Spam

I have received an (in my oppinion) article of spam. The disconcerting thing is that it is addressed to my SS logon and sent to my private email address. This could mean that somebody at SS have devulged what should be confidential info about me or maybe somebody hacked the info and sold or passed it to these people.

This is what I received:-

Home | About Us | Testimonials | GOLD MEMBERSHIP | FAQs | Contact

Please do not reply back to this email as we will not get it. Contact us here. Should you no longer wish to receive our Tips, please follow the unsubscribe prompts below - Thank You!

Cashflow Capital have a special thankyou for you!

How does Free Property Management Sound?

Dear notool8, (Note the salutation!!!!!!):confused::confused:

In conjunction with Your Community Realty, we have organised an incredible deal. Have a read of the offer below:

Your Community Realty Pty Ltd
Giving Back To Your Community

As you are well aware rising interest ................................:eek::eek:

I have had a previous unfortunate experience with these people and will have nothing to do with Mr Kladis nor would I reccommend anyone to them.

Has anyone else received this??

Moderators......please put my mind at rest.

Cheers Chrisv.

Never received any spam addressed to 'steveadl' in my email.

I get hundreds a week, but that's because my business email is listed on the web, and it's a different address to my SS account.

I do recall receiving an email that offered the "free property management" from an outfit that I did not recognise. To be honest ....I just deleted it without taking notice as to whom it was addressed. Sorry NOTOOL8 . I'll keep an eye out .

LL

There is no way for anyone to get your email address directly from the forum unless you explicitly give it to them ... or to anyone else!!

If you have ever emailed someone via the forum, the recipient of your email will see your email address. That may be how your email address got released "into the wild". That might also explain how your username got associated with it.

There are quite a few possible explanations.

I would be interested to see the full header information from the email you received to identify where the email came from and how it was addressed to you.

Hi Sim,

I would be happy to forward it to you. Could you let me have an address or explain how I could attach it to a PM or SS email system.

Cheers Chrisv

Cashflow Capital

Hi NOTOOL8,

Just letting you know that the email you received was sent out to our fully subscribed database. So your username/email has at sometime been manually/humanly added to our Cashflow Capital mailing list. We respect all of our clients/mailinglist's privacy and would never SPAM. We dont need to we have 16000 members subscribed to our database - that keeps us busy enough as is. :)

We have 3 mailing lists.

1. Regular property alerts. (sent 4 or 5 times a week - your username/email was already unsubscribed from this list )

2. Overseas property alert. (dont use anymore - your username/email was already unsubscribed from this list)

3. Cashflow Capital Tips List (sent about 6 times a year - your username/email was still subscribed to this list)

This email wasnt even really selling anything. It was a Free Property Management offer by one of our partners that we setup to help anyone who was financially struggling with the rises in interest rates etc.

All of our emails/alerts/tips have unsubscribe links on them. It could be possible you have unsubscribed from the Overseas, and Australian Alerts but not the Tips list?

I have myself, personally removed your details from all of our mailing lists as of now though. So you wont get anything from us.

I can confirm that Somersoft has definitely not given us anyones email address and no other entity has sold us any mailinglist for Somersoft or any other mass mailing list for that matter.

It looks like yourself or someone has created the original membership with us. I have full details being username, firstname, surname, address and even a mobile phone number. (You can ring me on the contact number below if you want to check details further and see how it was setup)

Now in terms of having an "unfortunate experience" with CashflowCapital and not recommending us, thats fine, but according to our records you have never been a client for any of our services? So not sure how you can say that if you have never used us? I know we do annoy people as we dont divulge locations of the properties, but we are Buyers Agents, so we have to protect the interests of people who are actually using our services to source them a property.

As far as I know we havent had anyone unhappy with our services. On the rare event we have, we have sorted it out at the time. We are in the industry to make a difference, not to make enemies.

Anyway, if you have a legitimate gripe, then please do let me know and I can look at reimbursing you if you are not satisfied with any of our services. Contact me directly please. Dont use this forum though as I may not get to see it. Plus Somersoft has absolutely nothing to do with this as outlined above.

Have a nice day.

