The new House

Just a few photos of the new house we are building. Its certainly been an interesting project. So far it's coming up a treat. Hope to have a couple of decks on and tennents in soon.

housedelivery250808020.jpg

housedelivery250808053.jpg

housedelivery250808068.jpg

housedelivery250808071.jpg

Hi battle on,

reminds me of the old classroom "portables" .........what a great idea to deliver in modules and stack and secure.

What made you go this way? Price? How does it compare to traditional brick or concrete prefab?

Any more details to share?

Hi Michael,

I know what you mean with the "class room portables" but the finish on these is excellent. You realy wouldn't even know its a transportable now.

One of the main reasons was a time factor. I have been in construction a long time and didn't see much point in paying someone to oversea the whole process so I wanted to do it and save a bit of money. I work 60 days on and 30 off so it was built while I was away and I was able to organise all the foundation work, steel columns, plumbing, electrical etc and put it on on my return.

Price.....135k for the 3 modules... 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom all fitted out with lights,kitchen,carpets,showers etc. We had to install heat pump, blinds and fit out wardrobe with shelves and doors. Transport and crane costs were also our responsibility.

Basic infrastructure costs have yet to be tallied but looking at overall cost of 180k when finished. Hope to get a valuation done soon and will let you know. Looking for rental return of 300pw and since we bought the land nearly 20 yrs ago it will be cf+.

Compared to traditional styles of building I would think it would be a bit cheaper. The quotes I had started around 202k for brick but we all know theres always extras on top. I am still supprised actually just how good it looks and will post a few more pics when I get a chance.

I would love to see more photos. This could be something we could "throw" into the back yard of an IP we have. We looked at building, but this would be an "easier" answer (maybe :)).

Is it possible to see internal photos when you have them?

transportables these days really have come a long way - we were looking at some for a ravensthorpe deal we were looking at.

nice work - keep up with the pics.

Hi All I am away at present but will try to get some updated pics. The following were taken during construction at the companies yard so they are a bit messy.

Kitchen
statewidehouses039.jpg

Island Bench in Kitchen
statewidehouses005.jpg

Lounge through to Kitchen
statewidehouses040.jpg

Ensuite
statewidehouses020.jpg

All the Tradies at work on the 3 Modules
statewidehouses043.jpg

What a fantastic idea....and no time lags waiting for the next batch of tradies to come along and do their bit. I will certainly look at this for my one after the next project.

Hi Battle On,
The internal fittings look a million bucks!!

My concern is the quality of the wall construction - it looks a little caravan-ish. Does the manufacturer give any specs on the type of stud wall, sound/thermal insulation?

Cheers

Hi Battle On,
The internal fittings look a million bucks!!

My concern is the quality of the wall construction - it looks a little caravan-ish. Does the manufacturer give any specs on the type of stud wall, sound/thermal insulation?

Cheers

Hi vbplease,

The walls are made from steel studs and bracing which is a fairly commom build these days. Walls have sisalation around them then the required insulation. Insulated floor (R1.5), ceiling (R3.5), internal and external walls (R1.5). Colourbond roofing iron is then used as walls. All quite strong, weatherproof and insulated, certainly not the thin caravan sheeting they use.

This was the 3rd time it was lifted. Once out of the factory, once to be loaded on the truck and finally lifted in place and it only had a couple of hairline cracks in the plaster which are easily fixed.

Cheers back at ya!

I really like this!! Are you planning on putting a shade sail or structure over the decked area between the two "wings"?

Hi Wylie,

No plans for the front as yet but have started a large deck at the back and might do something there. If we were living in it we would, but if the tennant wants we could come to an arrangement.

Shall get some more pics when its finished.

williamhouse015a.jpg

Very cool ! i would love to have one as a weekender, but there is no way in hell the act government would allow one to be assembled in a suburban street especially in canberra :cool:

battle on
do you have any pics of the front
and it's been many months since your last post can you give us an update pls?

Here is a few more photos of the back deck and beginning of the fencing. also some from the front.

I just realised I dont have any finished photos so have sent the wife on a mission to take some this week. Hope to have them here soon.

Cheers

Attachments

• 027a.jpg
    027a.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 022a.jpg
    022a.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 018a.jpg
    018a.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 180
Back