Smart Wiring

Hi All

I'm looking at putting Smart Wiring into my PPOR that is to be built in WA.

Does anyone have it?

What are the good and bad (if any) things about it?

Can anyone recommend a company to do the work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Regrow

Some bad things are:

Doesn't add a lot of value - rarely as much as you spend.
Use ducting - Technologies and therefore required cables change over time, not easy to replace unless ducted. e.g. Component video to HDMI, CAT5 to CAT8.

Obviously the good things are:

More toys....

Couldn't recommend anyone in WA. Stay away from sparky's who have never done it before - they will prob end up running it close to your mains (very bad for interference). Ideally should be run perpendicular when it crosses mains.

duncan_m

Smart wiring for.. PCs? Sound? video? lighting.. all of the above?

All of the above

doreilly

Thanks for the info. Will keep the ducting idea in mind. Probably will go with a proven company not a sparky.

Regards

Regrow

All of the above

Regrow, you need to decide on the technology first, then find the company.. I'm biased, but I'm great fan of Clipsal's C-Bus for lighting and other electrical control.. it easily integrates with other devices using IR or RS232..

You can find info about C-Bus here:

http://www3.clipsal.com/cis/portal/index.php?s=residential

You can find a list of System Integrators for C-Bus here :

http://www3.clipsal.com/cis/portal/index.php?s=installer

All of those companies would be able to provide structured cabling for Data, video and audio as well.

There are active Forums for C-Bus over at http://www.cbusforums.com you could canvas for installers there and ask questions about the products.

Disclosure: I do contract software work for Clipsal on C-Bus products.

Hi All

I'm looking at putting Smart Wiring into my PPOR that is to be built in WA.

Does anyone have it?

What are the good and bad (if any) things about it?

Can anyone recommend a company to do the work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Regrow

Regrow,

Is it something that a spec home builder has bundled? Be aware that what they generally throw in as a base package is usually not much more than a (very small) amount of data/video cabling. It really depends on what you want. If its to add value probably don't bother. However if you're in for the long haul then it maybe a worthwhile lifestyle investment.

I'd be careful not to alienate the reseller market by going too over the top. I eventually pulled lots of planned stuff out as I began to worry about it actually hindering a possible resale. While in reality it only makes your life easier, there are technophobes around every corner that will run a mile when they see a data point, let alone one of my light switches with an LCD screen on it ;)

To go the whole hog, it can become quite cost prohibitive especially with likes of cbus if you need to get an integrator involved every time it needs tweaking. I have an IT/programming background so ended up getting an electrician to install gear i had supplied/programmed.

In our new house (moved in on the weekend - yay) I used c-bus for lighting control, this is to be integrated with the security system. I have about 15 drops of data cable and about the same in RG6 coax which all terminate in one place.This gives me the 'pipework' i need to expand in the future.

Feel free to give me a yell for more info or if you like, come have a look...

I may even host a PIG night once we get sorted properly ;)

Cheers,

Bruce

The main benefit of a smart-wired house is giving you options. I can't see the point of hooking all of your rooms to the Internet or the house local-area-network, when you really only need a study cabled up for Internet and the kitchen/main bedroom cabled up with a phone.

Instead, go wireless. It's movable. It's cheaper. :) If you are friendly with your neighbours you can both share one internet connection.

-- MJ.

Hi All.

Mja - Why? Because when you have a family, they all want PC's etc. Wireless isn't perfect - I've got it and I know!

C-Bus - Great product, but unless it's the wireless one, you have to custom wire the house. Great if you know ahead of time, have all the money up front and can do it when you're building. Otherwise - Pain. Shame it's not like X-10 PLC (talk over powerline). Easier to retrofit etc.

When I built my PPOR just over 7 years ago, I cabled it - over 1.2Km of cable. It's been great for lots of things, occasionally a problem, but that's more because of me and not doing some things right first time. :eek:

What I love.....
You want a phone point where? No problem.
You want a network point where? OK.
You want to watch the DVD in the lounge? Bedroom? Family? OK.
Want to rotate the home theater room. Speakers changed in 10 minutes. TV moved in 1 minute.
Piped House Music. Sure, upstairs, downstairs of both?
Someone at the door? Answer any phone (pabx). Want to let them in? Press the button and the door unlocks.....

Things I should have done better....
Get a professional to cable the TV points. It needs amplifiers and balanced splitters (DOH!) Still have to get someone in to "fix" my work there...It works, but could be better.

And you'd be suprised what works over Cat5. Even my irrigation system runs over Cat5!

I just wish I had the time finish it properly. That's the problem when you know how to do it yourself, and you do :rolleyes:

Install a wireless pci card in the PC. Problem solved. :)

-- MJ.

