Website Building

I have been putting this off but I have to do it.

What is the best approach and/ or software to use to build a website.
Should I get an expert to do it or can I do it on my own ?

I need to be able to update pics and text for properties that will be available for sale and rent.

Any comments and help would be appreciated from all the IT boffins out there.

I am happy to pay for one but don't want to spend a fortune.
I have been offered two prices such as $500 and the other one was $10,000
I am so confused!!!!

What is important, is ease of use so that it can be readily updated as the properties come and go.

Someone pls HELP !!

KEvin.

It all depends on what you want.

The two prices you have been quoted are possibly both quite fair- they would provide a website which works and looks possibly OK. The differences will be how easy it is to update (as you have mentioned) and how professional it looks.

My website was designed just as something to show the signboards I have used in front of my store- it's just something which differentiates my signbaord from the other "standard" ones around town, and especially up and down the street. It's fairly simple in its architecture- but it's something which I spent a lot of time in making easily maintainable (at least for me, as an ex IT with some very basic web background). My first draft did not look as lot different to the last- but then, every time I changed or added a new page on the old architecture, several hours work was involved. Now there's about 5-10 minutes.

If you're in RE, there may well be some standard stuff which is available to you, perhaps mfree or at low cost. If the wheel has been invented, there maybe somebody who can hire out the knowhow on how to make another wheel.

Hi kph

If you didn't want to do it yourself ... then here are a few more resource's.

Elance

Rent a coder

Free Lancer

You post what you want done and people from all over the world will bid for your job .... I haven't used any of them so I cant comment on what the service is like ... but it's worth a look

Cheers

Phil

Web Sites

In all seriousness, you should have a professional build your web site. Your online presence is the face of your organisation on the internet, and is as important as the physical presence you project.

You need to find a designer who knows what they're are talking about in regards to real estate web sites, or has been an agent and learnt from experience...

Wild Purple (which I just happen to own) can help on both counts, I am a former real estate agent, and was involved in the development of new web sites for a First National office, as well as being on the technology discussion team for First National Real Estate at a national level.

I have also worked with the design teams (from a user persective), of a couple of the major real estate backend providers (including Port Plus and Hub Online).

If you would like to know more about what we can do, you will find our web address in my profile (don't want to be seen to openly advertising my web site)...

Thanks RiaLing and Phil for the additional feedback.
Moose, its OK to add your website under your nick. Everyone else does so.

BTW I'm not an agent.
I just happen to have lots of properties to sell, and other developers and builders who 'like' me have offered me their stock as well.
Well thats not true. We happen to be working on a lot of common stuff so they have seen the value in having it promoted in my neck of the woods.

I want a medium to promote it, where I can readily update the info and pics as they sell or get rented.
I use a licenced agent to draw up all the sales and rental contracts and hold deposits on trust etc.

Kevin

hi kph
jaffasoft
send him an email he does a great job and is open to negotiate on fees.
he has done one for me and it does look very good not needed it at this stage.
but he is working on another site for a fellow investor and he seems to be happy.
last time I spoke to him he was in bundaberg qld but i have been a bit busy so haven't got to him for a while
he is out of hospital and should be able to give you the best advice.
say I said hello.
hope you make a few million on your projects

Thanks RiaLing and Phil for the additional feedback.
Moose, its OK to add your website under your nick. Everyone else does so.

BTW I'm not an agent.
I just happen to have lots of properties to sell, and other developers and builders who 'like' me have offered me their stock as well.
Well thats not true. We happen to be working on a lot of common stuff so they have seen the value in having it promoted in my neck of the woods.

Kevin,

That's cool... I am happy to help out whereever I can... and more than happy to put together a medium to allow you to do what you want to do... some sort of property portal style site might suit perfectly...

