Can anyone make water run uphill...??

Hi guys,

I currently running through some DD on a property I'm looking at purchasing.

This property slopes downhill, the existing house is at road level. The sewerage is at the bottom of the block, all other services enter the property from the road level.

To recognise the potential of a DA I need to figure how to get the stormwater from any new development up the hill and into the road level kerbside drain.

Had a bit of a talk to the council about it and they are currently scratching their heads over it. All that I do know for certain is that I can't discharge the stormwater into the sewer. I can think of a couple of engineering solutions - but I'm wondering if any of you guys have come across a similar situation before?

ciao

Nor

Nor

Haven't done it myself, but why couldn't you plan on having roof runoff into rainwater storage tanks (with possible watercorp rebate) and driveway runoff into leach drain(s) on the property. Also minimise the paved areas to reduce the catchment area.

If rainwater tanks aren't pratical just go with additional/ larger leach drains. (aka soak wells, leach pits etc)

There are numerous WA properties that do not drain to the kerbside.

Hi,

I worked on a house with same situation as yours.
The stormwater pipes just rise up a little higher out of the ground until above the street gutter level. Then when stormwater comes from the downpipes, it just always sits at that level, so there is always water in the pipes.
The lowest end will always drain 1st which is the street gutter level.

Good luck.

Hi Nor

On one property we have a slope of about 1:50. Luckily this road's stormwater pipe was very deep under ground 2.5 meters so the plumber ran a trench all the way down so we ended up with a fall basically uphill.

The Reno King's had another experience where I am sure they had the same problem and they pumped the water back up the hill from the lowest point. I had a quick look on their site but couldn't find any info related to it.

Cheers

We have a house on a large block which we looked into sub-dividing a few years ago. We took it to council for a pre-lodgement meeting. One issue they raised was the slight slope up to the road for the stormwater. They said we had two options (that I can remember anyway).

1. Get permission from the townhouses at the back to run our stormwater down hill into their stormwater. They could refuse or allow.

2. Include a big holding pit and pump the water up the slight slope to the road. We were told that this option would add costs to the building, plus the ongoing costs of maintaining a pump.

We didn't do any more with this block but from memory those were our choices. This is in Coorparoo Brisbane.

Wylie

Depending on the slope of the land all roofwater can be piped into above ground water tanks and the overflow then directed to the street. Because the height of the tank is say approx 2.4m, this will then hopefully provide enough fall to the street kerb. This system is called a "charged line", and means that there is always water in some sections of stormwater pipe. Hence, all pipes need to be PVC and glued at any joins. In regards to hard surfaces eg driveways etc try to design to allow all these areas to be higher than street. If this is not possible then the use of soaking pits etc will be required. I would suggest you contact council and ask to speak to an engineer who signs off on this part of any DA application.

regards
Andrew

buy an easement off the property behind, and run the water through their block onto the street below. thats how most unit blocks on low sides work.
:)

water running uphill

I have a similar situation but in practise it not a problem at all.

As long as the roof guttering is above the road level then it will work fine as long as the storm water piping from the guttering to the road is fully sealed and leak free.

The weight of the water in the upright of the downpipe provides the pressure to force the water throught the pipe and uphill towards the road.

Imagine turning on your garden tap and placing the hose on your roof. The water will flow up hill. It is the water pressure that allows this to happen. In your stormwater system the weight of the water in the downpipe acts as this pressure.

When you turn your tap off the hose will remain full of water and the same will happen in your stormwater system when it stops raining.

The stormwater pipe will remain full of water though up to the level of the road once the rain stops.

This is generally not an issue at all.

As long as the overall fall (from roof to road) is down hill, then it will work. Just make sure that all joints are watertight from the roof gutter to the road.

Hopefully this rambling post makes some sense to you.

Thanks for all the suggestions .

Unfortunately the roof lines of new unit/s will be below road level.

Chasing this up caused quite a stir in the council....turns out they don't have any records at all of the original house being built let alone the stormwater. Not bad for a place that's supposed to be only seven years old.....:confused:

Even did a DBYD which turned up everthing........other than council related...............:eek:...........damn owner builders.....:D

Did get to check out some interesting rainwater tanks though..........

ciao

Nor

Back