good quality paint.Not bad when you are selling but a bit hard on tenants when they have children,

The $2 masking tape has its problems as it leaves a glue that is not easy to get off,especially if it is left on for a couple of days,it also tends to rip when you are using it.

Brown masking paper can be bought from any paint store in 6" or 12" rolls,
You can buy plastic with tape already attached and in an applicator for a fair price also,we use it to put over the windows when we are spraying.

Ok then. While we have you tradesmen at hand maybe we can pick your brains a bit if you don't mind?

What do you think about the cheaper paints? Would they be good enough for a IP reno? Are the big brands that much different ?

How about masking? Is there a difference in the $2 shop masking tape to the ones you buy at bunnings or a paint shop?

Can we buy those rolls of masking paper some where rather than use heaps of newspaper?

Cheers.

Pa1nter answered, but Ill chime in on this one too!

Cheaper paints are cheaper for a reason. They lack certain ingredients in their recipe that give paints their certain charactoristics. For instance, a cheaper alternative ingredient may lose certain elasticity causing cracking, or another might be gloss retention, or even worse - cheapening out on the bonding agents of the paint, causing cracking/adhesion/peeling problems. Yeah, in a perfect world cheaper paints will perform well, but thats why better quality paints outperform them, as they have the extra ingredients that combat movement, solar/damp/dark exposure and to an extent mechanical damage.

As for masking, auto mask dispensers that are 6' plastic with tape attached for about $12/$13 per 33m roll. Less for bulk quantity, like $10 for 24 rolls. As for making tape by itself, get one that is specific to painting, as said above the stress of ripping tape and the glue residue is a nightmare to get off. Worse is some alternatives can actually peel paint up.

Some newspaper printers have 'end of roll' you may be able so snag cheap, but realistically trying to get free old newspapers is probably more achievable.

Good quality dropsheets or 200um visqueen plastic should do your floors nicely if you are protecting tiles or a floor covering.

pinkboy

My 2c...... For IP renos I always preferred high quality that will last the distance......but my own house. CHEAP is the way to go :). I lIke to re-decorate every 3-5 years so a quick coat of paint and some cheap curtains make the house feel brand new ...

My husband who is actually a Painter by trade (although not a painter now) HATES every brush stroke I "force" him to do :)

Hi Dylan33,

I bought the Wagner 119 off ebay and used it to do a whole house in minutes (4br). Cleaning the thing takes longer. Ebay was about $300 cheaper for a brand new one than from Bunnings. The only difference was we needed a european plug adapter. All the instructions still in English (and 10 other languages)

We sprayed the roof and then used the plastic with the tape already attached. The plastic extends about 50cm so no problem with overspray. We were re-carpeting so we had no need to cover the floor.

The only problems i encountered were human error (me:)) Didn't notice when moving rooms that i bumped the pressure dial and set it to max. The increased compressor noise should have alerted me but was in the spraying zone. A very thick coat to say the least. Furious rolling to redistribute the paint to other rooms ensued.

My husband who is actually a Painter by trade (although not a painter now) HATES every brush stroke I "force" him to do :)
I can relate to your husband. I am a painter by trade but haven't done it professionally since about 1982, but I still do all my own painting at home and on reno's, ... I guess I just don't trust anyone else .... And yes I hate every minute of it as well until it's finished and see the final result and the labour cost I've saved.

Mystery

I just found this one on ebay. What do you think?

iPhone/iPad URL:
Wagner Airless Paint Sprayer 220/240 Volt Double Stroke Piston Pump 1620 New!

Browser URL:
Wagner Airless Paint Sprayer 220/240 Volt Double Stroke Piston Pump 1620

They would be fine if it were bigger,and the warranty they shout about is not supported here in Australia ,:mad:

Try and ring a wagner repair place and see what they say,:p

I have thought about it myself,I mean at that price what can go wrong?:D
The problem with this one is it is only a 1.2 LPM and that wont spray a roof or ceiling,the smallest I would use would be 2 litre a minute with most painters using machines 4 litres a minute or more.I have a wagner 4.2 litre I use for roofs and commercial work where two lines/guns are needed.

This is the smallest one that will do all and it is cheaper here in Australia for a good second hand one and you might have a problem selling this one here for $1000 second hand.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wagner-T...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item33773b85e7

Read all that has been said and thought I would put my 2c in...

