Target: $200k income in 12years! Possible?

Here are few of my questions based on this example.
Scenario 1 ("normal")
Would I buy this property in the first place?

Scenario 2 (NRAS)
Property: $350,000
Many openly add few Ks to that price to make it NRAS and pass on the cost.

Loan: $280,000 @ 80% LVR
Can we get at least 1 out of 4 major bank to value the property at 350K?

Interest costs pa: $19,600 @ 7% pa
Can one of the major bank give same discount as non-NRAS?

Other Costs: $2,000 pa
Also need to add the Audit fee of 6-10%. Say 8%.

Here is a simple calculation.
You get about $9981 NRAS credit.
Assuming 5% yield, we are losing about $3650 due to 20% rent reduction.
Audit fee, increased PM fees & what ever associated fees is say about $1250.

So that is about 5K left from NRAS credit. The question is.. is this worth the trouble?

Here's a better example.........

I forgo the the whole NRAS chasing a "tax incentive" thing and look for a better yield....
Ie. buy a CIP at 8-10+% yield.

It's all about cash-flow..... right? ;)

That yield will be taxable. You'll enjoy no tax benefits and no tax free surplus income.

Good to see you deleted your little dummy spit Euro. Hope you don't insult all your clients that question you.

Locko, its probably best we cease this intercourse. You asked an insulting question implying I couldnt explain myself in person or in writing, when I had offered a clear and constructive solution to the OP which you can quite easily confirm with a calculator, a pen, some paper and a little less guessing (20% property management fee???) But if you believe you can deliver a strategy that provides for a 12 property portfolio and that sort of income in 15 years, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how that can be done.

cheers euro - thats how i initially thought it worked, before i read that link on the ATO site, which thoroughly confused me =)

edit: - out of interest, how many NRAS properties do you own? (if you dont mind me asking)

I have one PPOR and 5 investment properties. 2 are NRAS. I intend to purchase 2 more NRAS in the next few months and get rid of my PPOR mortgage inside 10 years. But I didnt have 700K of equity with which to get started... and NRAS wasnt around when I purchased the first 3 ... they are all just nudging CF neutral/positive now and still have a little decent depreciation sitting on them so they arent costing me anything to hold. I'll sell them in the next 2-3 years when the depreciation starts to fade and replace them with 3 more NRAS.

Last edited:
This is from the report:
Low: 235K
Mid: 272.5K
High: 310K
I mentioned the figure 275K which was above mid!

Having said that I agree with the value around 300K mark but my point is that the seller couldn't provide anything to justify the 320K. That is my 'continued comments'.

On a separate matter, if we are getting 80% of the rent then won't the bank value the property at 80%??

You can't compare ATO to a privately owned consortium. If the PM or insurer goes under then I can simply change them. Can we still get the NRAS credit if the consortium goes under?

I said "Most benefits are eaten up by" NOT 'all'. My 'most' includes 20% rent reduction + 8% annual fees + 2% extra PM fees + additional NRAS compliance fees + what we don't know about.

I'm still waiting for one of the broker to agree with this. Can we get similar discounts with major 4 banks for NRAS properties?

The consortium is simply an Approved Participant for the scheme. Should one cease operations, another will take over the administration of the NRAS on the property.

The word "most" would imply more than 50%. You are paying 8% of $9981 as a consortium fee, and getting a percentage of that back as a deduction through tax. So in real terms you're paying about 5% of almost 10K. That leaves you with 95% of the incentive tax free, in your pocket, as well as enjoying larger deductions against taxable income.

Any basic side by side comparison will tell you that a 20% reduction in (taxable) rental income and a 5% (tax deductible) fee from $9981 does not add up to "MOST". If the property sees you 6K CF+ instead of 2-3K CF-( for non NRAS on an equivilent "like for like" basis) ... thats 8-9K of additional money available to you each year for the next ten years, to pay down your PPOR with. It is "worth" more than 8-9K because its tax free money. Secondly, it has a compounding effect because extra repayments save and interest over time.

So one might argue that the 6K CF+ per year is worth a whole lot more than 6K , correct?

But if people wish to invest in loss making negatively geared property and hope for growth that will match the mathematical outcomes of NRAS over 10 years, thats fine. But you'll need to achieve a minimum of 5.5% compounding growth year on year for 10 years just to match an NRAS property that shows ZERO growth. If the NRAS property also shows growth, the loss making non NRAS property will have to provide 5.5% growth PLUS the growth from the NRAS property, just to match the outcome over 10 years- with the one big dfference being that the non NRAS investor will have made very little impact on their PPOR debt during that time., but the NRAS investor will be almost debt free and have the equity available to go again and again and again...

