Would you take this "promotion"?

Thanks for all the feedback. It's been really good food for thought.

Basically at my work there are 7 teams that work a rotating roster for a telephone counselling service. Some teams have a roster with lots of weekend days. A sunday for example will pay you $466 compared with a monday which will pay you $233... so you can see why I don't want to lose all my Sundays.

The current relief supervisor position is for 1 of the teams, there are 7 relief supervisors and 7 full supervisors. The current relief team opening is for the roster with the least amount of penalties. I think if it was a relief position for any other team I would end up earning about the same if not more than what I'm currently on.

I think I'll hold off for now and apply for another relief position when one comes up with a better roster.

Right now my job isn't too bad. I get 5 days off a fortnight. Only work 70 hrs per fornight. Get a paid 1 hr break every shift. Get $16 500 tax free with salary sacrificing. I work public holidays a lot of the time but when I do I get 2.5 x for it so $582 for 8 hrs. And I get 5 weeks annual leave each year instead of 4 weeks. So there are a lot of positives with my current position.

The late nights would be pretty terrible with that current relief position. Especially because I'm trying to start a family and build my PPOR which is going to be a 1-2 year project.

I think the best investment of my time and energy right now is my property investments. I've got my own house to do which will get me income because I'll be renting out some rooms downstairs. Plus I'm splitting a block into 3 and putting 2 houses on the new blocks.

As far as my work I can start up a little home counselling business which should get me about $130 an hour. And at least one or two hours work a week with little effort. I could build that to eventually enable me to lessen my shifts in my current job with no loss of income. Won't cost anything to run the business from home. That would go a long way towards making my salary closer to that of a supervisors.

So I've got a fair few options with how I can invest my time and effort, it seems after reviewing everything it's a better idea to avoid the relief supervisor position for now and invest elsewhere.

Thanks for everyone's input. A big part of me just wants to apply for the relief position becauase I'm really interested in working that particular job. I have no intention to try and get a job elsewhere as in my field not many places pay more than what I'm currently on. But I was just really interested in that job. But when you've got 1.2 million in mortgages you can't really afford to take a pay cut anyway...

Tim86 - I don't know enough about the details to give proper advice here.

The key question I would be asking is, do you really want to rely on shift work, and overtime, to make a decent income? I'd be looking for ways to get into managerial positions, which may initially on paper pay less due to no more o/t payments, but give you much more potential to grow.

I started in my company 20 years ago as a shift supervisor, and enjoyed the overtime/shift rates. I left it behind for a managerial role, made less income for a year or two, but then quickly leap frogged over those overtime incomes and now making 10 times what I used to make even with all the shift and overtime loadings thrown in.

What do the top managers make in your company and do aspire to it?

Haven't looked through everyones posts just OP, so sorry if it's been said already...

But what is your end goal? Are you happy were you currently work? Do you want to become a full time supervisor? Is the income you earn sufficent enough to achieve your other goals?

I'm currently in a similar posistion where I'm ofter asked where I'm going to next as now one of the highest performers in the state for my role, but I'm happy where I am for now. At this stage I don't want to further my career up the ladder in the corp I work for as it would be a sideways step financially (based on my current salary + bonus due to performance) for around 3-5 years before I would likely go up again. And end of the day what I'm doing now I really enjoy.

It's not just all about being the highest role in the company you work for, it's about being happy in what you're doing.

Back