Strong Growth in Brisbane

But if the cost of buying gets close enough to the cost of renting, there is no reason not to buy.

And on the outskirts of Brisbane that gap is not huge.

Yes , its all cyclical. Its been happening for the past 40 years I know of..its what keeps the market trending up long term.

Hi Andrew,

I am currently living in Brisbane Northside (Bald Hills) and am getting married in October, with my future wife moving down here around then (we are both from Melbourne originally).

We are thinking about buying something small and cheap on the North side to live in.

I work at Lawnton and would prefer not to drive more than 20 minutes to get to work.

What is your opinion on Bald Hills/Aspley even maybe Chermside? Is it worth looking at some of the <350,000 houses on offer? We might be moving back to Melbourne in 2/3 years time, so I am looking for a property that can become cashflow positive (or very close) in that time frame.

Regards
According to RP data there were 4 sales in Aspley and 15 in Bald Hills for houses 350k and under this calendar year, the data isn't perfect but obviously there are choices in this price range if you are prepared to take on a project.

A graph of the rolling three year returns for Brisbane since 1982. The current market is the only time we have recorded -ve 3yr growth figures. Data till May 2011.

Attachments

• rollingreturns.jpg
    rollingreturns.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 285
Current till 30/6/2011

Brisbane house median: $441,000
Brisbane unit median: $360,000

Attachments

• brisbane house prices June 2011.jpg
    brisbane house prices June 2011.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 180
buying an new house and land package near ipswich for 350k or a 5 to 10 year old one for around 300k.

What would you do ?
:confused:

Please provide some more details about the location if you don't mind so I can provide some feedback. There is some great value in Ipswich at the moment. There are also fairly low vacancy rates as well.

The latest Brisbane price data current till 31/7/2011

The Brisbane house median price is $436,500
The Brisbane unit median price is $358,500

Since the peak in 2010 the Brisbane house median price has fallen 8.12%

Attachments

• brisbane house prices 0711.jpg
    brisbane house prices 0711.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 140
Northgate airport noise

Hi Andrew you say Northgate is not a problem for airport noise but does that comment factor in the 2nd runway which could make it a problem in the future?

Hi Andrew,

I am currently living in Brisbane Northside (Bald Hills) and am getting married in October, with my future wife moving down here around then (we are both from Melbourne originally).

We are thinking about buying something small and cheap on the North side to live in.

I work at Lawnton and would prefer not to drive more than 20 minutes to get to work.

What is your opinion on Bald Hills/Aspley even maybe Chermside? Is it worth looking at some of the <350,000 houses on offer? We might be moving back to Melbourne in 2/3 years time, so I am looking for a property that can become cashflow positive (or very close) in that time frame.

Regards
why north? dont like anything south? gympie road vs m1 should be a clincher, unless you are prepared to pay 4.40 each way everyday to avoid the traffic

VDK, have you considered a place in Bray Park or somewhere else nearer to Lawnton than Aspley? I know it has a reputation, I used to live there myself, but so do Ipswich and Logan and the gurus on SS love investing in low socio-economic suburbs outside the metropolitan area. There are some lovely family-friendly homes all through Strathpine and Bray Park. The joy of driving to work in five minutes compared to slogging it out on Gympie Rd is priceless.

The latest Brisbane price data current till 31/8/2011

The Brisbane house median price is $432,500
The Brisbane unit median price is $352,500

Since the peak in 2010 the Brisbane house median price has fallen 9.01%

Attachments

• brisbane10oct.jpg
    brisbane10oct.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 200
RP Data Rismark rolling qtrly change - Brisbane homes - to end of August 2011. Mr Lawless believes the lessening August decline was helped by more activity from those seeking to avoid the stamp duty increases.
rolling-qtrly-chane-in-bris-dwelling-values-580x218.jpg

ABS to end of June Qtr 2011
ABSBrisHousePriceIndexQtrlychangesa.gif

Residex to end of August 2011
ResidexBneHomesQtrlychangesa.gif

The latest Brisbane price data current till 30/9/2011

The Brisbane house median price is $438,392
The Brisbane unit median price is $355,715

Brisbane records it’s first significant monthly increase since May 2010.

Attachments

• brisbane11nov.jpg
    brisbane11nov.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 164
From my personal observations from looking at property on the GC and Brisbane Northside:

Brisbane Northside:

Sub 600k is moving well.

Sub 800k toddling along.

Over 1m is at a stalemate. Buyers are back to 2004 prices, vendors are still stuck at 2007 prices. Nothing happening, zero sales. Not unusual for an auction to pass in 300k below the asking price.

Gold Coast:

Sub 500k dunno.

500k - 600k knock 100k off the 2007 price.

600k - 800k - knock 150k off the 2007 price.

Over 1m canal frontage - take the 2007 price and knock off 50%.

More comedy at auction this morning. 30 people at the auction. Opening bid of $1million. Vendor bid of $1.4 million. Silence. Passed in at $1.4 million.

More comedy at auction this morning. 30 people at the auction. Opening bid of $1million. Vendor bid of $1.4 million. Silence. Passed in at $1.4 million.
And the reporting in the newspaper will be passed in at 1.4 million of course and not 'no serious bids!' :)

Anyone who bought a $1+m property in Brisbane in the last 4 years and HAS to sell now is most worthy of taking a damned good bath.

Back