In the end, 10K of tax free money per year for 10 years can be turned into alot more than just 100K over 10 years.

The ONLY major bank that doesnt support NRAS is CBA. These banks DO support NRAS;
ANZ
NAB
WESTPAC
STG
RAMS
BOQ
ME BANK
ADELAIDE BANK
RESIMAC
FIRSTMAC
BANK OF MELBOURNE
BANK SA
WIDE BAY
THE ROCK
LIBERTY

If your broker doesnt know this- change brokers, because yours is obviously not reading his emails or paying attention in PD days. These lenders have been freely lending to NRAS for months in some cases, but for over 2 years in most cases. Except for firstmac, all these lenders offer absolutely standard lending products for NRAS, which means all usual fixed rates and discounts can be accessed. This has been the case for quite some time- at least 2 years.

Here are few of my questions based on this example.

Would I buy this property in the first place?

Scenario 2 (NRAS)

Many openly add few Ks to that price to make it NRAS and pass on the cost.

Can we get at least 1 out of 4 major bank to value the property at 350K?

Can one of the major bank give same discount as non-NRAS?

Also need to add the Audit fee of 6-10%. Say 8%.

Here is a simple calculation.
You get about $9981 NRAS credit.
Assuming 5% yield, we are losing about $3650 due to 20% rent reduction.
Audit fee, increased PM fees & what ever associated fees is say about $1250.

So that is about 5K left from NRAS credit. The question is.. is this worth the trouble?

only you can decide that, but if you dont see value in zero out of pocket holding costs, extra tax concessions and extra tax free income for 10 years... not sure what might might you happy? :)

As Ive said, banks dont do valuations - valuers do. Banks just order them. ANZ uses Opteon and they are valuing the development you have raised , at contract price.

Im not sure what else to tell you to address your concerns; Ive seen the valuations not the "guesstimate" document you have seen. I've demonstrated the superior tax benefits and cash flow and debt reduction that can be achieved. But if its not for you, its not for you. :)

Interesting question! We often discuss that residential property is not valued on yield (remember georgie1's thread?) because so much of it is traded by home owners. But in the case of NRAS, isn't it the case that it must remain in the NRAS scheme? So by definition, it can't be sold to home owners? (Or is that a subtle point that I've missed?)

No it doesnt need to stay in the scheme. The scheme is voluntary. If you purchase a property which has been approved for NRAS and decide to live in it you can. No problem. if you decide youd rather rent it at full freight and forego the tax incentives, fine also. If you decide to sell it, fine. The new buyer can choose to participate in the scheme for the remaining years or not. All fine. Not sure where people have developed these ideas of 10 years locked in, or social housing etc... just flat out not accurate :)

NRAS is simply a tax incentive-- that is where it begins and where it ends. Just like any other investment property that is rented should not be valued any more or less than a neighbouring property that is owner occupied?, nor should NRAS approved properties.

Originally Posted by locko24
So if i look for a rental manager who charges 20%, i'd be better off than one who charges 5%? That's tax deductable.

Can you provide an example?

I dont understand where you are getting a 20% rental management fee from? Property management Fees for NRAS are around 6-8% and are deductible.

But here's a very simple example.

350K property. Normal Market rent of $350 per week - discounted to 280 per week under NRAS. Im forfeiting 80 per week, or $4160 per year, and Im getting $9981 back, tax free, PLUS a refund from the ATO for a percentage of the $4160 in losses from the reduced rental income.

I'm playing catch up on the thread, but I think you missed the point of Locko's query Euro :confused:

Here's a better example.........

I forgo the the whole NRAS chasing a "tax incentive" thing and look for a better yield....
Ie. buy a CIP at 8-10+% yield.

It's all about cash-flow..... right? ;)
That yield will be taxable. You'll enjoy no tax benefits and no tax free surplus income.

LOL.... so by your logic, I should sell my +CF CIP because the cash-flow is not "tax-free"? Even though the CIP will generate an income regardless of a "temporary" tax incentive? (Ie. NRAS has a 10 yr shelf life.....) Even though the after tax CIP income is greater than the NRAS income?

Nope, sorry..... I just don't get the logic or lack thereof.

