Which is a better prospect?

Hello,
Thought I would fish for some opinions. Today we looked at 2 places in the same suburb:
1. 3 bedroom townhouse, spacious, ducted a/c, large courtyard and balcony plus parking for 2 cars. Balcony view is of the back of a smelly resturant. The house was really larger than I was expecting and although there was definitely room for improvement (carpets, paint etc) it was pretty tidy. Currently rented out for $265 per week but we would fix it up and would be more likely to use for short term furnished rental. Asking price 314,000
2. 2 bedroom unit, MUCH smaller than the townhouse (only 76sqm), no outdoor private space due to being on top storey but is a water-front property (excellent views from living areas and master bedroom), split system air con, on quiet street still walking distance to cafes, resturants, shopping etc. Asking price for this one is $349,000, doesnt need any renovation as it looks great already, next door unit rented at 270 per week a year ago. We are likely to try this one out as holiday accom also. Comes with 2 parking bays.

The rental yield isnt great for either, but as I said we probably wouldnt be renting it out long term anyway. I would appreciate your thoughts on the 2 options :)

Ok, i'll stay out of this, sorry it just isn't my favourite part of the country for investing.

Wish you well & wealth with your ventures.

Ian.

The rental yield isnt great for either, but as I said we probably wouldnt be renting it out long term anyway.

Mandimoo, to me as investments they both look terrible. Low yields (really low on a net basis), poor land content and they're "around Mandurah".

If they're not "really" investments, then no-one here can possibly comment - it's completely up to you how you wish to spend your own money for your own purposes.

It seems to me that you really need to separate work and play. If you're investing then make a decision to look for properties with good net yields and good capital growth prospects. We can certainly talk about that sort of thing on this forum...

If you don't want to invest but instead just want a house in Mandurah, then go and buy one! Just don't try to kid yourself that you're "investing" by doing so...

I am looking, north of Mandurah and yields are hitting the 5.2% gross "rule of thumb mark" or better on free standing homes - i.e. where the rent per week x 1000 = house price.

Actually most are doing better than this further from the Beach in terms of a yield.

Free standing homes should yield less than units / terraces in theory? Right?

Back