Treadmills....are they suitable for running on?

Can I ask the OP what your goals are?

If you want to work up to been a long distance runner or walker then a treadmill may be a good starting point.

However, if you are looking to lose weight, tone up etc if can be counter productive. It is a catabolic exercise. Which means the endurance part of it burns into your muscles mass. This means that your metabolism is slowed down to compensate for that loss (body thinks it is starving, so it goes into survival mode).
Look at marathon runners to see my point, all bones.

What this means is, as soon as you stop running or walking your metabolism will be worse then what is was when you first started, sad but true. They call this the yo-yo effect.
This is the same thing that happens when people want to lose weight and eat less/diet. It works while you are doing it as you are starving your body/losing muscle mass/lowering your metabolism. Though as soon as you stop dieting/eating less..your metabolism is alot slower by this stage, you gain more kilos then you had before. I'm talking from exp. here.

Best thing to do is to get into an anabolic state, this will raise your metabolism as it is a muscle building stage. Have you seen what sprinters look like..point been, sprint.
Start off with a slow sprint and work up to a max effort sprint. Do it every second day 20times for 20metres. It is so much more effective then running for hours on end..sprinting is also efficient. It has worked for me :eek: .

People enjoy jogging, do it for that reason if you do. But to lose weight, there are better alternatives.

Cheers
Daniel

Back