Who's Made it? - Share your Story for Inspiration!

Not entirely like the msn messenger concept...

Rixter was using "*bump*" as a simple way to write a quick message which would get the thread back into the latest postings area, so that more interest would be gathered in the thread. It's just a simple way to get the thread back into the "new posts" area.

alexlee said:
Instant messenger trick. When chatting you can bump someone by sending a shock to their computer. To remind them to reply.
Alex

TFB, I'll be the first to admit that I don't really have my "finger on the pulse" of the macro economic forces in China - it's an incredibly complex area and anyone telling you they are an "expert" on China are plain liars!

What I can tell you is what I see around me, and the incredible infrastructure growth I see in the large cities won't disappear in a hurry IMHO. In the last few years I've seen sky scrapers shoot out of nowhere, huge mini cities being built within larger cities, and an incredible appetite for the new middle class to spend their hard earned on new housing apartments, investment units, new automobiles, overseas vacations and luxury goods. Salaries are growing 10-15% per annum, you are seeing many more cars and much fewer bikes on the road in many large cities - in fact, just last year I had to build a new car parking facility at my site given the fast growing number of employees buying new imported and locally assembled cars. The old bike shed is almost unused.

The rural 600-700 million Chinese will also want part of the action and I see them driving China's growth for the year's ahead, not to mention the aspiring, affluent 200-300 million living in cities. The top 60 million earners are driving a lot of the growth and demand for goods and services, this being the fastest growing economic demographic - basically this is the population size of the UK.

Again, I am no expert by any means, just comments from my observations. I invested in Asia funds on the basis of what i see around me.:)

vandalic said:
Not entirely like the msn messenger concept...

Rixter was using "*bump*" as a simple way to write a quick message which would get the thread back into the latest postings area, so that more interest would be gathered in the thread. It's just a simple way to get the thread back into the "new posts" area.

Ah I see, and I get it. Thanks vandalic and alexlee.

Thanks Oscar.

I was going to ask the same thing, but TFB beat me to it. All China observations would be welcome by me and others on this forum I'm sure. However trivial. It just has so much bearing on everything.

See ya's.

Oscar, thanks very much for that. Anything you want to say, let it rip without censorship. At least TC and me are all ears, and sure there are another dozen here who are the same. Your insights are extremely pertinent to so many of us who are wondering about iron ore, energy, coal etc sales to china. I am daily reviewing my stock holdings and wondering how big a correction might be around the corner, and how quickly it might bounce back.

Do you mind telling which Asian funds you are in?

No probs TFB and TC, I may post various insights and thoughts in the coffee lounge as they transpire...

I got into Platinum Asia fund in March of this year. Also Platinum Healthcare fund since that is the industry I work in. I invested in both my location and vocation, as at least i can see and understand these things.

If I had kids I'd be making sure they'd be learning to speak Mandarin! :eek:

Thanks again Oscar. A few here have been throwing around Platinums name, and looking at pulling money out of Oz shares for same. Obviously your views on Chinese domestic growth is critical to such a rebalancing.

May I suggest you just start a thread in the Coffee Lounge called "Latest from your China Correspondent, Oscar" and add to it whenever. I'd definitely be bookmarking it. (well, you get the general idea :D)

Totally agree about learning to speak Mandarin.

Would be interested in what you are overseeing the manufacture of over there, as I am a physiotherapist. I suppose it isn't prostheses, yet, though could be ultrasound diagnostics??? Gee, the opportunities are endless to reduce cost of production of so many things...

Ive just been looking at the number of Somersoft Members -

Members: 5,206, Active Members: 868

And I was wondering out all those members just exactly how many & "Who's Made it" to financial independence with the majortiy of their passive incomes generated from property?

Please Note and beware that the questions contained in this thread may be very confronting and specific to some people. Only reply if you are prepared to share your story by answering the following specific questions......otherwise dont.

For those who "Have Made it" -

1/ How much annual net passive income was your goal when you first attained financial independence?
2/ How much net passive income do you currently generate annually?
3/ How many years did it take you to generate enough passive income to provide you financial independence?
4/ What property investment strategy/s did you utilise to attain independence and did you add any additonal strategy/s after you attain it?

For those of you who have Not made it but are planning & working towards financial independence -

1/ How much annual net passive income do you need to attain it?
2/ What date or year have you set yourself for achieving it ?
3/ How much net passive income do you currently create annually?
4/ What property investment strategy/s do you currently utilise now and are you planning on adding any new ones after you attain independence?

Me, I'm not there as yet but I'm planning on it. My goal of financial independence will be achieved when I reach $175k net per annum which is equivilent to $300k gross without having to get out of bed each morning and head off to the rat race. I plan to attain this in 2010. Currently im passively generating the equivilent of around $110k net annually.

The strategy im currently utilising is what I call "Capital Growth Averaging (CGA)" which is a specifically structured buy & hold strategy with a few twists - after 2010 Im planning to add residential developments to my current Buy & Holds.

The aim of this thread is to illustrate real life examples of aspiration to provide us all inspiration. For those of you who have shown the courage to post I'd like to Thank you in advance for sharing your story. :)

With 2010 long gone and 2012 rapidly moving along (or is it just me), how is the goal of financial independence going Rixter :confused:

With 2010 long gone and 2012 rapidly moving along (or is it just me), how is the goal of financial independence going Rixter :confused:

Thanks for kick starting this thread again redwing.

Currently sitting on $150k p/a :)

Am now planning to & currently learning/studying residential renovation in place of development after reaching my holy grail as I originally stated back then.

How is everyone else progressing?

Most of the posters in this thread from back then are no longer around I have noticed.

Last edited:
Your original goal was 175 k. Not far off it but was your projection out or did something change?

The GFC factor changed things lots - apart from another IP acquisition our Portfolio's growth's basically been going sides since the GFC in 2008.

Last edited:
Your original goal was 175 k. Not far off it but was your projection out or did something change?

who cares, forecasting will always involve some degree of error.

The key that i got out of this:
Rixter 2006 Passive net income of $110k
Rixter 2011 Passive net income of $150.

Congratulations, and i am sure you will provide a source of inspiration for many new commers.

Well obviously I care. I was just interested if it was a projection or market factor which caused the variation from goal. It could mean working a bit longer than planned. No biggy but I can ask.

This thread is strange. On the first page it has a reply by Dazz in 2006 but it says his join date is 2009.

Yeah Dazz has had more come backs than Johnny Farnham..Changed his username back & forth a few times. He has done exceptionally well since then and IMHO probably the standout SS performer that Im aware of.

Ok didn't realise you could exit your membership. Change names sure but this shouldn't change your date. Anyway carry on :D

Yeah, my join date on this current forum shows as March 2001 when in actual fact I joined Somersoft back in late1999, a few board versions before the current one.

Back