What to do with this Yard?

Hi everyone,

i have attached a photo of the backyard of my IP in Gladstone, (Hopefully the attachment works). Hoping to get peoples thoughts on what they would do to this? The retaining walls are falling down and rotted out, so they need replacing, im just trying to get away with doing it fairly cheap. Would you go with treated timber or something else? There are 2 levels so im thinking its not going to be that cheap however i go about it :confused:
Any feedback would be great

Attachments

• hibiscus 17 013-1.jpg
    hibiscus 17 013-1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 164
I'd personally get rid of those retaining walls and vegetation and put in a large masonry retaining wall at the back which gives a lot more useable space to the backyard.

Not sure if there is a product supplied like I have attached below in your area but I have found it a lot better than wood. Cheaper than full limestone blocks.
Basically its a cement post and rail solution. 1.5m is the max height for a single wall and that works out at about $150 per meter (supply only). Some cement around each post required as well.

Attachments

• wall01_sm.jpg
    wall01_sm.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 89
  • wall05_sm.jpg
    wall05_sm.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 64
I'd do what doovalacky suggested too but there are some better looking options if you prefer - I'm not sure how much more expensive they are than the base ones.

osa160311_img01.jpg

There are concrete blocks you can buy that you can lay yourself - they interlock. Of course you need the right foundations laid first but they are relatively cheap and easy because you don't need too much additional materials and labour, like the mortar and reo for older style concrete blocks.

Back