Tenant's request

Hi all,

I have tenants who have been quite picky as to how they expect the house to be when they moved in (the house was completely renovated last year). They signed the lease as the house is but they are now requesting fly screens to be installed in the main bedroom. The old fly screens were removed when renovating because they were damaged and not practical to replace (the windows are the old small ones that open out). I normally like to keep tenants happy but I have said no to the PM and they have said the tenants are calling them every day about it! It's not a necessary cost but I'm not very good at saying no, as I understand it's nice to be comfortable in your home.

Would you say yes/no to this request? It's something that has always annoyed me about tenants requesting extra things when they have signed for the house as they see it! I can understand wanting flyscreens but there is flyscreens in every other part of the house.

Thanks! :)

Hi tarah,

I think it's completely up to you as it's your property!

However, I'm a bit of a softy & I would probably get the fly screens for them. How much would it cost?

If you do it for them, maybe it will lead to more requests for things or maybe it will lead to them settling down a bit & being happy...you just never know.

Regards,
M&M

Hi M&M,

Thanks. I think it will be a bit costly, as it will be a bit tricky to install them. I am a bit soft too because I always think how I would feel.

Thanks again :)

after feeling like I've almost been eaten alive by mozzies and scratching like a madman, I am at the moment feeling that the request is reasonable

For me, if the rest of the house is screened, I would screen the bedroom, for the cheapest price.

We don't have any screens, and have never had a tenant request them, but if they did, I'd suggest they buy a plug-in, like we use on the nights the mozzies are out.

For me, if the rest of the house is screened, I would screen the bedroom, for the cheapest price.

We don't have any screens, and have never had a tenant request them, but if they did, I'd suggest they buy a plug-in, like we use on the nights the mozzies are out.

Really ?!!! :eek: Every property I've ever lived in has had every window flyscreened. the only thign that let's mozzies in at my place now is the front screen door beign left open for the cat !

i'd put the screen in ... i like to have a window open in the bedroom at night during summer and the mozzies would drive me insane.

perhaps you can reply by giving permission for the tenants to install at their expense - but if you want it done properly then i'd suggest you do it.

i'd put the screen in ... i like to have a window open in the bedroom at night during summer and the mozzies would drive me insane.

perhaps you can reply by giving permission for the tenants to install at their expense - but if you want it done properly then i'd suggest you do it.

Yeah it would depend on the tenant whether I would suggest they install it - different people have differnt standards they think work should be done to !

I would have the PM have them detail any and ALL requests in one letter to be forwarded onto you for your comment.

Advise the PM you would like all the information in some fair detail i.e flyscreens to main bedroom not just flyscreens.

This way the tenant has one go at making a request and you can decide if their requests are reasonable.

In our PPOR we had fly screens, all is pristine condition.Lived there for 18 years.
We turned it into an IP and when the tenants left 15 months later, over half had to be replaced.
At our 11 unit family building, we have to replace between every tenant.

At our single family homes, we no longer replace them. the place is rented "as is".

You will need to decide if it is worth it.
If you want to say NO, inform your PM and say not to mention it again to you.

Why not see if they are willing to pay half and you pay the other half, the screens stay when they leave the property of course.

Cheaper for you, adds value, tenants get their screen and are more likely to stay longer since they have an investment in the property also.

Hi Tarah,

If you are going to go ahead get the PM to contact the tenants and let them know you are considering getting them installed and ask them to get at least two or three companies out to measure and quote the installation for you. If they want them then they can help out with the leg work.

Cheers,
Tracey

Call a local handyman who can do it for cash, no big deal really. Should be quite cheap.

I just replaced one of mine (did it myself) for about $35, large one too. Not saying to do it yourself, just saying that the parts are cheap and a local handyman that may be after a bit of work could knock one up in no time for a good price.

If this leads to many ongoing "optional" requests, then you wouldnt want the tenants to stay anyways & re-tenant the place when able to.

All the best

:D

Get a quote, divide it by 26 and say you'll install them subject to a rent increase of that amount. Then its paid back within 6 months. If they've just signed a lease then they're not going to agree to a rent increase and should just make do with what they've let.

Cheers,
Michael

there was a great response written somewhere on here which basically was basically a standard response to any tenant request i cant remember the exact wording but.

RE: <REQUEST>

Permission is given for the tenant to install xyz fitting/alteration at their cost pending submission of further detail (e.g. Size, installation method, material used).

This permission is granted on the understanding the tenant will either leave the fitting/alteration or make good any damage caused by this fitting/alteration to a professional standard.

For me, this comes down to expectations by the tenant that if every other room in the house has screens, why not the main bedroom?

Even if you don't wish to put them in (which is perfectly acceptable, as they rented it "as is"), I would think you may have the same issue with any future tenants.

In our houses, with no flyscreens at all, it has never been requested. If the request was made, our answer would be a "no".

I reckon its a fair request. I know tenants came be a pain at times, but sometimes we should do what is right. If you have the screens installed by a professional then at least the will be fitted properly.

Geez, ... the wife must have whacked me with the sympathy stick last night ... its not like me to vote for the tenant, ..... :p

Mystery

Hmm maybe they just want to be able to air and open their bedroom out and no screens means flies and mozzies~ I hate them!

Just explain why you took them out and youyr concerns putting them back in, maybe then if they still insist, they can do the leg work etc (as prior posts) and then pay for them, include them in exntry report and if they are damaged on exit then take it out of there bond. Tell them it will happen if they damage them as they are new etc. Might make them more weary of damaging them. And some tenants are really great people, if they were total bogans i would hesitate.....

Back