Wind Farms for generating power?

I vistited Gipplsand (Vic) township of Toora over Christmas where there have installed 7 wind mill generators high up on a hill above the town, which is on the coast.

There are now plans for more to be built near Yarram in the hills.

There are vigorous discussions amongst the locals about the pros and cons.

My personal view is that they are a short term, insignificant solution to our current coal generated power problems.

Whilst it can be demonstrated that their cost can be recouped, and there are certain enverinmental gains, I cannot see how they can be a long viable solution.

I certainly don't want our coastlined littered with these things.

What do others think?

GarryK

The economics are viable and they will be a useful adjunct to conventional generation BUT clearly they cannot take base load or frequency control. The other but is the number of birds killed. The greenies are agin em in the US.

I love the sight of wind power farms. I know some people say they spoil the landscape, but standing near them, they're magnificient achievements of engineering.

Wind farms, solar, biofuels, geosequestration...

All look pretty margnial in 2006. Hopefully we can make a few of these options more viable and reduce our greenhouse emissions and fossil fuel use VERY SOON.

LucasK said:
I love the sight of wind power farms. I know some people say they spoil the landscape, but standing near them, they're magnificient achievements of engineering.

When I flew into Germany (Frankfurt) a couple of years ago, they wind farms in the country side stood out quite significantly. It was quite a dichotomy (??) to see groups of these 'modern marvels' and the quaint gingerbread style villages dotting the landscape. Quite a perspective.

David.

Back