Personally.. I think wireless for data networks within houses sucks.. it kinda works.. but when you're doing a big download, someone else is streaming video to a player and there's a backup going on over the network it falls apart.. and in a large house performance is always variable.

If you're in the luxurious position of building a house I'd ALWAYS run multilpe Cat5/6 drop points to every room..

This thread is more than just data.. there's sound, video and most importantly Lighting and other electrical requirements being considered.. and of course the integration of them all.

If you're in the luxurious position of building a house I'd ALWAYS run multilpe Cat5/6 drop points to every room..
Duncan,

Did that. I ran Cat 5 to every room as well as quad shield co-ax. I've got a central patch panel where I can redirect anything anywhere. Only problem is I don't use any of it as I'm still a bit of a techno numpty. At least the next guy will have a house with some decent wiring... :eek:

Cheers,
Michael.

Duncs

had a look at a house a while ago and the agent was going on about the smart wiring that was in the place . Said it cost 40K . Is that a ball park figure or a Agent exageration ?

See Change

and then you get the other 95% of the population, like me, where it doesn't push any of my buttons, couldn't care less, the wireless broadband works really well with 4 computers running off it at once, the cordless phone goes round the whole yard and with 3 tv's there are only so many places they can shift to.

Yes Lizzie, but wouldn't it be nice to come home from work and the washing has just finished, the lights come on in all the right places, your favourite musics starts gently playing in the background, your coffee is ready, everything in the house controllable from touchpanel & remote and........ the list goes on.

Technology can be a great thing and it can be a headache. Do it right the first time and it can make all the difference that you never knew existed.

$40k is a feasible spend and is starting to get into a fully integrated household package. It all depends on what is installed. I would suggest $20k would be a minimum spend for a decent basic system.

cheers

wireless. yuk. spent many years in IT. Installed wireless over last few years for clients who didn't want to spend on wired Cat5. Maybe 20 clients all up. Not one of them now is still using wireless - too many dropouts and unexplainable failures requiring me to come back and reconfigure.

They all eventually installed Cat5. All working, no problems.

With a wireless ( cordless ) phone, you can hear when you have bad reception. When wireless network drops out/slows down, you don't know if it's your PC, or the other end, or the microwave/cordless phone next door, or the ISP, or the fibre to the states, or the webserver in Boston.

When building new house and walls are open, install Cat5e or maybe even Cat6, for computers and phones.

Go for the fancy C-bus systems if you want that level of control over your environment ( rather save that money and buy a huge flat screen TV instead ! )

What's the difference between Cat5e and Cat6. Last house we built we put in some Blue data cable with plugs in most rooms ( though we never used it ).

At the moment we have a slab on the ground for PPOR and we're planing on staying for a while. Down side is we don't have cable access as it's a battle axe with no Cable at this stage in the street .

ADSL only and even satellite might be dodge with all the trees. Current house doesn't have coverage for pay TV . Personally this isn't an issue , but for some it is.

See Change

Cat 6 is newer and faster than Cat5e

read http://www.broadbandutopia.com/caandcaco.html

You can run 1000mb/s Ethernet ( Gigabit Ethernet ) along Cat5e or Cat6

Cost difference is minimal - maybe 10% more for Cat 6. Get quotes from your licensed/accredited/certified cabler.

Gigabit Ethernet is only an advantage in the house if you have media apps running ( like all your music on one PC, that parents & kids listen to on various PCs around the house. No more CD/DVD sharing and them getting scratched/trashed/lost.

But then, 100Meg Ethernet is quite OK. Most new PCs now have Gigabit Ethernet ports, but not many people use them yet as Gigabit switches are pricey.

If all you do is use Internet, then either 100M or Gigabit is OK, as you'll probably only get 1.5M ADSL.

If iinet enable your exchange and you are within 4ks, you may get ADSL2 at various speeds up to 24M. The closer you are to exchange, the faster.

For the extra cost, go Cat6, unless your cabler advises otherwise.

You can run 100M over Cat6.

Thanks for all the replies.

Certainly is a lot to look into.

We only want it for sound to various rooms, Tv to any room and for the internet to all rooms.

Can the cat 5/6 cables be run down the walls with the electrical cables or should they have their own conduit placed in wall?

Regards

Regrow

Data cabling must meet physical separation standards from power cabling.

Generally, if their is 150mm airgap, or the data cabling is in conduit, then is OK.

It is illegal to install data cabling yourself.

Your certified cabler will know how to install it to meet standards, and should give you signed paperwork certifying the install.

what are the consequences of installing data cables yourself?

I'm thinking about wiring up my house and i can do it myself but obviously i don't have a license to do so.

Back