Thoughts on Redcliffe Peninsula

Have just returned from holiday on Gold/Sunshine coasts and did a little looking around at property whilst there. On a recommendation from Josko I took a detour onto the Redcliffe peninsular area. I was impressed with what I saw and have commenced research for a possible purchase. I noticed a new bridge being built, new shopping cntr at Clontarf. Woody Point and Scarborough look good and I think Redcliffe has the potential to 'go off' in a few years. Less than 30 Kms from CBD. The signs to me are just emerging that this could be an area that will go.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions/suggestions on any of the suburbs on the Redcliffe peninsula that will assist my decision making either for or against?

Project 1080

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Project1080

There have been several threads about Redcliffe in the past 6 months or so, with lots of info - and some rather robust debate! Suggest you do a search.

FWIW, I have 2 lots of friends who live - and invest - there and who have purchased since mid-2008. Their opinion is that, at present, the area is crawling with FHBs and is rather over-priced. IMHO, it's a good area in which to invest ..... but definitely not at the moment. I'd be waiting for the FHB frenzy to settle down somewhat.

Additional info to take into account - or ignore - as you see fit:
~ 30 km is a looong way from the Brisbane CBD - unlike, say, in Sydney and Melbourne
~ the roads and traffic are appalling at peak hour - and will continue to be for years yet
~ no matter what you hear, there will NEVER be a railway to the Redcliffe peninsula

My 2c worth .....

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Hi Project1080,

A lot has been said about Redcliffe already on this forum. See the link below.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43971

Summary from my point of view

Pros

Has a feel of a Tourist place but still accessible to Brisbane CBD
Potential Lifestyle suburb - From Deadcliffe to Hotcliffe - IMHO prices have a long way to go. Redcliffe has to potential to become what northern beaches / upper north shore are to Sydney.
Beachside suburb
Money being spent by the government on infrastructure

Cons

Distance to CBD - As population grows, distances do get shorter!
No surf - Isn't going to change, consolation is that beach is good for family.
No train - Keep dreaming.
Traffic congestion at peak times - Will ease when bridge is completed next year.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Roopam

I personally that Moreton Bay coast from Shorncliff up has potential over the longer term. It is cheap...for being near water.

I bought in Jan. 2009 in Deception Bay for $235K ...before the FHB hoo haa...very hard to find stuff under 265k now.

I agree with Lynn....wait for the great "unwashed" (FHB) to disappear...and then look around for buys. I think Brisbane will get hit hard by the GFC.

My picks would be Clontarf, Margate, Brighton, or Sandgate.

Agreed!!...Shorncliff is expensive.....but shows the potential for the others I mentioned.

Which one in your opinion has the better beach! ....I understand it is Margate? I know these areas can't be compared to Bryon or Sunshine beaches...but never the less the question needs to be asked...:p

..... and Shorncliffe, if you have the $$. But that's not the peninsula.

Cheers
LynnH

Hi project1080,

I'm glad I could be of help!:D It's also great to have someone else back up my views of Redcliffe, as do many here on SS.

I watched the area for about three years before I finally stopped procrastinating and bought there. Apart from the fact that the Peninsula has no surf, I think it is in for some nice Capital growth in coming years. I can feel it in my bones!

Personally I think Woody Point was about 5% over-priced towards the end of last year. Due to the fact that:

1. It is the closest suburb on the Peninsula to the new bridge out.
2. The new hotels and apartments and major improvements along the shore line - made it "yuppie" attractive.
3. Woody Point "was" quite underpriced considering it's proximity to the above.
4. Throw in the FHOBG.

Also a thought is Margate. I don't know what it is about Margate, but it has never received much mention here. I must admit the name is not attractive and alot can be said for the names of suburbs and their appeal to buyers.;)

Regards JO

Among the suburbs in Redcliffe peninsula, I personally believe that Redcliffe has the biggest promise because it is central, has the facilities like hospital, offices and retail and last but not least has the best beach (Suttons beach) and the best views. But anywhere on peninsula is good including Kippa-Ring because of business and ... (If the train line comes it will be till Kippa-Ring).. I know... dreams!

i agree that the area is aboomer, as my mother was forced to sell due to divorce no 3 i might add?
but the infstructure looks like it should support itself without the need to travel to brisbane city.
have heard of alot of new buildings , but go through the concil notes just to be sure as to your expectations for the future.

whats the bridge going to do really???/

the bloody gateway arterial and the bruce h/way are hopeless in peak hour..............by the time the bridge is finished and the new gateway is finished everyone up there will be no better off cause the traffic will have simply increased further...........

lose- lose situation...........

redcliffe and closeby areas needs high speed rail to relieve some traffic congestion...and thats a long long way off...

i simply wouldnt live there for that reason..nice place..it may increase in values down the track but quality of life is also important when it comes to getting from A to B.

Id be more inclined to look seriously at Victoria Point or a little south......unlimited possibilities in that area and growth potential is also unlimited.............

good luck.

IMO

For me Redcliffe's a nice place to get fish and chips for the day and look at the water and after that happy to go home.

The only reason they'd be replacing the bridge is the old one is probably getting ready to fall into the water.

Just seems to me that every time I go there I see a contestant for the worlds fastest 1982 Gemini peeling around the corner.

IMO come closer in to the CBD and get into the northern or western suburbs of Brisbane.
On a tangent - this was sent out by the abc earlier.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/01/2557854.htm

IMO

For me Redcliffe's a nice place to get fish and chips for the day and look at the water and after that happy to go home.

I can get that at Wynnum/Manly and catch a train as well.
If I want or drive to the CBD during peak hour it's 20 to 30 minutes.

Plus a couple of minutes to the Gateway for North South travel if one must.

Dave

Hi all,
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I'll expand my horizons a little more and also investigate the other places mentioned.

Great to observe the diverse opinions and perceptions everyone has. I didn't think Redcliffe was that feral at all. Like Melton in Vic. Lived there as a kid. Stil don't think it's that bad. Each to their own I suppose.

Spectre - Now you tell me about the bridge!! Damn thing's 3km long. Maybe the train will go on the old bridge.

Josko - thanks for the tip. The detour was enjoyable. Re: Margate. The name can be changed which could improve the values of the area. Happened here in SA. Part of Hackham was renamed to Onkaparinga Hills. New housing built in Onka and the price differential is quite large.

Project 1080.

Hi all,
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I'll expand my horizons a little more and also investigate the other places mentioned.

Great to observe the diverse opinions and perceptions everyone has. I didn't think Redcliffe was that feral at all. Like Melton in Vic. Lived there as a kid. Stil don't think it's that bad. Each to their own I suppose.

Spectre - Now you tell me about the bridge!! Damn thing's 3km long. Maybe the train will go on the old bridge.

Josko - thanks for the tip. The detour was enjoyable. Re: Margate. The name can be changed which could improve the values of the area. Happened here in SA. Part of Hackham was renamed to Onkaparinga Hills. New housing built in Onka and the price differential is quite large.

Project 1080.

I had absolutely no idea that was possible. There you go!:rolleyes:

Regards JO

Back