The Unions have already started ...

Several months ago, I 'reminisced' in a post on the forum about the strikes we all used to 'enjoy' under previous Labor Governments - beer strikes just before Christmas, baggage handlers on strike before the Christmas and Easter school holidays etc ...

Well, it has already started! :eek: Just had a call from hubby at Brisbane Airport (waiting to catch a flight to Sydney). The Qantas terminal is in chaos: flights have been cancelled or delayed ........ because the baggage handlers have had a stop work meeting!!! :mad:

And the ACTU Government hasn't even been voted in yet!! I fear that this is but a taste of what we have to look forward to! :(

Cheers
LynnH

Several months ago, I 'reminisced' in a post on the forum about the strikes we all used to 'enjoy' under previous Labor Governments - beer strikes just before Christmas, baggage handlers on strike before the Christmas and Easter school holidays etc ...

Well, it has already started! :eek: Just had a call from hubby at Brisbane Airport (waiting to catch a flight to Sydney). The Qantas terminal is in chaos: flights have been cancelled or delayed ........ because the baggage handlers have had a stop work meeting!!! :mad:

And the ACTU Government hasn't even been voted in yet!! I fear that this is but a taste of what we have to look forward to! :(

Cheers
LynnH

You ain't seen nothing yet! :eek:

But aren't we still under a liberal government? And are you saying that stop work meetings should be outlawed?

Firstly, why do you think its a silly game? Secondly, my initial question hasn't been answered yet.

I just don't understand the context of the original post considering Labor are no certainties tomorrow. It seems like more unfounded Labor/Union bashing to me.

evand

The Libs are only the 'caretaker government' at present and have no power over industrial outcomes (or over anything else, for that matter).

The point I was trying to make was the unions are flexing their 'industrial muscle' - they are so arrogant and confident that they can get away with this sort of behaviour, even before the election is held. And Rudd tells us he is going to stop it if he is elected??? Methinks he has a snowflake's chance in h*ll!

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Why have a stop work meeting?

Do you think those involved want to give up their pay?

Do they receive so much money that as baggage handlers they have a heap of income from other sources?

if I was in Brisbane I would be really upset but I wouldn't blame only one side
What is it about management that causes people to be so frustrated that they need to give up their work time.

Your post is totally unjustified and shows your bias .
You could have easily just have complained about Management forcing the workers to hold their meeting.

A better post would be to complain about both , but that would involve removing your bias.

And so what if they are flexing their 'industrial muscle' Does that scare you. I'm an employer (and have been for a long time) and it doesn't bother me at all. The better my employees are treated, the more successful my business is. Sorry, thats a fact.

Don't believe all the anti union scaremongering by Howard. Its all he has left.

Can i ask are you an employee or an employer?

evand

The Libs are only the 'caretaker government' at present and have no power over industrial outcomes (or over anything else, for that matter).

The point I was trying to make was the unions are flexing their 'industrial muscle' - they are so arrogant and confident that they can get away with this sort of behaviour, even before the election is held. And Rudd tells us he is going to stop it if he is elected??? Methinks he has a snowflake's chance in h*ll!

Cheers
LynnH

A young girl nearby to where I live was assulted and left for dead. She required months of rehab in hospital and at first they didn't think she would survive. Her father was a tradie and those dam unions & union members raised thousands of dollars so he could be by her bedside and not have to worry about paying the bills. Those unions are such a stain on society:D

There is only one group sillier than the pollies and their propaganda: That's the them what swallows it. :) Union militancy was rampant under the Fraser gov. and Hawke got them under control with his "compact with the unions". :eek:

It's easy to tell when Pollies are lying: Their lips move, so think independently.

You could have easily just have complained about Management forcing the workers to hold their meeting.

A better post would be to complain about both , but that would involve removing your bias.
Dear Redsquash,

1. With an ALP State Government in WA and their employer, and in their bid to pressurise for more pay, the train drivers for the new southern Perth-Rockingham-Mandurah Railway Line Train services were recently reported to be "plotting" to intentionally delay and further disrupt the planned commencement of the new train services on 23rd Sep 2007, by deliberately "failing" their own (train) self-test en masse, at the last minute.

2. This kind of unilateral union actions at the expense of disrupting the public essential services, and thereby causing much un-due and unneccesary inconveniences to the general public, is much un-called for and "selfishly-motivated", though it remains a common practice in many Australian States, including in NSW.

3. This is despite that some of the workers have already been fined heavily for causing undue delay and budget blow-outs on the Perth-Mandurah Railway Project and to their employer, the WA ALP State Government previously.

4. For your further comments and discussion, please.

5. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

if I was in Brisbane I would be really upset but I wouldn't blame only one side. What is it about management that causes people to be so frustrated that they need to give up their work time.

Your post is totally unjustified and shows your bias .

redsquash

Actually, I wasn't writing to heap blame on one side, as you suggest. I was writing from the point of view of the general public, who are massively frustrated and inconvenienced by such actions.

My husband was on his way to work in Sydney, and if he doesn't get there, he won't be paid at all - through no fault of his own! Is that fair???

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Firstly, why do you think its a silly game? Secondly, my initial question hasn't been answered yet.

I just don't understand the context of the original post considering Labor are no certainties tomorrow. It seems like more unfounded Labor/Union bashing to me.

It's an expression! silly because... why shouldn't it be illegal, seems more than reasonable.

I reckon Evand's tenants should get togethor and form a 'stop rent union' :D

Why shouldn't they have a right to protest/strike because they are not happy with the rent? ;)

Dear All,

I almost could not believe it myself when the WA ALP State Govt even openly encouraged (and officially paid) its civil servants to go on one-day peaceful street protest in Perth to protest against the WorkChoices policies last year.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear Kenneth,

1. You are not participating in this election, why do you feel it necessary to post so often your anti-ALP stance?

2. Is it true that in Singapore, you may get punished for anti-government protesting, chewing gum, or being homosexual? This may explain your disbelief, and perhaps some of your attitudes?

3. WorkChoices, according to many polls, are opposed by 55% of the Australian population. Of course, even the government had to drop the name "WorkChoices" due to its unpopularity.

4. For your further comments and discussion, please.

5. Thank you.

Cheers,
King BROWN

Back