Whats with RIO?

What's with Rio Tonto shares today? I just checked the end of days trade and they are up $3.82 or 4.51%. That's just in one day! What happened? Unfortunately I don't have any Rio shares, but I was just curious. :)

The share market has boomed this week, with several shares gaining ahead of the ASX. Rio did a transaction in its own shares on the British stock exchange, maybe the price they paid was higher than it was currently trading, and it also diluted the number of shares on the market.

Notice to ASX ... 4 May 2007 Rio Tinto plc – Transaction in Own Shares Purchase of own securities Rio Tinto plc on 3 May 2007 acquired through Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Ltd 200,000 of its ordinary shares at an average price of 3,167.69 pence per ordinary share. The purchased shares will all be held as treasury shares. Following the above purchase, Rio Tinto plc holds 67,935,024 ordinary shares as treasury shares. The total number of ordinary shares in issue (excluding shares held as treasury shares) is 1,003,826,446.

That doesn't mean anything to me.:)

Bookmark
http://www.stocknessmonster.com/
a free Kiwi site which provides simple charts, news etc.

But resources are always volatile. Comes with the territory. I'll PM you sometime about my day today. I'm too old for this rubbish. Sigh!

metal prices were up

brenda

metal prices were up sharply on london exchange last night (thur)...eg zinc up 5%.....RIO as a diversified miner responded accordingly..

rich

So, Friday its all up and now we have to wait until Tuesday next week, when the asx next opens?

It's like those Batman series years ago on TV where the climax comes right at the end of the show, and they say stay tuned next week, same bat time, same bat channel.:)

Brenda
The ASX is open on Monday, May 7, Labour Day in QLD. It is a bit of a trick for new traders - you need to check the ASX Trading Calendar for trading days, holidays and closing times. Days like Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve they may close early, which can be a bit tricky as well.

Brenda,

I'll have you know that I was working extremely hard that day.......:p. Obviously my contributions have ben recognised...........

I think they spiked as high as $88 at some point last year.

Interesting to note that Pilbara Iron announced on Friday that they are going to build more houses in KTA. Makes a mockery of the whole *core business bulldust* that they have been flogging to us...........

Wonder how they got the land?Thought the idea was to keep the mining companies out of the land release ballots?

ciao

Nor

Wow. RIO up over 5%. Now the favourite to be first past $100. [Not counting posiedon].

Rumours now that someone, maybe BHP, is going to takeover RIO.
I've had the best week ever for my portfolio, so it's all good.

I believe the market has just realised that resource prices are here to stay. For a long time anyway. If thats the case, then there is a lot of value out there.

See ya's.

Yay! Good to see someone on SSoft is benefitting the jump in price. Rio up today another 5.15%. I have a few WPL up 2.73% today. :)

The gain is not real unless it is realised (through the sale of stock). But then Capital Gain...

If we decide to hang on then there are three possible outcomes: Price can continue to climb, move sideway or drop. All are at the mercy of the market mood, outside of our control.

Welcome to the sharemarket roller coaster :D

I have RIO shares...and yehhh they jumped by $4.53 today to $91.38 :D

Curious topcropper do you plan on selling? I'm debating about selling half or 3/4 and keeping the rest. My broker says to keep them but I'm like arghhh ...I'm leaning towards selling say half, I'm abit iffy about waiting to see if they rise further and would hate for them to drop back down to $80 or so.

Kate

Curious topcropper do you plan on selling?
Kate

Not yet. I believe in the resource supercycle. About to flow into food as well.
If I did sell a few, it would be just to try and buy back cheaper later, but I generally stuff up anything when I do that. I'll just be holding I think. I have $26, $38, and $60 RIO shares, so I'm happy to hold for the ride.

See ya's.

Last edited:
When I have a significant profit in a share and sometimes it gets a little rocky, then I find I sleep much better at night if I sell a portion so I least know that I have locked in some profit.

I trade in my Company, personal name and SMSF and at June 30 each year, the profit I have made (even if not realised) is taxed in the company as it is treated as 'stock' -ie I have been determined to be a trader not investor.

