We ALL post Good Stuff. Any one willing to do BLOOPERS

Gee we all post our GREAT deals here. But at times investment can be like dating. Yes ! There are great looking dates. That seem like lifestyle and lifelong good times. But over time can send us either crazy, to the wall or both

It is always easy to post the good stuff. But hard to admit bad stuff/ over zealous stuff/ market change or failure.

Anyone that has been through a couple of cycles will have experienced all of the above. As well as relationship/ family dramas. Not to many will admit it. Many just dissapear from here. And investing:eek:

A few of my failures: Hope others will also list.

Don't want to be the only Looser.

In the 1980's: Had to many properties that i purchased by gearing up on the value increases of properties purchased in the late 70's. Saw market double and thought it would never end !!! ???

About 1984 realised I was sitting in Poooo. Heaps of debt. Little rental rises. BUT interest rates going from around 11% to 18%.

Still was in denial:eek:

Covered the extra shortfalls by extra working hours.

Working 80 hrs a week with main employer and another 20 as Retained Fireman at NSW Fire Brigade.

At times the only sleep i got was on night shift doing emergency service with Electricity provider. If a quiet night.

Eventually had to dump some stuff. !8% was sending me bankrupt!

In the late 80's finally saw properties double over about 12 to 18 mths.

Finally it had paid off.

But the market then leveled off and did nothing till around 1998.
In that time I had kidney failure & was made redundant from my job.

God That was like suicidal stuff.

Big income gone:eek: Heap of debt. Sick as a dog. Expected to DIE

Sold down more stuff.

Started developing small spec stuff in time for 1998 to 2003 boom. Then sold out.

Very conservative at present. Not going back to 1980/1990' hopefully:eek:

Gee Cee
Greg

Conservative 40 something yr Old :rolleyes:

bought and daytraded on T3 @ start of year, like a gambler pissed away about 40k, and then kept buying more and more CNP shares... sitting on a mine of centro shares, its either a really good thing or a really bad thing... dunno yet. @ present its bad because i wish i could pull out and buy some more property, however put too much in to let go now... i think it will recover, in these times you never know.

brought a 30 acre block of land just outside canberra. With the intent
of selling my PPOR in WA to build a house on it. Was showen the light by investing in property. it was then that I discovered I had made a mistake.
Currently trying to sell said land in order to buy more houses.
Good thing didn't sell PPOR came within 3 days of putting it on the market :eek:

Our most memorable time in terms of bloopers was investing in an IPO, 40K of 100% borrowed money when that was significant money.

Why did we buy? Because we knew one of the director's and he was hyper confident. We saw the share prices rise enough to pay out out entire PPOR loan but decided to wait until it went up 4 times more :D Nothing like pure greed combined with naivety.

Needless to say there was some dodgy move that stripped the company of all its assets and we were left with a loan and shares worth zippo. Ouch!

Our property bloopers have been more in terms of timing rather than dud properties. Agree with GeeCee. Timing is everything (well good structure and financing doesn't hurt either)

blew 50k in day trading, and just spent 18 mths building our dream home to find out at the end the market changed and i couldn't get tha extra equity i needed and the val didn't come close and now selling, tough lesson lotsa pain.

Learnt that if you dump the clutch on a powerful all wheel drive car wearing semislicks on a VHT treated dragstrip you will spray 10k worth of fluid, diff, driveshafts and gearbox all over the ground.

could write a book...

- investing in a long term cap gtee product mid last year
- buying a beachside development site early last year
- selling various properties before the big Perth boom
- keeping various properties thru the Perth boom and out the other side
- starting a devy at the wrong time in the cycle

you just gotta hope your wins exceed your losses!

I'm still in the biggest blooper. All the shares I still hold. They are just now put under the bed. All profitable blue chips, I don't even look at the market now, they will do what they do. Thankfully I got rid of all my share debt in Nov 07. :)

I have bought some stuff in the last few months, and no doubt will buy more along the way. Can't help myself.

Sold a house in a country town in 2004. Would be worth double now.

Me and the old man looked at a neat 1000 hectare farming block in 2000, just up the road from us, for $2500 per hectare. Every hectare arable, just as good a country as our own land. We almost took it on, but chickened out right at the end. It would be worth $6000 per hectare now, and I reckon we'd have it paid off already.

See ya's.

Thanks Gee Cee,

I'm in the thick of my first big blooper. Too NG, and not enough cashflow. I too thought two minute noodles were a staple diet! :eek:

Time will tell how I come out at the end. :D

Regards Jo

i've had a few - which have been widely aired on here at the time ...

bought a knockdown and did a rebuild just as the last boom came off the boil - ended up selling for $100,000 less than it would have been worth 12 months earlier. i held on to it, and put tenants in, hoping the market would come back. holding costs and trashy tenants cost me big time and ended up selling at a large loss. if i'd taken the hit and put it on the market for the $100,000 less 12 months earlier i'd have made a profit - albeit a small one.

bad structure setup meaning i've got massive losses (around $300k) stuck in a trust - of which i can't claim against hubby's large paye tax.

bought an ip with intention of putting 3 townhouses on without doing proper council dd (to save a few hundred dollars), ended up could only put 2 townhouses on due to flood restrictions which stuffed the viability of the project. sold in same condition 18mths later and broke even.

bought shares 10 days ago thinking we were close to bottom - shares have then dropped another 33% since ... but the company has good bones and dividends and will bounce back when the current mess sorts itself out. just wish i bought on friday and ended up with 33% more shares!

the list goes on ....

fortunately the "positive" list is longer than the "lessons" list.

Learnt that if you dump the clutch on a powerful all wheel drive car wearing semislicks on a VHT treated dragstrip you will spray 10k worth of fluid, diff, driveshafts and gearbox all over the ground.

whoops. Eastern Creek? they used VHT a fair bit. do you run anti-lag with the MoTeC as well?

i learned that standstills with slicks twists your tailshaft around 180º. no 5h1t - the paint line rolls right around the shaft now....:eek: also makes the diff noisy - ah well, kingswoods....

my biggest blooper was selling our wembley unit. would be putting about $150pw in my pocket today.

Back