Top up loan or extension to existing loan

Hi guys,

I have just built my first house and I am very happy with it.

A kerb side valuation came in at $310k and my loan is for $232k. I need a lot of stuff done around the yard and would like to put in air conditioning, so I am considering borrowing an extra $8k to fund these things and round loan up to $240k.

My mortgage broker is suggesting either a top up loan or extension to existing loan. I am currently waiting for he's email reply to tell me what the difference is.

I would also like to know if, by taking this extra loan will it make claiming interest on loan when the house becomes a rental difficult?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Josh

If the purpose for the money remains the same as the base loan, id be tempted to top up the exist loan if the lender allows

Simpler

ta
rolf

thanks for your reply Rolf, yes the purpose is for stuff for the house. i just dont want to top up the loan and in a year or so when it is a rental property, have difficulty figuring out how much % of the interest i can claim because of this little $8k top up

Hi Josh

Im not a accountant, but if all the dosh goes inot ficing the place, then its all deductible in terms of the interets bill.

ta
rolf

Back