Regards,
Duane.

Hi all,

Is this mag any good?
I have bought the 1st issue and now the 4th, are they a reliable source
of info?

Regards,
Duane.

To be honest, I don't think it's that great. I've bought them so far, but think I'll give it up unless there's something I specifically want to read in it. They gloss over things too quickly for my liking.

Although maybe that's just me. I find once I become more knowledgable on a subject, the monthly magazines don't have as much to offer me anymore - but they're great in the beginning, and I keep them for future reference eg. developing further down the track.

if you want a mag then australia property magazine is about the best you'll get for residential property. it has interesting stories and good market updates - but i must admit, i'm starting to feel like i'm growing out of it too - or maybe because we're reno-ing our ppor i'm more interested in the house and garden mag :D

if you want a mag then australia property magazine is about the best you'll get for residential property. it has interesting stories and good market updates - but i must admit, i'm starting to feel like i'm growing out of it too - or maybe because we're reno-ing our ppor i'm more interested in the house and garden mag :D

I'll second that.

I have found APM to be the best and most informative. I used to read the whole thing front to back and refer back to past copies religiously in research, but I find that nowadays I flick through it and pick out the bits that are most relevant to my situation. Some months I'm lucky to read half the articles - but time is also a factor. A new baby in the house may have something to do with that:D .
I do find the "facts and figures" parts at the back of the mag sometimes hard to fathom - but there are so many resources for figures, growth rates, yields etc. and they all say different things - it's not worth putting any real faith in anyway.
I subscribe and always will as long as I'm interested in property.
Also recommend subscribing to the realestate.com.au email newsletter - usually has some pretty good stuff.
metropole.com.au also has a market update area which is worth a look in my opinion.

Tim

sorry i meant australian property investor (api) - i've also got residential investor magazine on my desk at the moment and got mixed up ...

I don't buy any of the Mags anymore. I'm not sure if I've outgrown them, or they don't have as interesting stories, but I found that I just wasn't reading them. I do, however, purchase them if there is an article on someone I know (from the forum) in them or an interesting article.

I love learning from mags (might suit my short attention span :D ) and API was great for property investing. As others said I found I outgrow magazines after about 2-2.5 years - maybe that's their timeframe for safely starting to repeat stories. Happened to me with API as well as (don't laugh!!) Burke's Backyard. It was a huge learning curve in the beginning (I didn't know anything about gardening or Australian plants) but now I flip through it and there is little new in it for me, same with API.

I want to learn about shares now but haven't really found a dedicated mag for that - any suggestions?

kaf

I love learning from mags (might suit my short attention span :D ) and API was great for property investing. As others said I found I outgrow magazines after about 2-2.5 years - maybe that's their timeframe for safely starting to repeat stories. Happened to me with API as well as (don't laugh!!) Burke's Backyard. It was a huge learning curve in the beginning (I didn't know anything about gardening or Australian plants) but now I flip through it and there is little new in it for me, same with API.

I want to learn about shares now but haven't really found a dedicated mag for that - any suggestions?

kaf

'AFR Smart Investor Magazine'. Used to be called 'Shares' but that didn't go as well, so they've broadend the scope a bit to include other investments (eg. REA, funds etc), but there's still a fair bit on shares in there.

http://www.afrsmartinvestor.com.au/

Yeah this issue has a special property issue which is worth a read.

Regards

Hubby bought me a scratchy this morning and I won the princly sum of $7 which I invested straight into FR smart investor magazine. Looking forward to reading it! Very proud of myself as my winnings are usually invested in chocolate :D.

kaf

I think I find the same thing with magazines and even books, I think there is more good info on this forum, although it was nice to see that osme of the areas we have been looking at are in the top 100 in APi for the next year.

Back