SYD: cheaper housing commision area's out west

Datto spot on about Cabramatta.....unlike the 90s where it had a very bad reputation it is now very vibrant due to the Southeast Asian community.

Originally the Vietnamese, Camdodian, and Lao kids left Carbra to other parts of the city. Overtime they have moved back to their roots bought the older houses, knocked them down, and put uo huge houses. This has really pushed up the prices in these areas. Additionally, some of the more enterprising ones have become developers who have built a lot of smaller developments.

As for Blacktown it is a very broad area.....areas like Doonside and some of the Mt Druitt subrubs are not doing as well.

However, there are parts of Blacktown i.e. Glenwood, Stanhope Gardens, Quakers Hill, Acadia Ridge, and Kellyville Ridge which are very very expensive....you could be paying up to 800k for a houses. There areas tend to have a lot of professional immigrants from Phillipines, India, Sri Lanka, and other parts of Asia. These areas continue to do really well.

As I have expressed previously, there Dept of Housing is selling a lot of the Mt Druitt suburbs off but it will be a while before these areas really start taking off with CG though you could comhttp://www.news.com.au/money/property/sydney-suburbs-ready-to-go-boom/story-e6frfmd0-1225850136320fortably get 6-7% today.

I have bought ex housing commission...my preference to get something where there is a scarcity factor. Thus why I bought a house in Woy Woy on the Central coast. The change there is quite dramatic...a lot of young families from Sydney are moving there.

...... or look at house with potential for development this certainly gives you scarcity and could do this in a number of area.

I like Woy Woy, but yields are poor.... unless you can get one of those ex-comm homes, any left Sash.....:)

Anyone read this article??

http://www.news.com.au/money/proper...dy-to-go-boom/story-e6frfmd0-1225850136320sh:)

Last edited:
I once knew very old man who brought in a suburb that in that time was considered the lowest of the lows.

He needed to buy two properties in the lates 1940's to accomodate his large family and that of his sister's as her husband had died. He simply purchased the best thing he could at the time.

Long time friends never came to visit and his was often branded as a loser at work because of his suburb choice.

It was not until the 1980's did he prove everyone wrong.

He had brought two very large adjoining waterfront terraces at Balmain.:eek:

In the 1970's he said people has started to realise the proximity to the CBD and in the 1980's the heat was on.

Good lesson to learn.

Good lesson?
spend 40yrs of your life being branded a loser and have no friends come visit, I would rather less money and more friends than spend 40yrs alone or be well in my 60's to realize a the potential of a real estate deal.

But i do get what your point was, today's poor suburb if it has the right infrastructure or future infrastructure plan and location maybe next decades top suburb.

Cabra still has a bad rep, just not as bad. Still a 'bad' area.

Woy Woy is going nowhere fast. They have many social problems, very low socio economic, drugs, people on benefits, single teenage mums etc....the Woy Woy peninsula (Woy Woy, Umina Beach and Ettalong/Booker Bay) is very similar to Mt Druitt and surrounds.

Yes a lot of young families are moving there, but very low income families. Mostly from areas of Sydney they have been priced out of and don't want to live in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Most of the 'normal' families from that area move to surrounding areas considered more salubrious. eg: Tascott, Empire Bay, Bensville, Pretty Beach, Hardys Bay, St Stupids Island....etc

I know Cabra and the Woy Woy area like the back of my hand. And PLENTY of people in them.

You'll be selling your Woy Woy place in the years ahead with little or no profit. Possibly a loss after costs.

Datto spot on about Cabramatta.....unlike the 90s where it had a very bad reputation it is now very vibrant due to the Southeast Asian community.

Originally the Vietnamese, Camdodian, and Lao kids left Carbra to other parts of the city. Overtime they have moved back to their roots bought the older houses, knocked them down, and put uo huge houses. This has really pushed up the prices in these areas. Additionally, some of the more enterprising ones have become developers who have built a lot of smaller developments.

As for Blacktown it is a very broad area.....areas like Doonside and some of the Mt Druitt subrubs are not doing as well.

However, there are parts of Blacktown i.e. Glenwood, Stanhope Gardens, Quakers Hill, Acadia Ridge, and Kellyville Ridge which are very very expensive....you could be paying up to 800k for a houses. There areas tend to have a lot of professional immigrants from Phillipines, India, Sri Lanka, and other parts of Asia. These areas continue to do really well.

