So, Have You Donated Yet?

G'Day

I am ashamed to say that it took me until today to put my hand in my pocket to assist my fellow Australians.

When the Indonesian Tsunami hit on Boxing Day, 2004, I was so shocked that I went straight to the computer and donated to the first available relief fund

When the Victorian Fires were burning, with smoke in our own home in the suburbs, we donated and Mike's Company also launched an appeal and announced a dollar-for-dollar salary sacrifice / company contribution scheme. I was so affected by the sheer horror of it all, I even rang and offered the Bomb Site as free accommodation for anyone brave enough to want to live in it!

But it was only after seeing the news yesterday and today with the 'raging torrent' in Toowoomba that I realised how bad this really is. Up until now, what with Christmas and other interruptions to news coverage, it has seemed to be a sort of crisis in slow motion, just a bit wet, a minor inconvenience. I don't watch much TV and The Age has had only a few pictures - the cricket has had more coverage than the floods. And hey, it's Queensland and it rains there ... floods the size of France & Germany? Bigger than Victoria? Well, Queensland always does things on the big size. Where else would you find a Big Banana?

But watching today as ordinary people sat on their roofs, as ordinary people formed human chains to pass elderly people to safety, as ordinary people ran into raging torrents to pull out total strangers, as ordinary people said 'Well, we'll just have to get on with it, that's the Australian way!'.

So if you haven't sent over your donation yet, well, you're online now, so why not log in to your internet banking and send what you can spare to:

Account name: Queensland Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal
BSB: 013-265
Account number: 2491-15524

You can verify the account details at www.anz.com

Let's form a human financial chain and give some other Aussies a hand!

cheers
Kristine

I'm pleased to say my work is matching dollar for dollar as well. Pay days is this thurs, it will be interesting to see how much will be raised by weeks end.

But slightly off topic.Last I checked the big banana was in Coffs harbour which is on the nsw north coast. Unless there's one in QLD?

I donated this morning to the RSPCA QLD
https://donate.rspcaqld.org.au/flood

During the Vic fires I donated to Wildlife Victoria and was also involved in 3 mini-concerts in affected areas.

Scared pets, wildlife and farm animals need help too and the poor things have little chance in these situations.

The news said the amount of water there is equivalent to Sydney Harbour! Still having trouble getting my head around this despite seeing all the news footage.

I think I'll be with RedCat & donate to the wildlife/animal funds.

This is so awful, I feel sick for all those people & poor animals & really still cannot believe this is happenning.

I am ashamed to say that it took me until today to put my hand in my pocket to assist my fellow Australians.

I have to say unashamedly that NO, I have not donated. This is what I pay taxes for. How is it that the government can constantly give 10's of millions to other countries for disasters,and ($500m to Indonesia for schools, etc),

We gave a total of $1.8b to Indonesia after the Tsunami.
The Australian government's $1 billion aid package to Indonesia
"The $1 billion is in addition to existing Australian aid to Indonesia, taking the total contribution to $1.8 billion."

Have we even reached $30mil for our own people from the government?? It's about time the governments showed some charity at home.

I'm sorry, but this is what I pay my taxes for, and this is what my Australian taxes should be used for. Giving donations is like getting taxed again.
Maybe if the government didn't waste so much money, they would have a lot more when needed in situations like this. We give $40K free cash (in FHOG and stamp duty exceptions) to bludging FHO (or $6K baby bonus to people choosing to have kids), yet can barely give $1000 to people (or $15K to business) who have lost everything.

But if you people feel that the government should not shoulder the responsibility, then by all means, give more money.

Last edited:
I concur with bluestorm.

It all good and well thinking that you have helped those people that you see on TV struggling in the water or watching their house float away but the reality is that little gets to those people and in the end it is a big mess distributing the money or goods.

Going back to the most recent fires I remember reading that a year or more later there were still discussions on how to distribute the money and in the end everybody has to be given some (to be fair) rather than to the most needy that you thought you wanted to contribute to.

One article I can find about the distribution debacle is as follows but there was much discussion

http://www.news.com.au/national/bush-fire-donations-rot-in-storage/story-e6frfkvr-1225811582677

As far as giving to more established charities that makes more sense but the reality again is that your dollars will not necessarily be used for the cause that you intended. Most charities love a disaster as it boosts their donations (but maybe that's just me being ultra cynical)

Cheers

I think its hard to know the amount needed at this stage because a lot of the damage will be covered by insurance.