LOL.... so by your logic, I should sell my +CF CIP because the cash-flow is not "tax-free"? Even though the CIP will generate an income regardless of a "temporary" tax incentive? (Ie. NRAS has a 10 yr shelf life.....) Even though the after tax CIP income is greater than the NRAS income?

Nope, sorry..... I just don't get the logic or lack thereof.

Might not be comparing apples with apples. You may not leverage CIPs to 80-90%. Loan rates are higher.

Euro73's posts are valuable to people who are still expanding their asset base but are having issues with servicibility or entry levels to decent income assets.

At 300K there isn't CIPs worthwhile. Even with the OP's equity position, it would still be difficult to achieve the 200K pa end goal with high yielding CIPs alone. Possible but difficult.

So if you generate 8% taxable, and your marginal tax rate is 32.5% plus medicare, you are actually generating 5.4% after tax. Or on a MTR of 37% plus 1.5% medicare, you generate 4.92% after tax

If you generate 10% taxable, and your marginal tax rate is 32.5% plus medicare, you are really generating 6.75% after tax. On 38.5% you generate 6.15% after tax.

If your NRAS property generates 8%, it generates 8% tax free.

These comparisons will vary from property to property, depending on individual market rentals , interest rates, loan structures, associated ownership costs and so on. For example, I'm aware of a property available under NRAS in Roma that generates 23K CF+ on a 720K spend at 34% MTR, or almost 25K CF+ on 38.5% MTR, and Im aware of other property under NRAS that might be lucky to generate 5K CF+.

No one is suggesting that a highly CF+ property outside of NRAS is in any way inferior. Im only saying that NRAS produces these results across most property in the 300-400K range more readily, whilst also offering maximum tax effectiveness. For someone looking to grow an asset base aggressively using gearing to 80%, and requiring banks and their servicing calculators to achieve it, having Cash Flow positive property without heavy deductions will make it pretty rough going unless the investor has an enormous income. This is a very different world to the pre GFC world from that perspective. The days of LOC's and cash out and do as you please, and re - gearing against ever increasing equity are well and truly behind us.

Firstly, the growth just isnt there to get the job done from an equity position - not if you want to get to 10 or 12 properties in 10 years. Secondly, most lenders calculators are punitive towards borrowers with heavy reliance on rental income. Only one or two allow you to use 100% of rental income. And there's only so far you can get with one or two lenders. The majority work on 80% of rental and of those, only a handful allow neg gearing addbacks , and even fewer of those take actual repayments on your existing debt. You just wont be able to get the borrowing capacity without using NRAS, and specifically Adelaide bank or firstmac, who use everything possible for investors - actual repayments on all existing debt, 80% market rent , 100% of neg gearing addbacks, and 80% of the NRAS tax incentives as tax free additional income.

Otherwise, what happens when you run out of puff with the lenders using a CF+ strategy? How does the 8-10% CF+ taxable strategy get you past that point?

Plenty of people have built portfolio's pre GFC using expansive and accommodating lenders, but I wouldn't think the strategy would be anywhere near as achievable or effective if starting from scratch today, unless you have a giant income to do the heavy lifting. Those brokers on here with good knowledge of lending capacity formula's will tell you that its tougher going these days. Equity is not enough to get the job done. Cash Flow is not enough to get the job done beyond a certain point. You need to be able to squeeze the borrowing capacity from the right lenders, at the right time in the strategy.

The original post was, how do I turn 700K of equity into 200K tax free income in 12 years? Whether people have a personal appetite for NRAS or not isn't of importance. For some people, their portfolio or ambitions don't require it. They may have achieved fantastic growth in the past 15 years and have re-leveraged that to grow. But its just not there today. What's of importance is that I have proposed a solution for a forum member who does require NRAS for the borrowing capacity; it's a solution that does not rely on growth or finding 8-10% regional CF+ property, can be easily proven mathematically, can be funded using the lending strategies discussed, and no one else has been prepared to do the same.

Put an alternative on the table. Map it out. Cater for all borrowing capacity challenges in building a multi million dollar, multi property portfolio in a post GFC lending environment. Cater for locations where 90% LVR can be used if required. Demonstrate how the strategy can deliver what I have demonstrated point by point that NRAS can deliver for the OP. Could be a very worthwhile alternative option for the OP if it can be done.