As I have expressed previously, there Dept of Housing is selling a lot of the Mt Druitt suburbs off but it will be a while before these areas really start taking off with CG though you could comfortably get 6-7% today.

I have bought ex housing commission...my preference to get something where there is a scarcity factor. Thus why I bought a house in Woy Woy on the Central coast. The change there is quite dramatic...a lot of young families from Sydney are moving there.

I dont think people who bought 1 bedder units for ~ $100K in Cabra and 2 bedder units in Cabra for under $150K are complaining much now :D

Woy Woy is going nowhere fast. They have many social problems, very low socio economic, drugs, people on benefits, single teenage mums etc....the Woy Woy peninsula (Woy Woy, Umina Beach and Ettalong/Booker Bay) is very similar to Mt Druitt and surrounds.

Yes a lot of young families are moving there, but very low income families. Mostly from areas of Sydney they have been priced out of and don't want to live in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Most of the 'normal' families from that area move to surrounding areas considered more salubrious. eg: Tascott, Empire Bay, Bensville, Pretty Beach, Hardys Bay, St Stupids Island....etc

I know Cabra and the Woy Woy area like the back of my hand. And PLENTY of people in them.

You'll be selling your Woy Woy place in the years ahead with little or no profit. Possibly a loss after costs.

I don't remember saying there was no cap growth in Cabra (but its pretty average) . I was saying it still has problems, just not as much as previous years.

I dont think people who bought 1 bedder units for ~ $100K in Cabra and 2 bedder units in Cabra for under $150K are complaining much now :D

You'll be selling your Woy Woy place in the years ahead with little or no profit. Possibly a loss after costs.[/QUOTE]

Emotional attachment to a place even though its negative can make people say the most silly statments. How can ALOT of families be moving to an area and it not have an effect on prices both sales and rentals?? Of course its a lower socio economic but prices reflect this and this does not mean prices wont rise. Your last statment is obv a joke or you have lost your mind there are alot of knowledgable investers activly aquiring property in and around the penisuala who obviously think prices will rise...I just hope your still around in 3-4 yrs time when we all do our $$$ cold lol ;)

Of course the peninsula has cap growth. ( Everywhere has cap growth, even if it is just above inflation) Its just very low. They go loooong periods of no growth and then a spurt with a national boom of growth. But demand in the area itself doesnt drive growth.

Demand is always low there regardless of families moving there from Sydney. Thats why its a very cheap area for property.

Ive known the area all of my life and have many friends there. I even know a couple of agents on the peninsula.

[/[/B]QUOTE]

Emotional attachment to a place even though its negative can make people say the most silly statments. How can ALOT of families be moving to an area and it not have an effect on prices both sales and rentals?? Of course its a lower socio economic but prices reflect this and this does not mean prices wont rise. Your last statment is obv a joke or you have lost your mind there are alot of knowledgable investers activly aquiring property in and around the penisuala who obviously think prices will rise...I just hope your still around in 3-4 yrs time when we all do our $$$ cold lol ;)

Of course the peninsula has cap growth. ( Everywhere has cap growth, even if it is just above inflation) Its just very low. They go loooong periods of no growth and then a spurt with a national boom of growth. But demand in the area itself doesnt drive growth.

Demand is always low there regardless of families moving there from Sydney. Thats why its a very cheap area for property.

Ive known the area all of my life and have many friends there. I even know a couple of agents on the peninsula.

Big diffrence... " You'll be selling your Woy Woy place in the years ahead with little or no profit. Possibly a loss after costs." TO " Of course the peninsula has cap growth"

Honestly you make no sense at all, and i dont see your point. they are completly diffrent statments.

As for knowing a couple of agents well i think anyone who is serious about any area will know " a couple of agents" but what has that got to do with proving that your opinion is correct and prices will fall over the next 3 yrs??

Seriously evan the place is due for correction, and you are right about one thing and that is that the area will have flat periods with little to no growth then shoot up dramaticlly over a short period. Well the prices have been level for the past 5-6 yrs so the people who bought then and are selling now are the lossers not the people entering now ;)

Last edited:
Cabra may still have a bad rep but I think its because a lot of people havn't realised much its changed.

