What do we do?

The other day a real estate agent asked Les and I what we do and we were totally unprepared for the question.

I said "nothin". Les wasn't any help as he said "same as her".
The poor agent wasn't sure what to say. :eek:

We are obviously too young to say retired as I am only 45 and Les is 49 (just had a birthday).

Property investors perhaps, except we also buy shares too.

Anyone got a more intellectual answer we could use to impress agents?

This list of flip replies gives me pleasure.
I buy things​
Independently wealthy​
I visit real estate agents​
I'm retired, why are you still working at your age​

"Professional Investors" - easy. I mean, you earn your dosh via investing, not slaving, so it's technically correct.

No good?

- "If I told you I'd have to kill you"?
- "That's classified information, sorry"?
- "Absolutely nuttin, we're here to steal the toilet paper. There is some, isn't there?"
- Nup, sorry, ya got the wrong people, we're the gardners stupid!"
- Now do I look like I've ever actually worked?"
- Oh, we're here to collect the body, I mean, you are the Coroner aren't you?"

Can't say I didn't try to help...:D

Brenda, That's so funny. I would love to have seen the agent's face.
I love it when I tell them I'm an Aerobics Instructor!

For the Bank I'm a Graphic Designer/Draftsman. Anyone else out there Batman and Clark Kent?

Depending on who I'm talking to - freelance writer, multisport coach, personal trainer, or investment operations manager (slave job).

Would love to get to the point of having your "problem"
:)

Lately I have answered the question with a straight out 'Nothing.' and I see people look puzzled or mentally placing me on the lower rungs of their mind ladders. The big real job for me is 'mother' but strangely it doesn't seem socially acceptable to be a stay at home mum. It will be worse next year when both my kids are at school most of the time. I have no intention of getting a real job, so I will have to pick from art teacher (2 hours/week), illustrator, investor, developer (sounds silly as our development is small and unexciting), share trader, retired (I'm 30...). 'Nothing' is good because it doesn't require further explanation, but not true because I, like Brenda I am sure, do plenty. Perhaps 'Whatever I feel like' is better short answer.

Louise

Why would you want to impress an agent?

I'd give them whatever answer required so that you get the best out of them.

'Professional investor' sounds like a good choice. Sounds like someone you wouldn't want to stuff around with the property description and/or negotiations process.

I used to say "Investor" but it caused a lot of confusion in those who earn the living by working 9 to 5 for others. To many of them, investing is still a loss making business & can never be a proper "profession".

My current answer is "Business Analyst". Works well :)

Lately I have answered the question with a straight out 'Nothing.' and I see people look puzzled or mentally placing me on the lower rungs of their mind ladders. The big real job for me is 'mother' but strangely it doesn't seem socially acceptable to be a stay at home mum. It will be worse next year when both my kids are at school most of the time. I have no intention of getting a real job, so I will have to pick from art teacher (2 hours/week), illustrator, investor, developer (sounds silly as our development is small and unexciting), share trader, retired (I'm 30...). 'Nothing' is good because it doesn't require further explanation, but not true because I, like Brenda I am sure, do plenty. Perhaps 'Whatever I feel like' is better short answer.

Louise

Hi Louse. I am with you. I have answered "nothing" sometimes when asked, and I really couldn't give a toss what anybody thinks of my choices, except for my husband and family.

I planned to go back to some type of part time job when they were all in school, but here I am seven years after that milestone, and still doing "nothing" :p

I also do "plenty" when I sit down and look at what I have done over a week. In the past two weeks I have been the family taxi for over 1000 km. But try to convince teenagers that driving them around to their sports and other commitments, or to enable them to earn some money themselves in their own job, is a "job".

My twelve year old boy recently actually said to me "Mum, you really DO have a job, don't you. You paint houses."

My husband has some fancy title, but he is SO unimpressed by wealth and money that he invariably (when he MUST describe his position) calls himself a "clerk".

Whenever I'm conversing with REA's, I always say I'm a solicitor.

Invariably they pucker up a bit as soon as you divulge it, and don't treat you with disdain when the argy bargy over wording in the Contract comes out.

It's pretty simple....you just act like a real anal retard and nit-pick everything to death, then when paperwork is pulled up, you start crossing out everything and start inserting your own clauses.

They expect it - you get your way, and everything is tickety-boo. :)

Whenever I'm conversing with REA's, I always say I'm a solicitor.

Invariably they pucker up a bit as soon as you divulge it, and don't treat you with disdain when the argy bargy over wording in the Contract comes out.

It's pretty simple....you just act like a real anal retard and nit-pick everything to death, then when paperwork is pulled up, you start crossing out everything and start inserting your own clauses.

They expect it - you get your way, and everything is tickety-boo. :)

Excellent work Daz.

Makes saying "self employed" and then looking slightly mysterious look quite flat. I need to work on my act!

Back