Technical Director
Alan Johnstron
Ph: 1300 880 520
CashflowCapital.com.au

Last edited:
Dont use the unsubscribe link
Confirmation of spammable address
add sender to blocked list, ignore

rapid post from the source(?) even to establishing an account to do so
suggest a very close monitoring of where the name appears in posts.
Not good signs.

Alan

If you have three active lists, I would suggest that you have a link to unsubscribe from all lists in one go.

If I receive a lot of emails from [email protected] I would probably not know that there is more than one list, presumably coming from the same source.

Notool8, you have said that you have had an experience with this company- but you have also said that
somebody at SS have devulged what should be confidential info about me
That appears to be a small contradiction?

Hi NOTOOL8,

Just letting you know that the email you received was sent out to our fully subscribed database. So your username/email has at sometime been manually/humanly added to our Cashflow Capital mailing list. We respect all of our clients/mailinglist's privacy and would never SPAM. We dont need to we have 16000 members subscribed to our database - that keeps us busy enough as is. :)

We have 3 mailing lists.

1. Regular property alerts. (sent 4 or 5 times a week - your username/email was already unsubscribed from this list )

2. Overseas property alert. (dont use anymore - your username/email was already unsubscribed from this list)

3. Cashflow Capital Tips List (sent about 6 times a year - your username/email was still subscribed to this list)

This email wasnt even really selling anything. It was a Free Property Management offer by one of our partners that we setup to help anyone who was financially struggling with the rises in interest rates etc.

All of our emails/alerts/tips have unsubscribe links on them. It could be possible you have unsubscribed from the Overseas, and Australian Alerts but not the Tips list?

I have myself, personally removed your details from all of our mailing lists as of now though. So you wont get anything from us.

I can confirm that Somersoft has definitely not given us anyones email address and no other entity has sold us any mailinglist for Somersoft or any other mass mailing list for that matter.

It looks like yourself or someone has created the original membership with us. I have full details being username, firstname, surname, address and even a mobile phone number. (You can ring me on the contact number below if you want to check details further and see how it was setup)

Now in terms of having an "unfortunate experience" with CashflowCapital and not recommending us, thats fine, but according to our records you have never been a client for any of our services? So not sure how you can say that if you have never used us? I know we do annoy people as we dont divulge locations of the properties, but we are Buyers Agents, so we have to protect the interests of people who are actually using our services to source them a property.

As far as I know we havent had anyone unhappy with our services. On the rare event we have, we have sorted it out at the time. We are in the industry to make a difference, not to make enemies.

Anyway, if you have a legitimate gripe, then please do let me know and I can look at reimbursing you if you are not satisfied with any of our services. Contact me directly please. Dont use this forum though as I may not get to see it. Plus Somersoft has absolutely nothing to do with this as outlined above.

Have a nice day.

Technical Director
Alan Johnstron
CashflowCapital.com.au

Hello Mr Johnstron,
Please forgive my sceptisism.

I find it interesting that you suddenly, after my post start to frequent this forum and just happen upon my post. (??????)

I do not use this username for anything other than this forum and I agree that somebody or thing has added my details to your "Fully Subscribed Data Base.

What is more disconcerting is the fact that you have all my details.

I have absolutely no reason to join an overseas mailing list so do not see why I would have done so just to then unsubsribe.Furthermore joining three lists then unsubscribing from 2 out of three.

As is my want, I would not use the unsubscribe facility as they are usually used to confirm live addresses and the go ahead for a flood of spam.

Again, please excuse me for saying that your assurances carry little weight and I would be much more at ease to get some reassurance from one of the SS moderators.

Cheers Chrisv.

Alan

Notool8, you have said that you have had an experience with this company- but you have also said that That appears to be a small contradiction?

G'day Geoffw,

This is the full sentence:

This could mean that somebody at SS have devulged what should be confidential info about me or maybe somebody hacked the info and sold or passed it to these people.

No contradiction, I give two possible methods by which they could have gotten the info. Thre probably are others. Regardless it should be a heads up for those interested.

Mailing lists are traded all the time and if you care you could probably find a few on the net. Just google mialing lists. These are probably legit, there are heaps of shady ones out there.

Cheers chrisv.

Hi Chris,

Scepticism forgiven.