We did get a call from RSPCA though, they were collecting funds for QLD animals

IAs far as giving to more established charities that makes more sense but the reality again is that your dollars will not necessarily be used for the cause that you intended. Most charities love a disaster as it boosts their donations (but maybe that's just me being ultra cynical)

No your absolutely right handyandy. Please think they are donating to the charities for a specific cause, but a hugh amount of the money never actually ends up getting spent.

The following is from Canada, but it happens in every charity all around the world.
Red Cross yet to spend $200M of tsunami cash

So donate if you like to the "flood" appeals. But don't expect that your money will actually reach the people who need it.

i put in a small donation yesterday. i agree with supporting organisations such as the rspca ... they do fabulous work.

i love this photo - sums it up really

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8195243/frog-hitches-ride-with-snake-to-flee-floods

just wish i lived a bit closer, as have 3 spare bedrooms available. having had a girlfriend go thru cyclone tracey (and myself pasha storms of 2007), it is the simple things, like somewhere to stay and a few clothes, that make all the difference.

I work for one of the country's largest health insurers and they have offered financial relief in the form of relief from premium payments on a case by case basis, for all health, overseas and student health memberships affected.

They are also in discussions with the Qld government to offer mental health counselling and referral service via one of our businesses to anyone who may require this.

They will also match any donations via our gift matching donations dollar for dollar. In addition they will be making a separate donation, with an announcement apparently in the next few days.

You'll have to excuse me as I don't follow the news so am completely oblivious as to what's happening up there - could someone answer me, why is the Govt. not assisting with temporary funds until insurance policies kick in? Why is there a need for public donations?

I will be donating to the RSPCA as I'm an animal lover and they are often the forgotten victims of these tragedies. Hopefully insurance and government will come to the aid of the people financially. No amount of money will be able to assist those who lose loved ones or irreplaceable posessions such as photo albums though. :(

oh wow.... what lovely people you are to simply state that the bloody government should just pay for it, i already pay my taxes...

yes the government should most definitely pay for a lot of this with our taxes, but have you thought that the billions and billions of dollars to repair the damage has to come from somewhere? that it will be taken from other areas of government, schools, hospitals, protection etc. Have you thought that the more money that is given the quicker they will get back on their feet, the quicker their businesses will be back up and running and back supporting our economy.

I am ashamed to be an Australian if that is the attitude around the country, i hope that you are in the minority. Stop being a damn tightarse and put your hands in your pockets... its not all about you, we all (the government AND the community) need to band together to help, that is what being an active member of this country is all about. Have some compassion for your fellow countrymen (and animals). A collective effort by all is required to help all those affected.

Disgraceful, i dont recall ever being so mad as i was when i read your posts.

If the likelihood of these natural disasters are becoming more regular or even if not, should not governments set aside, similar to the Future Fund, amounts of money to pay for the social infrastructure such as bridges, roads, rail-lines etc in these scenarios.

yes the government should most definitely pay for a lot of this with our taxes, but have you thought that the billions and billions of dollars to repair the damage has to come from somewhere?

That comes from taxes as well. You think the Red Cross will be busy fixing QLD road??
The government gave away $14B in $900 handouts. Or maybe not waste $42B on a NBN that will be obsolete technology by the time it's finished in 8yrs (I work in IT, and I know).

Sorry mate. If you think your donations are going to help, then donate by all means. When the government stops wasting my taxes on rubbish, and uses it for useful stuff, I may think about donating. Until then, the government gets $70K a year in taxes from us. Use $10K of my tax as a donation!!.

the governments will be fixing the infrastructure, Red Cross et el will be assisting people by clothing feeding and housing those that have LOST EVERYTHING... but good for you, you keep that stance and fail to be an active member of the community, i just hope that one day you need the services of an organisation like the Red Cross and they are unable to help you because of people like you...

as i said, it takes a collective effort from EVERYONE!

but you just worry about YOUR bottom line, and YOUR nice warm bed, and YOUR full wardrobe of clothes and YOUR full pantry and YOUR nice dry house. That will keep the world turning for sure.... PLUR

Quick side question: Did RedCross ever end up giving out all the money they collected for the bushfire victims? Is that info. available somewhere?

I'm not trying to be a pr!ck - it's a legitimate question I don't know the answer to, but I remember reading at the time that they have a habit in these times of collecting but not so good in giving it all out.

By the way, I'm with Biggles - all my charity money goes to animals who are often forgotten, especially in these sorts of times. There's usually plenty of people clamouring over themselves to give to humans, animals aren't so lucky... :(

I will be sending mine through today.

For those who are stating that 'their taxes should pay for it', i sincerely hope you never are in such a situation as the people in qld, but if you are i hope you dont use a releif centre, get some warm clothes or have a simple cup of tea and a chat with someone as these all come from the donations of others.

Back