Last edited:

But if people wish to invest in loss making negatively geared property and hope for growth that will match the mathematical outcomes of NRAS over 10 years, thats fine. But you'll need to achieve a minimum of 5.5% compounding growth year on year for 10 years just to match an NRAS property that shows ZERO growth. If the NRAS property also shows growth, the loss making non NRAS property will have to provide 5.5% growth PLUS the growth from the NRAS property, just to match the outcome over 10 years- with the one big dfference being that the non NRAS investor will have made very little impact on their PPOR debt during that time., but the NRAS investor will be almost debt free and have the equity available to go again and again and again...

In the end, 10K of tax free money per year for 10 years can be turned into alot more than just 100K over 10 years.

That is quite simply, misleading. You are not really getting $10K per year "comparatively speaking" because you also need to account for getting only 80% rental income.... If you want to compare apples, then let's have at it, and discard your oranges... ;)

As for the focus on growth & the -ve geared assumption, this not necessarily representative of the differing perspectives being offered in this thread, IMO. What is being said is that an alternative POV is to consider enduring CASHFLOW, not just equity or CG or "limited tenure" tax incentives.

The goal is to generate $200K in enduring Cashflow. Not grow some ridiculously large equity position. Sure, equity becomes the capital that generates the cashflow however, the amount of equity, whether it grows etc... is not necessarily the focus. (note: capital protection is importnt) Enduring Cashflow is the focus.... what happens after 10yrs when your NRAS "tax free" payment stops? What then? Sure, NRAS is a useful tool to get to an enduring financial position, but it has a shelf life & is not the enduring solution in & of itself.... Finding a structure to provide an enduring cashflow is just as important as the journey to get there in the first place and it just might be possible for the journey & destination to be the same. Ie. high yielding assets that don't rely on temporary government incentives that can be held indefinitely and whose yield in not dependent on CG.

That is the alternate perspective being presented IMHO.

FWIW, I think NRAS is a useful tool, but there are better yielding assets out there....

That is quite simply, misleading. You are not really getting $10K per year "comparatively speaking" because you also need to account for getting only 80% rental income.... If you want to compare apples, then let's have at it, and discard your oranges... ;)

As for the focus on growth & the -ve geared assumption, this not necessarily representative of the differing perspectives being offered in this thread, IMO. What is being said is that an alternative POV is to consider enduring CASHFLOW, not just equity or CG or "limited tenure" tax incentives.

The goal is to generate $200K in enduring Cashflow. Not grow some ridiculously large equity position. Sure, equity becomes the capital that generates the cashflow however, the amount of equity, whether it grows etc... is not necessarily the focus. (note: capital protection is importnt) Enduring Cashflow is the focus.... what happens after 10yrs when your NRAS "tax free" payment stops? What then? Sure, NRAS is a useful tool to get to an enduring financial position, but it has a shelf life & is not the enduring solution in & of itself.... Finding a structure to provide an enduring cashflow is just as important as the journey to get there in the first place and it just might be possible for the journey & destination to be the same. Ie. high yielding assets that don't rely on temporary government incentives that can be held indefinitely and whose yield in not dependent on CG.

That is the alternate perspective being presented IMHO.

FWIW, I think NRAS is a useful tool, but there are better yielding assets out there....

woh. Slow down there cowboy. I absolutely accounted for the reduced rent. Read the post again. I have not been at all misleading. I use a figure of 6-8K CF+ in every post I write about NRAS, when discussing the net result. I do not use a figure of 10K in that context and never have. You can check as many posts as you like and you will find I am absolutely consistent with the maths. So I reject your accusation completely.

What I did say ( and was correct in saying) is that you will receive 10K in tax free incentives per annum (well, $9981 and increasing so far at increments of 5.69% since 2008) for a period of 10 years, for each NRAS approved property that you own and enter into the scheme, and it can turned into much much more.

And please note that in my modeling I have not accounted for the annual increments to the incentive, which have averaged 5.69% since the scheme was introduced in 2008. I have not factored in the increases in any way. So in fact, I have quite deliberately understated the cash flow outcome per NRAS property per year, for years 2 through 10, and the subsequent additional debt reduction that will facilitate across the 15 year timeline of my proposal. Hardly misleading.

I think you would have to agree that because I have used figures of 100K per property instead of the more likely figure of 125K per property, across 12 properties and across 15 years, I have kept well over 300K of tax free money out of the cash flow equation which I could quite justifiably have included.

