Somersoft Enters Pre-Election Blackout

Interesting, Somersoft has entered a pre-election black out period.

So it effects not just traditional media, but also online chat sites.

No, actually. We have a situation where a member who does not post using their own name (at least not their full name) has requested a degree of privacy and doesn't wish to have their personal life discussed openly on the forum.

This is a basic right we offer all members of the forum - if they choose to post anonymously, then they have a right to do so, and we ask other members to respect that and not post about them or their personal lives.

You may not see it (because it happens behind the scenes), but this occurs fairly frequently on the forum - we have requests from people who are concerned about their personal information being posted (usually innocently) by other members (and sometimes by themselves!) who divulge a little more detail than is preferred.

Think of it like this. If someone was to find out something personal about the user called "Intrinsic_Value" (for example), and post it on the forum - you would have the right to request its removal. You don't post using your real name and you have a right to expect a degree of privacy. We don't allow posts about your personal life or about your work situation.

Regardless of how "public" someone might be in their personal lives, their forum persona and their non-forum person are two completely separate things and this separation should be respected.

There is no protectionism or censorship happening here - it is simply protecting basic privacy in exactly the same way we do for all members of the forums.

Considering what happened to the liberal candidate in Lake Mac over comments on a car forum 8 years ago it makes sense.

Although I reckon some digging has already been done.

Although I reckon some digging has already been done.

Digging has already been done. My actions are not about preventing the past from coming out (what is done is done) ... my actions are about preventing this site becoming ground-zero for any future issues. It's more self-interest than anything :p

Digging has already been done. My actions are not about preventing the past from coming out (what is done is done) ... my actions are about preventing this site becoming ground-zero for any future issues. It's more self-interest than anything :p

Makes sense when you put it like that :D

I make no qualms about disagreeing with individuals over some issues, but it is never personal, and it is only fair for all of us to respect the wishes of those individuals when it comes to matters like this :cool:

It is a reminder to be careful what you say and be mindful how public your comments can become. It's not always easy to have your comments removed at a later date.

Back