The gain is not real unless it is realised (through the sale of stock). But then Capital Gain...

If we decide to hang on then there are three possible outcomes: Price can continue to climb, move sideway or drop. All are at the mercy of the market mood, outside of our control.

i agree we're very much at the mercy of the market mood which can be a pain in the .... :eek:

but .. i think the gain is just as real as a gain in house price post a revaluation (actually probably more real as its actually what you can get for them) .. you can borrow more against it etc ...

that's like saying when a price drops you havent made a loss until you realise it ... yet you could still get a margin call ...

admittedly though i am a buy and hold kind of person, but i'm pretty sure my margin lender believes my gains are 'real'. Particularly if its a solid company, you'd expect the price to continue to increase in the long term, albeit with a blip or 20 along the way ...

but .. i think the gain is just as real as a gain in house price post a revaluation (actually probably more real as its actually what you can get for them) .. you can borrow more against it etc ... ...

A conundrum

The difference between shares and property is that the share price may NEVER return but the property price will! Just depends on the time frame

that's like saying when a price drops you havent made a loss until you realise it .....

That is exactly the case! The ATO will say that you have not made a loss until you sell the share parcel, or there has been an ATO ruling that losses can be realised (eg when a company goes belly up) when the shares are valueless.

The gain is not real unless it is realised :D

True.

And then there is dividends. CBA shareholders who bought CBA at the float, in Sept 1991, for $5.40, next year will be getting $2.70 in dividends for 1 year, fully franked. That's pretty real.

See ya's.

No different to any other growth asset. The above is like saying you don't need to pay CGT unless you sell shares. A statement of the obvious. You will find it is much more common for people to sell a stock that has increased in price way too early than it is for a person too hlod them too long and the price go down long term.

If you are an 'investor' (as opposed to a gambler or speculator) than short term price movements (the roller coster) should be your friend not your foe. So long as the long term value of the business is increasing and you purchased your part of the business at a reasonable price then you will make money.

E.g. We hold WPL, ROC, COA, EHL and BHP (all resource stocks or resource boom related) and when there was price weakness in these within the last several months we increased our holding and have been duly rewarded.

COA bought more at $5 now $6.20
ROC bought more at $2.96 now $3.35
WPL bought more at $36 now $42.80
BHP bought more at $25 now $31.60
EHL bought more at $1.78 now $1.90

Occasionally I have had a stock go down further after buying more at lower prices but very rarely and usually if i'm patient i make money doing the above.

Jase

I am more interested in long term shares and generating some portion of passive income with dividend payments.

Ideally, I'd love a share to rise in value over time, then I could sell a few of them and pay out the loan which was costing me interest payments and hopefully if I've done my calculations correctly, I will then own some shares with no loan on them which pay me a dividend once or twice a year.

I have a few WPL shares and while the capital growth is very important, I also consider the dividends. If purchased at $36, the dividend yield would be 3.5%; at current prices of $42.80 the yield drops to only 2.94%.

I also consider whether the dividend is fully franked or not, as if it is FF it means the company has already paid company tax on the profits and the tax credit is passed to me with the dividends.

True.

And then there is dividends. CBA shareholders who bought CBA at the float, in Sept 1991, for $5.40, next year will be getting $2.70 in dividends for 1 year, fully franked. That's pretty real.

See ya's.
IMHO..
I bought CBA at about $10.45 IN 1996, and have reinvested all the div's
from day one, i still think besides some inner city properties that was one
of our best investments, but after a day like today and i do hold RIO,BHP,
and 27others, it sort of shocks me in a way once every thing cranks into
gear what can happen in one day,it make me wonder what will happen over
the next 16 weeks,once all the 40 billion plus in the future funds finds a
parking spot for all that cash over the next 16 week,i still stand by :rolleyes:
by NOV THIS YEAR THE ASX WILL BREAK THE 7000 MARK..
But hey i'm only a dumb plumber,who can't even spell more that 5 words
at a time,enjoy the ride because the big bull run has not even started yet..
If i can do it just draw a line in the sand and do it yourself:rolleyes: ..
good luck willair..

Back