Anyway, to answer your query- What happens after 10 years is this; the property reverts to normal market rent and I stop getting NRAS incentives. The result= If market rent on a 350K property started at $350 per week in Year 1 and increased 4% each year, when the NRAS roles off after year 10 the rent would revert to $518 per week. I would have 280K of debt still secured against that property. i.e 80% of the original 350K purchase price- Ive already accounted for paying down the 20% deposit that was provided from the 560K from my PPOR ( twice) if you review what Ive mapped out.

That provides me with a return of $26,936 against 280K of debt, or a yield of 9.62%, from year 11

If I had achieved 5% rental increases I'd roll out of NRAS at $570 per week, or $29,640 per annum, for a yield of 10.58%

If I had achieved 6% rental increase I'd roll out of NRAS at almost $627 per week, or $32,604, for a yield of 11.64%

This is enduring cashflow from year 11 onwards for the 6 ex NRAS properties from the first "batch" as outlined in my proposal. So on the first batch of 6, I'd be generating between $161,616 and $195,624 in income by year 11, and 2 of them carry no debt.

By the time the second "batch" of 6 NRAS rolled out of NRAS, the first 6 would have been with you for 15 years, and 2nd 6 for 10 years. You'd have 12 ex NRAS properties generating the following;

at 4% rental growth - $630.32 p/week or $32,776.65 each (x 12) 11.70% yield
at 5% - $727.62 p/week, or $37,836.24 each (x12) 13.51% yield
at 6% - $838.80 p/week or $43,617.60 each (x 12) 15.57% yield

So now I'd be generating between $393,319.80 and $523,411.20 in rent. I'd still have 2.8 Mil in debt (280K x 10 properties) so you may be right- the OP need not necessarily keep them if he doesnt want to. he would have at least $8.4 million in Investment property assets if we allow for a 350K increase in the value of the property over 15 years, so could easily sell 5 of them ( 700K each ) pay off the remaining debt and his CGT bill and that would leave him with 7 properties generating between $229,436.55 and $305,323.20 in enduring taxable income, but with very minimal deductions to offset against.

I still believe my proposal delivers a fantastic outcome - even retaining the debt, he will earn between $393,319.80 and $523,411.20 gross. And interest on the debt ( lets assume 2.8 mil x 7% - 224,000) may actually help, as it can offset some of the enormous income being generated by the properties as outlined above.

So yes, I agree its not about assets. But he wont get to where he wants to get (income wise) without building them, because they are what generate the income. And he wont get the assets built up without the NRAS cash flow and the right bank calcs.- not unless he earns hundreds of thousands. And your CF+ strategy wont get him there because you will run out of borrowing capacity well before the end goal is reached.

Unfortunately you still havent been able to demonstrate with numbers, how you can generate the income I have been able to demonstrate for the OP, without using NRAS.

I believe in numbers to make a case and I have produced them. I've taken 560K of equity and mapped out a simple an clear strategy that produces over $8.4 million in assets ( at least 5.8 million if and when debt has been paid down) with no out of pocket costs, in 15 years. Ive done it with a very conservative understatement of the NRAS cash flow. Ive done it working on extremely conservative Capital growth assumptions. But I have still mapped out a phenomenal return on investment in 15 years. My strategy also left an enduring income well above what the OP wants. You have not produced any numbers whatsoever to support your arguments, so we have probably exhausted the discussion at this point.

Please, before you ever accuse me of being misleading....

Last edited:
woh. Slow down there cowboy. I absolutely accounted for the reduced rent. Read the post again. I have not been at all misleading. I use a figure of 6-8K CF+ in every post I write about NRAS, when discussing the net result. I do not use a figure of 10K in that context and never have. You can check as many posts as you like and you will find I am absolutely consistent with the maths. So I reject your accusation completely.

Yeah you did:

Not trying to derail the thread or start a keyboard war.... but that statement was not explicitly made in the context of receiving 20% reduced rent which actually reduces your "tax free" sum substantially & is therefore NOT available to you, as some of it is gobbled up by the otherwise poor yield (you, know, the reduced rent thing)

Hence, in the context of CASHFLOW, you don't really have $10K left over now, do you..... :cool: That is all I was saying & it is true.

Mate we will have to agree to disagree, as you're being pedantic and are misrepresenting my comments. Further, you are still unable to offer an alternative with any numbers or any sort of plan regarding how to arrive at the OP's desired outcome. This isn't helpful at this stage. We've both expressed an opinion and appear to be at cross purposes at this stage.

I expect robust debate of course, but one of us is presenting a plan to address the OP's query, and it is a plan that can be proven out, while the other of us is presenting a critique without offering an alternative.

Back