If more people take a walk around the shops, they will see how cheap it is, how safe it is and how vibrant the place is.

This is not Cabra of the 90s when there were dealers and junkies all over the place. Back then when you got off the train station half a dozen people would hassle you to buy drugs.

where are those dealers/junkies now? dead, in jail, or just not allowed in Cabra or hopefully reformed.

Im sure confidence is returning to Cabra and this is testament to higher property prices and rent. Cabra is no longer lagging behind surrounding suburbs in this regard.

So, enjoy a yum cha! in good ol' Cabra!

Total spend so far including reno costs is about 278k.....my place is worth about 340-350k. The rent is covering most of the costs at this point.

I only bought the place 8 months ago.....

This thread is fantastic and helps to confirm many of my thoughts / plans regarding the Wild Wild West (I've been a resident for 21 years in the Blacktown Council).

The plan is to get a decent sized block in Mt. Druitt, rent it until I can afford the Granny Flat and then hopefully get it over to CF +ve.

Do people (skater, you seem knowledgeable :p) think this is still possible? I'd hopefully have my 10% deposit by the end of next year.

*EDIT*

As an amendment to my original post, I did a bit of browsing on domain.com.au

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Dharruk/?adid=2008626985

With my limited knowledge (and limited due dilligence) I see the above property as being close to ideal at the moment. It's within my price range, it has a detached double garage which could function as a granny flat, currently has good rental return.

Anyone care to weigh in on my find? I'm trying to hone my property seeking skills...

Last edited:
With my limited knowledge (and limited due dilligence) I see the above property as being close to ideal at the moment. It's within my price range, it has a detached double garage which could function as a granny flat, currently has good rental return.

Wouldn't you need a separate bathroom if you use the garage as a the granny flat?

Wouldn't you need a separate bathroom if you use the garage as a the granny flat?

I work in the building trade and have a few mates that also do. I believe I could provide some limited facilities at a fairly minimal cost to myself. Would have to check whether or not this was possible (council restrictions, actually viewing the property and structure of the garage etc.)

Last edited:
This thread is fantastic and helps to confirm many of my thoughts / plans regarding the Wild Wild West (I've been a resident for 21 years in the Blacktown Council).

The plan is to get a decent sized block in Mt. Druitt, rent it until I can afford the Granny Flat and then hopefully get it over to CF +ve.

Good plan, there are alot with granny flats or part build granny flats already out there for sale, so maybe keep an eye out for one thats done or one that just needs a make over.
Do people (skater, you seem knowledgeable :p) think this is still possible? I'd hopefully have my 10% deposit by the end of next year.

Yes very possible. I would do one now on a 95% lend and continue saving to aim for number two purchase towards the end of next yr. :)
*EDIT*

As an amendment to my original post, I did a bit of browsing on domain.com.au

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Dharruk/?adid=2008626985

Anyone care to weigh in on my find? I'm trying to hone my property seeking skills...

If you have the skills and or conections to turn this garage into a granny perfect. So fully sheeted, kitchenet, bathroom + laundry, etc etc I havn't done any extra research into the above mentioned property but if the figures are around the mark the house will rent for 300-320 and a g/f 180-190 ish so a return of 500 p/w on a 250k purchase plus g/f reno of say 15k isn't to shabby at all good luck with it.

If I was to do my due diligence on this property, what sort of figures / things should I be looking at?

Obviously driving by, assessing the street and surrounding neighbours is one of the first things I'd do. Beyond that, where do I start?

The bones of that home appear to be quite good. As far as the Granny Flat is concerned, get the documents to see what you need to do to make it a complying development. I think one of the requirements is that the structure needs to be at least a metre off the fenceline. If the garage is closer than this, then it may be a lot harder to do a conversion.

You can still pick up houses for much less than this home, although some of them are a bit rough, however if you have the skills it really isn't that hard a task to make them all shiny & new once again. A rent of $300pw is easily achieved with almost anything in neat & tidy, well maintained condition.

Organise your finance!!

For a first investment to me this looks good. Solid looking house seperate garage/granny should get it for well under 250k with gaur rental of 300 but possible 500 p/w. Go inspect it and if you still like it then do some research into the garage with a draftsman to see what it will take to get it approved and if all come back with ticks make a silly offer and go from there. Obviously subject to building and pest.

Back