1 million posts on Somersoft!

So will it look something like this board where the total amount of "likes" per thread are displayed at the top and people can see which member "liked" a particular post?

Kind of, yes.

An example is attached.

Attachments

• 14-05-2013 8-32-37 PM.png
    14-05-2013 8-32-37 PM.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 107
Whats the eta on the new version sim?

Difficult to tell ... there's a heap of admin related stuff missing from the current version of the software we will be migrating to - much of which is being addressed for an upcoming release.

Given the backwards step migrating now would be, I've decided to wait until the new version will be ready.

Unfortunately, the developers are smart enough to not make any commitments as to when this new release will be available - but I'm hoping it will be within the next few months.

The developers haven't made any firm commitments yet, but I'm also hoping part of the new release will include a responsive theme to make the forums work more effectively in mobile devices.

but I'm also hoping part of the new release will include a responsive theme to make the forums work more effectively in mobile devices.

Woot! That would be well worth the wait. I imagine you're seeing mobile traffic jump markedly over the last few years.

Wow I did not think I posted that much - do I need to shut up? :)

Hmm, I was wondering the same for myself :)
Thanks for the info Sim

For the next few months, I don't get a lot of time to read Somersoft, except when I need a break from feral tenant 'life reality'

Woot! That would be well worth the wait. I imagine you're seeing mobile traffic jump markedly over the last few years.

Indeed, I posted about this not long ago - http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85406

I was shocked to find that in January 2013, over 30% of the visits to the site had been on a mobile device (or tablet), up from 17% in January 2012 and 7% in January 2011!!

That really drove home for me how important it is to rebuild the site to cater more effectively for mobile devices.

seems the term "Prolix" is actually very fitting for me!

great work - excellent to see the varied nature of posters all being appreciated.

thanks for pointing this out, Sim.

A.

Indeed, I posted about this not long ago - http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85406

I was shocked to find that in January 2013, over 30% of the visits to the site had been on a mobile device (or tablet), up from 17% in January 2012 and 7% in January 2011!!

That really drove home for me how important it is to rebuild the site to cater more effectively for mobile devices.

6 months ago I wouldn't have imagined that I'd spend 95% of my time accessing the web via phone. Between minecraft, high school assignments, laptop issues I barely get a look in!

The developers haven't made any firm commitments yet, but I'm also hoping part of the new release will include a responsive theme to make the forums work more effectively in mobile devices.

The developers have now confirmed that there will be a responsive theme included in the next release - giving us built-in-tools to help make the forum restructure itself based on the screen size (resolution) of the device used to view it.

They have indicated a beta release next month with a full release a couple of months later, depending on how well the beta goes.

I'm hoping by the end of the 3rd quarter, I'll have a redesigned and mobile-friendly Somersoft v4 ready to go.

The developers have now confirmed that there will be a responsive theme included in the next release - giving us built-in-tools to help make the forum restructure itself based on the screen size (resolution) of the device used to view it.

They have indicated a beta release next month with a full release a couple of months later, depending on how well the beta goes.

I'm hoping by the end of the 3rd quarter, I'll have a redesigned and mobile-friendly Somersoft v4 ready to go.

Great, I came here to suggest a mobile/responsive update to the forum. I'm glad I read this thread first.

Great, I came here to suggest a mobile/responsive update to the forum. I'm glad I read this thread first.

Yup - the software is out now and I've begun some initial testing.

The main challenge I face now is time - there's a lot of work required to get the forum migrated across and replicate the custom functionality we had built into the existing site.

I'm keen to get this going - I'm really enjoying using the new software on some of the other sites I run it on.

Sweet, very much looking forward to it. This iPhone is painful to use while Somersofting (posting is worse than reading, so often I don't bother if I'm using a smartphone).

If a post is made from a mobile device it would be good if the new software can make a signature at the bottom informing people the post was made from a mobile device.

Back