Trust me mate I have better things to do with my time than parade around on Forums. Our name is on other forums and we dont usually get involved. (except for one other forum we posted once) We have better things to do than waste time on forums selling our wares like other companies.

One of our loyal clients pointed it out to us and because it actually is pretty acusing what you are saying about us and the management even of this forum I think it is worth squashing asap.

I get notified when a post goes on so I get a message when someone/you post here so ...

As soon as you create an account with us you are automatically signed up to the lists. Unsubscribe links must be included on any ezine/newsletter/alert/whatever sent out as part of the law. Apart from it is just being the right thing to do. Whether you use them is up to you I guess. We have people that just send an email back saying remove me which obviously we also do.

In Australia there are serious implications for SPAM breaches. We arent sitting in the bahamas sending mass emails without a care in the world. This needs to be taken serious. Thats why I am addressing Chris's issue.

Chris we do have name, address, phone number on file. Either you or someone has manually signed up for an account with us. Asa courtesy to you, if you want to check these details to either proove or disapprove anything then give me a ring. I will keep the details there until Wednesday 14th in case you do. Otherwise I will remove them from the system. Let me know.

Pretty laughable that a well respected forum like SomerSoft would give/sell us your details but Somersoft can answer that one for you.

PS: To answer Geoff, (as I probably wont be back no offence guys)

Thanks for that. It is a bit of a fine line with that. Many moons ago - we originally had it set that way so that if you unsubscribe from one list it unsubscribed from all.

Problem was that we had to manually add them back onto the property alert list as they only wanted to remove from the Tips but get the property alerts or vice versa.

So we do have 3 separate lists but on any newsletter/email we have a link that says

"Unsubscribe from this list"
and straight underneath that "Unsubscribe/Subscribe from all lists" (or something to that effect)

Also on our website there is a pretty prominant display of the 'Manage all your subscriptions'.

I think we handle this subscription management all pretty OK.

I think this is a bit of a waste of internet space. So I will let you all get back to yours and my passion and thats finding your next IP. Thanks all have a nice night.

Technical Director
Alan Johnstron
CashflowCapital.com.au

G'day Geoffw,

This is the full sentence:

This could mean that somebody at SS have devulged what should be confidential info about me or maybe somebody hacked the info and sold or passed it to these people.

No contradiction, I give two possible methods by which they could have gotten the info. Thre probably are others. Regardless it should be a heads up for those interested.

Mailing lists are traded all the time and if you care you could probably find a few on the net. Just google mialing lists. These are probably legit, there are heaps of shady ones out there.

Cheers chrisv.

3rd is either you (forgotten or otherwise) or someone else has used your information to sign up for an account with us.

I will pm you my mobile phone number. Its 10.16pm at night here in Melbourne but if you want to call me thats fine I am up for another couple of hours I am happy to go over anything you want to help clear it up with you.

Also if you have a look at our website it clearly states what we can and cant do with info we collect. It isnt a copy I know how much we paid our solicitors to go over the site:

http://www.cashflowcapital.com.au/cashflow-capital-privacy-policy.html

Nobody on the Somersoft forums has access to your full contact details unless you have given it to them or somehow posted that information online - or unless it is publically available in some other way (phone book) ?

As I already mentioned, your email address is never made available to other people unless you specifically use the "send email to XXX" feature. It cannot be harvested directly from the forum and the list of email addresses has not and will never be sold or given away or otherwise be made available to a third party for any purpose.

There are strict laws about privacy in Australia which now include spam and the distribution of personal information. Email addresses from Somersoft have never been distributed to anyone, nor will they ever be.

Without commenting on anything else on the thread, personal details such as names and addresses couldn't have been 'leaked' from Somersoft, since those details aren't part of the registration process.
Alex

I have had occasion to speak to Alan about this matter and whilst I am still baffled as to where they got my SS logon from, I am satisfied that there is no malice here.

Alex,

Thanks for the info and on reflection, I realize that the info in CC posession could not have come from SS because it was never supplied.

My paranoia is probably unfounded yet, I make no excuses for that as stories of ID theft abound.

Thank you to the moderators for your attention.

Here the matters rests. Case closed.

Cheers Chrisv.

Back