Townhouse negotiations

Hi,

We have a contract on a townhouse which we want as part of our SMSF investments.

It had building and pest today and everything was good except that the guy noted that the free standing brick column that supports the tile roof of the garage and roller door has been hit by someone's car which has pushed the pillar about 30 mm off centre so the roller door is jammed now.

What needs to be done is the weight of the roof needs to be acroproped up and the the pillar may be able to be straightened with block and tackle then the roller door can be adjusted again according to this inspector.

I phoned 2 builders who do ths sort of thing and both said that's what needs to be done but one said in worst case scenario the pillar may need to be dismantled then rebuilt straight if it can't be pulled around. The bricks would be saved to be reused so they match and the body corp doesn't get annoyed.

Phone pricing ranged between 3k upto 4k if the pillar needs rebuilding worst case and repairing roller door.

Am I best to get this renegotiated off the price via my solicitor and organize ourselves or get them to do it.

The agent is been unhelpful and won't make any calls to find out what's going on.

Short answer is yes and best of all you don't need the agent involved.

You need to get your solicitor to advise the vendor's solicitor of this (you want to get 3 quotes and lower the price on the average of the 3 quotes or something to that effect) and it may be good to get an extension on the cooling off period whilst you sort this out.

Regards

Shahin

Back