SUNSHINERS/ Coloundra/ Bellvista / Beerwah

I have a contractor that does my landscaping/turf /retaining walls etc.
He has just completed a house land package at Bellvista in Coloundra. I was up there a couple of months ago and really feel the martket is heading south.
There appeared to be a lot of properties coming up to completion. But also many new spec homes for sale as well as a number for sale or rent.
From just a quick drive by it did not look good. I really do not know the market.
But it appeared to be like my local area about 12 to 18 mths ago.
Any opinions from Sunshine Coast Forumites?

Also he was looking to Beerwah, But in my opinion from a simple drive bye it appeared the same. Lots 4 sale or rent. Supply/Demand??

I do not know but Maroochadore just feels a better area?

Fill me in Baby!!

Beerwah as I see it, is currently stable. A LOT of development has occurred and there are many many houses for sale. This means discounting...my sister just sold her house in Beerwah and they had to settle for a massive discount, in the order of 14% to get rid of it.

I was up there a couple of months ago and really feel the market is heading south.

There appeared to be a lot of properties coming up to completion. But also many new spec homes for sale as well as a number for sale or rent.

I do not know but Maroochadore just feels a better area?
I have nearly finished building at Kawana Forest (North of Bell Vista). After speaking with a few agents, it is currently a quieter time of the year for the Sunshine Coast. A few agents have advised me that the busiest months are November-February for the Sunshine Coast. This is because people usually want to start their kids up in the new school year.

Stockland are releasing a new estate called Brightwater (East of Mooloolaba) in the next few weeks. It is priced from $187k.

Chardan will begin releasing Sunshine Cove at Maroochydore early next year.

By the way, would you recommend the guy to do the turf/ landscaping? I will be needing to do it in the next month or so...

There are truck loads of land to be released in West Caloundra area so try to stay as close to water side as possible and as Sunshine suggested, you can't go wrong in Maroochydore or anywhere north of that. There are pockets yet to be released but not mass sub-divisions. Nothing east of David Low Way anyway. Snare one of them and you'll be right. Blocks is not your problem. $200k is cheap. Its the construction and holding cost that will blow you out of the water. Raw materials have gone through the roof. Unless you have an ocean side block and planning on architect designed home, I wouldn't bother doing speccy H&L in any of the estates which don't really differentiate between one another - no matter how much colour you try to put on each.

Better off finding a newly constructed home and screw the vendor for a good price. You will still have the 6 month building maintenance warranties and theres no holding costs plus you save truckloads on panadine forte cos you're not going through the building process.

By the way, would you recommend the guy to do the turf/ landscaping? I will be needing to do it in the next month or so...

Who did you build with? Call the super, he'll have some guys whom he deals with. Landscape and fencing guys are certainly busy. Been trying to get quotes for months now.

Thanks to all for the info.
The landscaper/turfer does a great job. However he may charge a bit if he clocks on in Wollongong. (The area he does work for me )
He actually was having trouble getting quotes for the house he built and is pretty fussy guy. Eventually he just flew up for a couple of weeks and made a working holiday of it.

I still do not know if he has sold the home. When I was there it just felt oversupplied with the same product. And some that looked like they had been finished for a while had To Let signs going up.:eek:

Gee Cee

Greg

You go back a year ago and agents up there were charging top dollar for properties.

I'm heading up today for a look at a few things.

Must say one downside is the rates bills are extortionate as compared to Brisbane.

any idea of prices at this stage? i've registered my interest for the first release.
I have also registered my interest but haven't heard anything in regard to price... all I got was a Christmas card last December:D

Does have potential, especially if they bring the rail link from Beerwah to Maroochydore via Caloundra (? onto Noosa). They have land on the Horton Park golf course (which has been sold to Babcock & Brown) to use for a train station... watch this space but not expected until around 2020.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Hom...oundra_south_rail_corridor_realignment_study/

Greg, I won't bother about getting your landscaper from Wollongong!

Last edited:
Hi

Went up today

Caloundra is Caloundra. Slow and sleepy during the week. shops shut at 5.

That being said, LOTS of stock in units - most need to get totally renovated in order to be sold. A few pending developments. houses getting reno'd and rebuilt everywhere.
But still stock kicking around.

Didnt get a chance to get up to Kawana and the surrounds.

Still, every time I go up still cant help but think about selling up and moving there full time.

may i suggest mallolabah ?, the council has done an awsome job, maintaining the strip, and those mil properties, in or around kawanna waters facing the moorings,the thing we like so much is that we can walk and brouse till late along the shop fronts, and almost every cafe is water front,the town has great employment opps ie fishing fleat, all of the ship pilots, and the other tourist $$, went to miami, and sorounds, bit cheap and needed a car for almost every dinner, noosa, was very nice 10 yr ago now hastings st gets 1 hour of sunshine, maroochydore, good in peak, but not other times,bit scary!,coloundra was just like our new burbs heat in the act, and goes on and on, just my view!

Still, every time I go up still cant help but think about selling up and moving there full time.
This is the reason I said that November-February is the peak time for the rental market; people do just this! Coming from Sydney, it actually took me 2 years to slow down and settle into the pace of life up here. Now that I have, I wouldn't go back.

may i suggest mallolabah ?, the council has done an awsome job, maintaining the strip, and those mil properties, in or around kawanna waters facing the moorings,the thing we like so much is that we can walk and brouse till late along the shop fronts, and almost every cafe is water front,
The Caloundra, Maroochy and Noosa councils have recently amalgamated up here to form The Sunshine Coast Regional Council. There are plans in place to develop The Spit end of Mooloolaba but they haven't been released yet.

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/feb/04/kept-dark/

New house for $310k for sale last year

There was a house in one of the West Caloundra estates (not Bellvista) to be purchased (to be constructed) for sale for $310,000 in June 2007. It was the cheapest of the new homes available. There were others available for $340k+ The agent said to me, "buy this, once it is complete it will be worth $350,000." I didnt really believe her because I was afraid of new developments away from the water.
I should have bought that because I dont see any new homes under $400k in West Caloundra now. Things may have slowed but certainly anyone who bought a house there a year ago would still have made money.

I have also registered my interest but haven't heard anything in regard to price... all I got was a Christmas card last December:D

if anyone gets info about prices or releases - could they bump the thread (if they remember) - just in case. thanks in advance

Rail line into Caloundra

I think something else to be considered about West Caloundra is that they are proposing to put a rail line in there from Beerwah that will go all the way to Maroochydore.
I know this has been on the cards for a while but it appears in map books as a proposed rail line and also on Council train maps. I think 2018 or something may be the timeframe.
So that would help your returns.
I am off to Caloundra today for a play in the surf.:) I used to live there it is really nice.

i received the glossy brochure the other day, but with a personal letter answering all the questions i asked in the "register interest" email.

they are not expecting fist stage of land release until later 2008, and have no pricing schedule as yet ... will keep an eye out.

i'm also watching this one, which isn't due for release until later this year, and another year or so for the build.

http://spencerquays.com.au/about.asp

i'm not sure, but in the currently market i am currently liking the idea of small holding deposit and no settlement for 2 (or so) years - by which time this credit crisis should be a distant memory and gives me plenty of time to save a decent deposit if we end up holding.

Back