hi Monopoly
no one can be perfect
and any information on any site needs to be checked by the site owners and if you don't understand your own site you have a problem.
for me I like to have people that can do there job with or without understanding english ( I have said that before)
and yes jaffasoft is one in my team and I think he does a very good job

as I said no one is perfect nor do I expect them to be
what I do expect is that they can do what they say they can do and for me he does.
he is not contactable all the time but for me thats ok
reliability is
when you need help the person is there to help.
and for me jaffasoft is 100% on that score.
I am one of those people that stands behind people I work with 100%
and expect the same from them and with jaffasoft i recommend without any reservation.
I know kph
have met him, not in perth as his name says
but in his home town and in his home for that matter and I have no problem recommending jaffasoft.
this you will find is a very unusual thing for me on a board as I don't recommend anything as a rule.
but if some one is good at what they do
they need people to standup and say so.
so off my high horse.
my 002

websites

I've used scriptlace.com (I assume it's similar to those mentioned above). I used a paid template (about $80), then got a graphics person (from scriptlance) to make it look more original (in my colours, my logo etc) and a code person (also from scriptlance) to implement a script. It cost me less than $200 all up and I love the result.

<edit> I thought I should add that this was not for a realestate website, but an eccommerce site. A good realestate site might be a bit more expensive if you want a search function etc (might have to buy a script or edit a US one). However if you don't need the search function it should be easy peasy :)

Last edited:
I need to be able to update pics and text for properties that will be available for sale and rent.
QUOTE]

Hi Kevin

You may care to have a look at this www.weboo.com.au - Ian builds websites for people who want to be able to edit and change the content frequently. He has some customers in Perth - after all, the internet means there are no boundaries and distance is no obstacle.

I have to admit that I am somewhat biased - Ian is No: 1 Son so if you do contact him be aware that he is also a keen property investor - he bought his first property when he was 16 & half - and enjoys talking about business and investing and all those wonderful and fascinating topics so beloved by Somersoftarians!

Hope this helps

Regards

Kristine

Hi,

Two suggestions...

Have a look at what's on offer at http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Classified_Ads/Real_Estate/index.html

and have a tinker with Propertymax Pro they have a free version.

Then if you want to play with it before you upload it to the then, then may I suggest you go to http://www.uniformserver.com/ where you can install a php+mysql environment on a USB key, then install the realty software - then play around with the features - look/feel etc.

Then either;

a) up load it to your site; or
b) take it to a designer and say - I have this - but I want it to do this...

That may say $$ if you dont know how to word your requirements.

Regards
Michael G

hi Monopoly
no one can be perfect
and any information on any site needs to be checked by the site owners and if you don't understand your own site you have a problem.
for me I like to have people that can do there job with or without understanding english ( I have said that before)
and yes jaffasoft is one in my team and I think he does a very good job

as I said no one is perfect nor do I expect them to be
what I do expect is that they can do what they say they can do and for me he does.
he is not contactable all the time but for me thats ok
reliability is
when you need help the person is there to help.
and for me jaffasoft is 100% on that score.
I am one of those people that stands behind people I work with 100%
and expect the same from them and with jaffasoft i recommend without any reservation.
I know kph
have met him, not in perth as his name says
but in his home town and in his home for that matter and I have no problem recommending jaffasoft.
this you will find is a very unusual thing for me on a board as I don't recommend anything as a rule.
but if some one is good at what they do
they need people to standup and say so.
so off my high horse.
my 002
Hey GR, I agree.

The onus ultimately is on the website owner, as with any person commissioning work from another, if they don't CHECK it thoroughly before coughing up the $$$ they're crazy!!! :eek:

Relax, I am not questioning Jaffa's reliablity or his abilities as a designer; nor kph and/or your association with either man. And above all (unlike many others here) most certainly, not YOU.

Perfection would be ideal, but in reality, I don't think any one of us can afford it, let alone ever lay claims to it!!! :eek: ;) :cool:

hi Monopoly
Thats fine I was suggesting that you were as they say having a go.
I happen to like jaffasoft as he does go that little bit further then most to assist
and people like that need more people that they get in contact with to stand up and tell others.
as I have said before I am one of those that are assisting him in getting to a property and start investing.
I am starting from a lot higher platform then jaffasoft but I have told him that we will have him into a property, we just have to make sure its the right one, in the right area with the right growth and no money down.
hope you well

Thanks Moose and Michael and Kristine for the suggestions. Will check it all out.

Mono and GR, save it for the playground ... we're all friends here.

And BTW my hometown is faraway and overseas, but I do have a base in Karratha, and one in Perth, and spend a fair bit of time in Qld.
Its all good fun.

Kevin

Back