I purchased a Wallperfect W985E last year. I have just finished my 2nd entire internal repaint and couldn't be happier. The system did a wonderful job and I estimate I used 10 - 15% less paint yet had good coverage. The finish is far better than a roller or brush and the time to paint was ludicrously fast.

Yes, it did take a while to work out the spray settings and dilution rates but once I did there was no stopping me.

Worth every cent.

(PS - Cleaning's a ******)

Read all that has been said and thought I would put my 2c in...

I purchased a Wallperfect W985E last year. I have just finished my 2nd entire internal repaint and couldn't be happier. The system did a wonderful job and I estimate I used 10 - 15% less paint yet had good coverage. The finish is far better than a roller or brush and the time to paint was ludicrously fast.

Yes, it did take a while to work out the spray settings and dilution rates but once I did there was no stopping me.

Worth every cent.

(PS - Cleaning's a ******)

Try doing it everyday, with about 8 different types of coating equipment!

An airless rates about a 5/10 in terms of cleaning.

pinkboy

I hear you ;)
How long do you think these Chinese guns would last on our job sites? :rolleyes:

One of my Poly Spray machines takes a solid 12hr shift to clean properly. By the time you strip down the gun, boil the parts in the chip cooker, clean out the rest of the gun chamber, clean the gun block, flush the machine pumps, put it all back together etc. Not to mention the costs:

12hrs 1 Bloke $1300
DOP, the oil that flushes the machine, $600
'O' ring kit for gun $240
MEK, for cleaning gun parts $100
BT Cleaner, for boiling gun parts, $300
All the residual costs like PPE, fuel for generators/compressors, overheads etc while just cleaning the machine!

So there's a cool $2500 in cost we know of before even cranking up the machine. Lucky this is only 1-5% of the total of the costs for some of the jobs.

As for Chinese airless and guns.........well, they serve their purpose. The guys prefer the Graco X70 for most of our paint applications, and sometimes prefering 10L conventional pressure pots over the little airlesses (cleaning timing issues:rolleyes:)

pinkboy:cool:

When you spray the walls and ceilings always use a roller over it as you go,this will prevent runs and spread the paint evenly,also pushes the paint into any existing foreign matter to make it stick better,
Painter, ... I'm an ex tradesman painter, but never used the air less spray, but I do quite a few reno's , so I am seriously considering buying a good quality unit.

I have a some questions that you might be able to provide the answers to if possible:

1) When you go over the sprayed ceiling/walls with a roller do you do that with a small amount of paint on the roller?

2) Also can you get tip's/nozzles for the gun that allow you to get an accurate job without too much overspray on architrave and window frames?

3) when doors are sprayed with enamel gloss do you also finish then with a roller or just leave them?

My next reno is in one of our IP's in Redbank Plains .... I will probably PM you and see if we can catch up.

Mystery

Painter, ... I'm an ex tradesman painter, but never used the air less spray, but I do quite a few reno's , so I am seriously considering buying a good quality unit.

I have a some questions that you might be able to provide the answers to if possible:

1) When you go over the sprayed ceiling/walls with a roller do you do that with a small amount of paint on the roller?
You roll the ceilings and walls as you go,usually it is good to have two people,one on the roller and one on the gun,usually best to wet the roller with paint before you start and good to have the tray handy in case you stop and need to put the roller down

2) Also can you get tip's/nozzles for the gun that allow you to get an accurate job without too much overspray on architrave and window frames?
I personally don't cover any windows or anything,however if I use enamel in the gun it tends to drift so you have to choose a room and cover up then.There are exceptions to this,in rainy weather the paint stays wet longer and drifts and also houses with black windows.
With the wagner PS21 I can actually spray within an inch of anything without getting over-spray by using the 211 tip.The window frames I always do by hand,it just isn't worth the effort to try and spray them.Arcs are perfect to do with the 211 tip ;)

3) when doors are sprayed with enamel gloss do you also finish then with a roller or just leave them?
It is best if you brush the edges and bottom,use the gun to coat and finish off with a nook and cranny mohair roller to even it out and prevent runs.I do this because we will paint 30 doors in half an hour without the need for checking for runs later.

My next reno is in one of our IP's in Redbank Plains .... I will probably PM you and see if we can catch up.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Mystery

As for Chinese airless and guns.........well, they serve their purpose. The guys prefer the Graco X70 for most of our paint applications, and sometimes prefering 10L conventional pressure pots over the little airlesses (cleaning timing issues:rolleyes:)

pinkboy:cool:

Graco X70 is definitely a gun for the learner on this forum:D:D:D

Back