What ticks do my dogs have?

I cannot tell if my dogs are being infested with cattle ticks, brown dogs ticks, or scrub ticks. I don't think they are paralysis ticks as the legs are wrong.
Revolution spot on did nothing to halt the invasion.
A pyrethrum wash is protecting them for 3 days at present. I have tick collars for the dogs when that wears off and if absolutely necessary I have Maldison50 dip. There is also an Advantix spot on for ticks but the size and number of my dogs would cost me $100 per month so thats not really an option.
This is one we found down the back of the dogs lounge along with a whole lot of little ones.
IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

bush ticks

I think they are bush ticks, I get heaps around the area I live in most of the time when I run the dog through the bush, but the vet said they were bush ticks anyways.

The middle photo looks like the ticks that I used to get in my youth. They were paralysis ticks. Mind you, I haven't seen any other type.

Actually Brenda they look like a new breed just discovered that run fast in all directions & only come out on a moon light night , called lunatics. :eek: ;)

Last edited:
Careful, GeoffW - looks like Daz and Rixter want to challenge you for the role of SS's resident comedian!!! :D

Cheers
LynnH

Don't risk it! Take your dog to a vet. How would you feel if you made a bad guess and your dog died? Somersoft and google are not ways to diagnose your pet.

The dogs all have tick collars on now and the only ticks we are finding are dead ones dropped off the dogs. We are finding lots of dead ones on the floors. It was literally a plague of dozens of ticks, mostly all around the same size. Hopefully we have managed to break the breeding cycle.

If it had been paralysis ticks the dogs would have been sick and/or dead by now. Paralysis tick is usually spread via bandicoots which carry them. Our place is fenced so bandicoots do not have access to our yard at all and I am sure the bulldozers in the subdivisions outside our fence would have chased bandicoots off long ago.

The dogs are to go to the vet for their booster immun shots but our vet is very busy and Friday or Saturday looks to be the earliest he can see them. His business is not helped by the power failure his area is having today either.

Hi Brenda,

I now use Proban for all my dogs, they are tablets you need to give twice a week.

A couple of months ago one of my dogs all of a sudden just collapsed and couldn't walk , I rushed her to the vet, they couldn't find the tick but she had the symtoms of a tick bite, was terrified I would lose her. Had to leave her at the vets overnight , don't risk it, get professional advise from your vet.

In regards to advantix being too expensive let me tell you this tick incident cost me $700 all up, the prevention may be cheaper than the cure.

There is also an Advantix spot on for ticks but the size and number of my dogs would cost me $100 per month so thats not really an option.

I was just thinking.........I have 5 cats & I use Advantage, which is a spot on for flees. I discovered a long time ago, since I had (at that time) one large cat & 2 small ones, that there are 8 drops in the small tube & 16 drops in the large tube. So I started just buying the large tubes & spitting one of them. This saved a few $$. Now that I have 5 cats, I just use 3 tubes each time.

Then, I found it on Ebay. Was able to buy a bulk quantity at less than 1/2 price. So........have a look on Ebay, you never know what you will find.:D

Back