Time v Money

An interesting article in the Melbourne Age, comparing the value of money v the value of time.

That we are now so driven by wanting more money we are giving up more of our leisure time. And then probably paying someone (with after tax dollars) to do the things we don't have time for.

Time can't be "saved up", but you can buy it off other people. This doesn't make sense though if you are paying them more than you are earning (net) if you could do it yourself.

It used the example of how business's make the customer wait (airline check in), because the customers time costs that business nothing, but to employ more staff, does.

Simple concept, but well written and made me think.

Age article -

GarryK

I really agreed with the notion of the damage that can occur to our personal relationships, due to our "rush hour" world. It really pays (and not in dollars!) to actually stop and "waste" time, simply spending it with those who mean most to us.
Too many of us these days have forgotten how to simply "be", without thinking of 101 tasks that we should be doing.

I save time by doing stuff during waiting hours. That's why I always bring some work with me when I'm doing menial stuff like going to the dentist or riding public transport. So far I think I've "gained" 10 more hours per week.

Back